Meaning of Soul and Spirit

JUpiter

JUpiter
Total Posts:  88
Joined  28-12-2005

29 January 2006 06:28

Albert Schweitzer has stated: "Whenever we penetrate to the heart of things, we always find a mystery. Life and all that goes with it is unfathomable."

"They say that we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of death". It's a short and sweet attention-grabber - but the science behind that sentence adds up to zero.

"Our birth was Coincidence, our Soul and our Spirit is not."
                                                            Jupiter

So, what is actualy Soul and Spirit ? can we rely on dictionary, to
really find out what is the meaning behind those words ?

Soul -
1. The animating and vital principle in humans, credited with the faculties of thought, action, and emotion and often conceived as an immaterial entity.
2. The spiritual nature of humans, regarded as immortal, separable from the body at death, and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.
3. The disembodied spirit of a dead human.

Spirit -
1. a. The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
  b. Incorporeal consciousness.
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.

All I see here is, that Dictionary teaches us how Soul is synonym for
Spirit, and other way around, and that Dictionary teaches us
Religion, by saying there is something after our physical death, that
can be called "Ours"

" Soul is distance between our first and last breath, everything we know, say, and do is our Spirit.
Therefore every living organism have Soul and Spirit. "
                                                  Jupiter          

What do you guys think ?
                            Jewpiter

PS : ( Just like All living people, Atheists are highly spiritual, and Extremely passionate, because they want to be called Atheist,
instead of " Normal people ".)

hampsteadpete

hampsteadpete
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  21-12-2004

29 January 2006 09:04

Interesting topic.  It is a fact that I am not aware of any credible evidence that anything, anything at all, survives the death of the brain stem, as medical science defines death.  How is that for hedging?  There may be evidence, I’m just saying that either I am not aware, or I do not believe it to be credible.

If the above is a universal truth, and not just Pete’s truth, it would seem to follow that either what the religious refer to as a ‘soul’ does not exist, cannot exist, or it is something outside of our physical body and does not require any form of life support.

If the latter were true, it would seem that those who believe that the soul enters the ‘body’ at conception are full of crap, otherwise you would have all these spare souls hanging around from miscarriages, etc..

I have never seen, nor am I aware of any credible evidence for any sort of a ‘hereafter,’ or life after death.  If there is no ‘soul’ in the physical sense, what would then experience a hereafter?  Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Anyone who has had the experience of watching a loved one deteriorate from strokes or some other affliction knows that the ‘essence’ of what that person was departs, in some cases, weeks prior to the death of the body.  What then would be the condition of whatever is supposed to experience the afterlife?  What do the religious have to say about this?

I would like to see what others think about this.

Iisbliss

Iisbliss
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  22-12-2004

29 January 2006 10:06

My spirituality comes from the realization of the human condition we all share.

We are aware of ourselves, we are aware of our enviroment, we are aware of others, we can empathize and understand others.

We all need to eat, to sleep, and we are all aware that our lifetime is very short.

We are aware of a past, and a future.

Spirituality is an interesting word.  It actually means to me more a concept of shared consciousness, not that we all share the same one, but that we share the burden/blessing of being conscious.

It actually used to mean just a belief in spirits, usually those of the deceased. 

I too have seen alot of death, and my experience is much like hampsteade’s,  what we are is very closely tied into the condition of our physical brain. 

I would like to think that all our memories, and those experiences that make us who we are are all being stored in some nice hyperspace intra-dimensional hard drive for us to access with some kind of conscious energy we might posess after death, but I doubt it. = (

MJ

MJ
Total Posts:  278
Joined  24-02-2005

30 January 2006 00:07

I knew that there were those who had diligently weighed people before and after death to “prove” that the soul had departed from the body, but I didn’t suspect that anyone still took this seriously. The immediate problem with this would be that if the soul really has any physical weight the loss of which can be measured at death, then the soul would have to be made of matter, just like the body, and not made of “spirit” or “supernatural” and if that’s the case it couldn’t really be immortal because all matter decays into other forms eventually.

As for the soul entering the body at conception, even the church fathers argued against this being possible because of the “twin problem.” The argument was that this couldn’t be true because the egg divides into twins after conception, and thus one twin would have to have no soul.

snakechic

snakechic
Total Posts:  326
Joined  16-06-2005

30 January 2006 08:56

[quote author=“hampsteadpete”]

I have never seen, nor am I aware of any credible evidence for any sort of a ‘hereafter,’ or life after death.  If there is no ‘soul’ in the physical sense, what would then experience a hereafter?  Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Anyone who has had the experience of watching a loved one deteriorate from strokes or some other affliction knows that the ‘essence’ of what that person was departs, in some cases, weeks prior to the death of the body.  What then would be the condition of whatever is supposed to experience the afterlife?  What do the religious have to say about this?

I would like to see what others think about this.

Yes…without sounding too trite…I’ve observed the same thing when my pets have died and been sick. Does that mean animals have souls…not according to the ‘religious’.
I guess you could say, however, that this is pretty good evidence that humans are related to animals?

The other main stumbling block for the ‘afterlife’ theory is that in order for the soul to progress foward after life, it must contain some of the ‘essence’ of the person. In other words its condition. My observations have been similar, that in the case of people who ‘loose’ their ‘essence’ - ie. senility/dementia - there is nothing to float airly up toward any kind of mythical tunnel of light….zilch the brain is vacant of consciousness.

Nah…I recon the ‘religious’ mind or theory depends on a whole framework of other or supporting beliefs in order to pull that wool over their own eyes.

SitDogmaSit

SitDogmaSit
Total Posts:  153
Joined  05-01-2006

30 January 2006 16:47

I have memories of people from my life who have died.  Those memories tend to capture a part of the essense of that person, or their soul, or my interpretation of who they were.  Not in a literal sense, unless you equate the physical chemical structure of their memory in my brain as part of that person’s essense, which I don’t think makes sense.

But that memory replays consciously or in dreams.  And even though that person is gone, memories and dreams to me and my brain can seem real, can feel real.  And to people thousands of years ago, what *felt* real maybe *was* real.

From my perspective, the physical man that is my father and the memories I have of him are two distinct things.  And in the throes of grief, vivid memories become real.

I think that’s the origin of soul and spirit, and the definitions of animating matter and where it goes after death came later.

It seems some of this gets back to the fact that the brain as an organ can not sense itself; it has no feeling.  It’s as if it’s not quite aware of its own *physical* existence, only the idea or thought of its own existence.

Tash004

Tash004
Total Posts:  1
Joined  20-10-2018

21 October 2018 00:04

It would be so wonderful if the idea of a soul did exist. Imagine being able to freely communicate thoughts and ideas with intellectuals like Sam in an afterlife? I started reading “Journey of Souls” by Michael Newton before I was introduced to Sam Harris books and podcasts. The thing that really got to me to question these “memories” of people who have travelled through time, is when the Doctor would direct his patients into a “desirable” space to answer his questions by quickly counting to three.