Lama Ole Nydhal’s Diamond Way

denk82

denk82
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-03-2013

12 March 2013 21:07

Being interested in some time in Tibetan Buddhism, I eventually came across a couple of years ago Diamond Way Buddhism which seems to be all across the western world run by Lama Ole Nydhal. I realize there is a thread already about Tibetan Buddhism but Im more focussing this on Diamond Way itself if possible.

Is it a cult? multi million dollar money making machine? sexual abuse? Discuss please. I have visited before and had always an eerie feeling about the whole set up.

dharmaresearcher

dharmaresearcher
Total Posts:  5
Joined  20-01-2015

19 April 2015 15:05

I know this is an old question now, but did you see this paper from vol. one, number one of “Religion and Gender”?

http://www.religionandgender.org/index.php/rg/article/viewFile/URN:NBN:NL:UI:10-1-101579/21

Here’s the abstract of that paper (whole thing is creative commons!):

Macho Buddhism: Gender and Sexualities in the Diamond Way
BURKHARD SCHERER
Abstract
Western Tibetan Buddhist movements have been described as bourgeois and puritanical in previous scholarship. In contrast, Ole Nydahl’s convert lay Karma Kagyu Buddhist movement, the Diamond Way, has drawn attention for its apparently hedonistic style. This article addresses the wider issues of continuity and change during the transition of Tibetan Buddhism from Asia to the West. It analyses views on and performances of gender, sexual ethics and sexualities both diachronically through textual-historical source and discourse analysis and synchronically through qualitative ethnography. In this way the article demonstrates how the approaches of contemporary gender and sexualities studies can serve as a way to question the Diamond Way Buddhism’s location in the ‘tradition vs modernity’ debate. Nydahl’s pre-modern gender stereotyping, the hetero-machismo of the Diamond Way and the mildly homophobic tone and content of Nydahl’s teaching are interpreted in light of Indian and Tibetan Buddhist sexual ethics and traditional Tibetan cultural attitudes on sexualities. By excavating the emic genealogy of Nydahl’s teachings, the article suggests that Nydahl’s and the Diamond Way’s view on and performance of gender and sexualities are consistent with his propagation of convert Buddhist neo- orthodoxy.

[ Edited: 19 April 2015 15:08 by dharmaresearcher]

Dearia9

Dearia9
Total Posts:  1
Joined  15-09-2020

15 September 2020 06:59

It’s actually very very very difficult to find a teacher that has such level of realization. The judgement of the crowds about freedom and meaningful behaviour in the present times with such levels of cheap morality make it very difficult for people to discriminate between truth and fixed concepts. I’ve been a student of Lama Ole for 16 years and I have no doubt that he experiences the true nature of mind all the time.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16192
Joined  17-12-2006

16 September 2020 22:44

Dearia9 - 15 September 2020 06:59 AM

It’s actually very very very difficult to find a teacher that has such level of realization. The judgement of the crowds about freedom and meaningful behaviour in the present times with such levels of cheap morality make it very difficult for people to discriminate between truth and fixed concepts. I’ve been a student of Lama Ole for 16 years and I have no doubt that he experiences the true nature of mind all the time.

I experience the true nature of mind all the time, too. But that doesn’t mean that in terms of the relative nature of mind I don’t express beliefs and attitudes that are conditioned by personal and cultural experience. If he’s good for you, fine.