For the imaginary asshole in the sky

Hulkafunda

Hulkafunda
Total Posts:  3
Joined  20-09-2014

14 October 2014 09:36

I have a big fat middle finger for the imaginary asshole in the sky.

He succeeds to fool billions of folks that he exists without revealing himself to them.

That’s ridiculously idiotic

Mark P.

Mark P.
Total Posts:  7
Joined  27-01-2014

30 March 2015 14:00

Unfortunately religion is also an important aspect of what makes us human, albeit one that doesn’t resonate with you and me.  Maybe call it an overextension of the human need for understanding.  A need that often trumps the need for evidence and depends to a certain degree on delusion.  Self-delusion is not restricted to the religious, I refer you to: Kidding ourselves; the hidden power of self-deception / Joseph T. Hallinan.
What I’m really putting forth here is that nothing here is black and white, except black and white, and your indignant comment does nothing to move our, or others’ self-awareness forward. 
Ironically you refer to “he” as though he exists.

[ Edited: 30 March 2015 14:04 by Mark P.]

QueenofSpades

QueenofSpades
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-07-2015

10 July 2015 12:00

First of all Hulkafunda who are you talking to? He doesn’t fool anyone. The people fool themselves. Your anger is misdirected. The Islamic faith and their behavior seem to be match exactly what Sam has alluded to in many of his discussions and books. Mindfulness of where and what we are allows us to stay calm in the storm. I think it is a shame that American politics has been hijacked by Christians. I hope that one day this will not be so.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  915
Joined  01-11-2014

25 July 2015 13:19

Hulkafunda, your scenario reminds me of the ending to one of Kurt Vonnegut’s novels, Cats Cradle.

The protagonist of the novel lies down on a hilltop, extends this middle finger towards the sky and to God, and then places a crystal of “Ice 9” into his mouth which immediately freezes him solid. For all eternity, he’ll be giving God the Finger.

And if I still believed in the Christian/Muslim/Judeo god, I’d join in and give him the finger too.

However, that concept of this god was simply too absurd, ridiculous and infantile for me to belief in after I reached young adulthood. It takes way too much cognitive dissonance to believe in such a flawed, capricious and mean-spirited deity. This “God of Love” created beings which must kill and eat each other in order to survive. Even the ones that don’t eat meat must feast on the plants, which themselves are living entities. He also created diseases, parasites, horrible genetic mutations and natural disasters, (also called Acts of God) which have caused unending misery and suffering for the beings which he supposedly loves so much. How people can reconcile such a gruesome situation with a Loving Creator of All Things, is simply mind-boggling. I admire our pagan ancestors who believed in Zeus and his Mount Olympus entourage more than the Christians, Muslims and Jews, because they accepted that Zeus could be a moody son-of-a-bitch who could send a lightning bolt down at any time to smite you for no other reason than He felt like it. The pagans were at least honest about the nature of reality and didn’t try to twist themselves into knots trying to explain away the suffering of the world the way Christians, Muslims and Jews do.

There is without a doubt, order and beauty to this universe and to the sentient beings that exist within it. This order could very well have some form of intelligence or consciousness behind it. Philosopher Alan Watts used to quote Matthew from the bible by saying:

People don’t pick grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles.

By this he meant that you don’t get intelligent, creative and sensitive beings from a dead and stupid universe. We are conscious, intelligent beings who cannot be subtracted from this universe. We are living proof that the universe has consciousness and intelligence.

The next question to this would be: Is this an accident or not?

I simply do not know, which is why I consider myself an agnostic.

But whether or not this is a “godless” universe, one thing is certain: It sure is one hell of a good show.

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Total Posts:  139
Joined  09-09-2015

29 September 2015 19:42

Hulkafunda - 14 October 2014 09:36 AM

He succeeds to fool billions of folks that he exists without revealing himself to them.

Careful now, you could be giving the Middle Finger to Nick Bostrom’s ancestors who are running this computer program. Keep it interesting.

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Joined  09-09-2015

29 September 2015 19:44

Sarcastic Fringehead - 25 July 2015 01:19 PM

But whether or not this is a “godless” universe, one thing is certain: It sure is one hell of a good show.

Right, because thousands (if not millions) of people starving in africa, is a good show.  Rose colored glasses, put on.

If it’s a scientific computer experiment, it certainly could care less about suffering. daily.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

03 October 2015 14:54

Larry Olson, I don’t think you took the time to read my above comment properly.

Basically, I was making the point that it is precisely because “thousands (if not millions) of people are starving in Africa” — among countless other grizzly occurrences that cause suffering to every sentient being on Earth — that I do not believe in god. Well, at least the god of the Judeo/Christian/Muslim variety.

I would hardly say that I’m wearing “rose-colored glasses” because I also choose to enjoy the beauty and mystery of this life of ours and the universe of which we are a part.

As far as all of this being some alien, egghead, computer experiment, Max Tegmark said that it is highly unlikely that this is the case. If it was, then whose to say we aren’t a computer experiment within a computer experiment, within a computer experiment, ad infinitum?

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Joined  09-09-2015

04 October 2015 01:40

Sarcastic Fringehead - 03 October 2015 02:54 PM

I would hardly say that I’m wearing “rose-colored glasses”

Sarcastic Fringehead - 03 October 2015 02:54 PM

I also choose to enjoy the beauty and mystery of this life of ours and the universe of which we are a part.

Nya, you’re wearing rose colored glasses.  There is nothing beautiful about our universe.  We could make the universe beautiful in the future, though (small probability, like a angel dancing on a pinhead), but no one has even come close to starting this project. Except for maybe Daniel Sheehan, and a few others who are trying to stop the heat death of the universe. When you are born into a universe that is predetermined to be dead, you’ve GOT to be wearing rose colored glasses to not opt out (I am glad Europe allows euthanization to be legal).

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

04 October 2015 10:50

There is nothing beautiful about our universe.

Oh my, my, my … you’ve got to be kidding me.

The Hubble Space Telescope pictures make you feel nothing? Mountains, forests, deserts, tropical jungles make you feel nothing? Animals, insects, sea life and birds of all assortment and variety make you feel nothing? The starry night sky makes you feel nothing? The wonders of science make you feel nothing? Beautiful women make you feel nothing?

You are grandstanding my friend, trying to impress me with what tough-minded guy you are. Yeah, you’re a real hardcore nihilist.

I don’t believe it.

And as far as:

When you are born into a universe that is predetermined to be dead, you’ve GOT to be wearing rose colored glasses to not opt out (I am glad Europe allows euthanization to be legal).

What bullshit Larry.

The Big Freeze will happen in trillions of years, if at all. I don’t think it’s something to be worrying about in the blink-of-an-eye lifespan that we have as human beings. And if you really felt this way, you would have already put an end to it.

Naw, not buying it.

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Joined  09-09-2015

04 October 2015 22:01

Sarcastic Fringehead - 04 October 2015 10:50 AM

The Hubble Space Telescope pictures make you feel nothing?

Astromony is a bunch of violent firey stars blowing up randomly unsupportive to intelligent life. Nothing interesting here. I’ve never had much interest in astronomy, but I envy and admire people like Neil De Grasse Tyson and Lawrence Krauss who study it and produce papers on it. However, it is wearing rose colored glasses to think that a bunch of idiotic exploding stars blowing up and crashing into other stars, is somehow good. In fact it is what killed the dinosaurs, and might kill us.

Mountains, forests, deserts, tropical jungles make you feel nothing?

I like mountains, and trees, but only because I am deluded. When I deeply think about mountains, what they actually are, is things that get in the way of growing food crops and force people to build roads around them and through them, instead of a more sensible land like say hills or flat land that are much easier to live in. Mountains are unsupportive to life. If you have watched the Everest movie (climbing) you’d know that there’s nothing fantastic about a bunch of humans being killed by a mountain…

Animals, insects, sea life and birds of all assortment and variety make you feel nothing?

You mean serial killers and mass murderers like sharks, or the Feminist man hater that eats her husband after using him for sex (it’s called the Black Widow for a reason)... or how about mosquitos, or other obnoxious idiotic insects… or how about the mentally ill serial killers such as lions, or even you typical house pet who wants to kill birds, when birds did absolutely nothing wrong… Cats…. great things. Love to kill. Wonderful.

Sarcastic Fringehead - 04 October 2015 10:50 AM

The starry night sky makes you feel nothing?

Again, I’ve never been interested in astronomy.  I find it a pathetic bunch of random firey idiotic things exploding and killing off life.

The wonders of science make you feel nothing?

Wonders? You mean like the fact that the second law of thermodynamics and the first law, stops us from building perpetual motion machines. How is this wonderful? It’s the exact opposite of wonder. It’s cruel, and the death penalty for humans. It’s called burning up all our fossil fuel reserves because this stupid universe doesn’t allow us to bypass thermodynamics. Science is depressing, esp. the laws of thermodynamics.

Beautiful women make you feel nothing?

This is simply a delusion of the selfish gene to replicate the species.  Beautiful women generally wish to utilize a man for his career and paycheck, unless you find a rare one. I’ve been on enough dates with beautiful women to know that the first question they interrogate you about on a date is what you do for a living (how much money do you make). How great I feel when I’m being used as a tool to produce cash (I might as well be a cash register or a printing press machine for dollar bills).

You are grandstanding my friend, trying to impress me with what tough-minded guy you are. Yeah, you’re a real hardcore nihilist.

Someone who believes in euthanization is not exactly tough - probably more like weak. Or maybe realistic.

What bullshit Larry.

still wearing your rose colored glasses, mate? I have friends just like you, I put up with them… all the time.

The Big Freeze will happen in trillions of years, if at all.

There are people working on this problem. Not many. As for a freeze or a heat death, it’s debatable, but I prefer the term Equilibrium death rather than heat death.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

06 October 2015 07:57

Yes … yes … now I see …

Beauty is most illogical.

Thank you so much for clarifying this, Mr. Spock.

Deist

Deist
Total Posts:  2
Joined  24-10-2015

24 October 2015 09:35

What if this being revealed himself in nature under your nose ? how about that ? What makes you think it has something to do with religion ? Because there are religious people out there ? I do not think so.

mpbrockman

mpbrockman
Total Posts:  1536
Joined  23-06-2007

06 January 2016 20:57

Angry at nothing, then. Productive use of energy (and a middle finger) there.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3184
Joined  26-01-2010

07 January 2016 02:33

I imagine that the imaginary asshole loves it. “Yep, chip off the old block, hehe.”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7626
Joined  20-02-2006

09 January 2016 10:03

Sarcastic Fringehead - 25 July 2015 01:19 PM

. . . conscious, intelligent beings who cannot be subtracted from this universe . . . living proof that the universe has consciousness and intelligence.

Image Attachments

Bubblering-2.JPG