opinion poll resource compilation mini project

digger_was_taken

digger_was_taken
Total Posts:  1
Joined  23-01-2015

23 January 2015 05:43

I was debating with a Harris detractor recently. The usual uncritically examined recitation of slander and appeals to authority. One thing that I get quite often with this sort of debate is the claim that none of Harris’ claims are supported by evidence. This probably has something to do with Aslan’s repetitious statements about how Harris has “learned everything he knows about Islam from FOX news.” Certainly a meme worth countering.

In this case I responded that Harris has “reams of polling data” to support his work, which is all readily available on his blog. I hadn’t actually looked for it on this site, but I was confident that it would be readily available. When I went to look for it, I was surprised to find that it’s very hard to find any actual polling data cited on this website. This seems like a major oversight that could easily be fixed.

But then I was thinking, why don’t we take some of the weight off of Harris’ shoulders? We can make a crowd sourced resource document that Harris can vet and post a link to, perhaps in his “response to controversy” section. Is anyone interested in helping with this?

Here might be a good place to start.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Opinion-Polls.htm

Now of course we’re going to want to vet each of these polls individually before we post any of them. And we should also look elsewhere, to make sure that we’re not leaving out any polls that cast Islam in a better light. I don’t want to cherry pick. But one thing I do like about this site is that it breaks it down into categories and explains how each poll relates to a specific category. I don’t think that we need to go overboard. Maybe 3 or 4 polls per category should make our points perfectly well.

digger_was_taken

digger_was_taken
Total Posts:  1
Joined  23-01-2015

23 January 2015 12:18

Over 200 views in 6 hours and no response? I think something may be wrong with the view counter.

nagualito

nagualito
Total Posts:  17
Joined  01-01-2015

23 January 2015 17:50

Generally a quiet, more “reasoned” site than most on the internet, so I wouldn’t get discouraged yet.

Although I’m beyond responding to “lolfauxnews” arguments myself, I prefer “what specifically that he may have learned on Fox do you have a problem with ?”