1 2 > 

CAN WE SURVIVE WITHOUT FAITH?

Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Total Posts:  85
Joined  20-03-2015

04 May 2015 12:32

# We do not demand certificate from parents to believe them as parents

# We do not demand a certificate of life to plan for tomorrow.

# We do not demand certificate of loyalty to love or to befriend with someone.

QuakePhil

QuakePhil
Total Posts:  124
Joined  09-01-2012

05 May 2015 10:24
Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Total Posts:  85
Joined  20-03-2015

13 May 2015 23:36

I can walk is my faith
I can talk is my faith
I am alive is my faith
I have hands is my faith
I have legs is my faith
..... and so on

Faith is another name of confidence.

Hope is impossible without faith.

Life is impossible without faith

QuakePhil

QuakePhil
Total Posts:  124
Joined  09-01-2012

14 May 2015 06:11

I don’t have faith.

I live.  I hope there is life after death.  But I know that I can’t know if there is life after death until I die.

Faith doesn’t help me, but hoping does, because hope gives my unanswered thoughts closure.

Hope doesn’t confuse me, but faith does, because faith tries to go an extra step beyond hope, and gives me convictions without basis upon which I act mistakenly.

SeaCommander

SeaCommander
Total Posts:  30
Joined  02-02-2014

29 May 2015 17:00

Yes, we can live without faith.  We did it for a very long time before we invented stories we later treated as factual.  Now, we realize the stories are stories and can go back to square one.  No problem.

stimpy

stimpy
Total Posts:  26
Joined  19-02-2015

23 September 2015 07:46

Does my dog have faith?

MoralReason

MoralReason
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-09-2015

30 September 2015 09:37

Shaikh Raisuddin - 04 May 2015 12:32 PM

# We do not demand certificate from parents to believe them as parents

# We do not demand a certificate of life to plan for tomorrow.

# We do not demand certificate of loyalty to love or to befriend with someone.

No, we cannot survive without a certain faith. But these examples are all falsifiable. I can, beforehand, state exactly what would disprove anyone of these ideas:

- a DNA-test, or a confession of one of my parents;
- something that disrupts my plans for tomorrow;
- a friend who lies to me, talks bad about me behind my back, physically assaults me, etc.

These are all good reasons to question the faith I had and to change my mind.

I would be really interested to hear anyone having faith in a deity state what would make them change their minds.

[ Edited: 30 September 2015 10:03 by MoralReason]

Thai1Taxi

Thai1Taxi
Total Posts:  2
Joined  13-10-2015

16 October 2015 12:59

I think it’s pretty safe to rephrase “having faith” as “being gullible.” And I see no reason why being gullible is a requirement to survive.

Deist

Deist
Joined  24-10-2015

24 October 2015 09:37

Shaikh Raisuddin - 13 May 2015 11:36 PM

I can walk is my faith
I can talk is my faith
I am alive is my faith
I have hands is my faith
I have legs is my faith
..... and so on

Faith is another name of confidence.

Hope is impossible without faith.

Life is impossible without faith

i think you confuse faith with knowledge.

RichardMV

RichardMV
Joined  27-04-2016

27 April 2016 19:21

Well I screwed up Sam, I wrote a brief treatise on faith that was concise and compelling. Then my internet connection was lost, my browser refreshed and my thoughts vaporized into the ether… I don’t have the patience to rewrite what I wrote so I will sum up my thoughts in a few short sentences. If I were to write a book mirroring your own I would call it the beginning of faith because true faith begins after the nonsense of religious observance is dispensed with. I live a life of faith that is richer and more consistent than when I was a religious adherent. There’s something missing from your worldview Sam, at the moment I can’t recall exactly what it is because I’m tired and watching my grand kids at the moment. If I get a response from you I’ll make the effort to recall my observations. Thanks for reading and commenting on your book The End of Faith on your podcast; it’s been a thoroughly enjoyable experience that I am attempting to get others engaged with through social media.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

27 April 2016 19:34

Religious faith is pretending you believe what you don’t or can’t know as if that bears on what is.

It’s a proactive failure to accept the unknown.

RichardMV

RichardMV
Joined  27-04-2016

27 April 2016 21:27

My entire family are scholars; my oldest son was the most skeptical about the thing I call “something” until very recently. Don’t know what the something is, can’t prove that it exist but I’ve experienced it throughout my life. Once I was able to separate from my religious roots I had a bit of an existential crisis; it took years to come to terms with meaning, purpose, and morality. And then I found my way back to something very subjectively tangible. It was a series of circumstances that I guided my son through that changed his mind about the nature of energy as it pertains to spirituality. There is a myth about atheism and agnosticism that those who have not traveled that path have difficulty understanding. The Myth is that either stance precludes a rich spiritual life filled with faith. Carl Sagan touched on this shortly before his death. To lack faith is to assert an undesirable level of control over one’s life. I have found that the best of possible worlds for myself has been is a seamless flow between an external and internal locus of control. My girlfriend couldn’t understand why I was nonreactive to her efforts to control me or our relationship and then one day she understood that to draw close to the moment facilitated a better relationship between she and I. I think it was after she asked me the following question; “don’t I get to be in charge of anything?” I responded; “Yes, you get to be in charge of you…”

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

27 April 2016 22:12

Two things about your post, Richard, make it hard to decipher or to meaningfully interpret what you’re really saying.

First, I think you’re conflating faith and spirituality, and second, both terms are inherently vague and slippery.

What I mean by that is they mean too many different things to different people to mean much of anything without a good deal of explanation (i.e. if you just use the terms very few people will attach the terms to the same notion—it means what they want it to mean, not what the speaker or writer is actually trying to communication), and what they mean when they’re used tends to shift according to the needs of the one using them—the needs based upon validating the vague notions they represent, even though the notions themselves are vague and slippery. In other words people using these terms tend to evasively equivocate with them to save them from their own inconsistencies, contradictions and incoherence. I’m not sure one can value faith or spirituality without ignoring these problems with the terms at least to some significant extent, and I’m also pretty sure you’ve projected some of your own notions regarding faith and spirituality upon Carl Sagan’s use of them.

Ultimately that means we really don’t have much idea as to whether we agree or not, on what, or why, because what you actually mean when you use those terms is unknown, so no one really knows what you’re saying. Some may pretend or presume to, but they don’t—not until/unless you define how you’re using the terms, because, again, they’re vague and they mean far too many different things to different people.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2752
Joined  19-01-2015

28 April 2016 03:03

We can do perfectly well without faith.
What we do have (automatically) is heuristics about the world. They are not faiths since they are subject to change due to external data.
I also think that we can do without spirituality - I think most Russians replace spirituality with Vodka.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21573
Joined  11-03-2007

28 April 2016 04:03

We exercise faith in experts every day of our lives.  No individual can know everything.  He/she must put faith in experts to experience the full value of modern life. You put your trust in doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers every day of your lives. It’s inescapable.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1804
Joined  31-10-2015

28 April 2016 04:34

EN - 28 April 2016 04:03 AM

We exercise faith in experts every day of our lives.  No individual can know everything.  He/she must put faith in experts to experience the full value of modern life. You put your trust in doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers every day of your lives. It’s inescapable.

Yes, but we also check their credentials and reputations. Since I fully realize that some plumbers and electricians, for instance, are less than competent, I tend to hire licensed contractors when I have a need for them, to reduce my risk. And every time I hire a lawyer or visit a doctor, I’m skeptical about their advice. I’m quick to disregard what they say. So if I have faith in professionals and contractors, it’s certainly not blind faith. Many people who claim faith in God tend to disregard Biblical advice every minute of every day, yet claim to themselves and others that their faith in the Bible is unfailing. Byron makes an excellent point—faith is not a useful word unless heavily stipulated.

1 2 >