Sam and Douglas

Styrer

Styrer
Total Posts:  5
Joined  23-11-2015

23 November 2015 20:28

I wonder if Sam is right in taking in any old geezer who has mentioned a few condemnatory statements about Islam to his podcast discussions.

Douglas is, by credentials, far from being any old geezer, but he doesn’t sound like it. In fact, perhaps it’s just me as a Brit, but he seemed to be over-egging the British accent, as well as coming up with some of the most vacuous comments, where detail would have been better supplied. What one of his long tirades was about, I’m not sure - fun to hear, but rather far from Sam’s original purpose, as at least I saw it.

Not once did I hear a real analysis of IS or related Islamic theology, nor any real condemnation of it or its related analogues.

A surprising guest, who didn’t tempt me to look out for him again.

QueenofSpades

QueenofSpades
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-07-2015

28 November 2015 14:34

Styrer I agree. Douglas seems to be an angry man ready for a fight. Sam barely got in own ideas and it was quite a contrast between the Sam Harris (calm cool collected) and an angry Brit being Douglas. I watched one youtube video and read the article he wrote. I didn’t come away with much of anything interesting.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7654
Joined  22-02-2014

12 March 2016 10:05

Douglas Murray can be a really good speaker. It’s clear that Murray and Harris are allies, and yet this interview was a bit unsatisfying.

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Total Posts:  139
Joined  09-09-2015

11 April 2016 21:06

Please link to the interview, as I’m not sure which podcast or video you are referring to.

Douglas Murray is very new on my radar, and interesting indeed but I don’t know very much about him other than he seems to “Get it” when it comes to Islam and how stupid it is.

Which podcast or debate are you talking about? please link to it. Thanks!

p.s. I used to hate (many) British accents in my younger years, now I love them.

June

June
Total Posts:  337
Joined  09-06-2013

12 April 2016 12:37

Larry Olson - 11 April 2016 09:06 PM

Please link to the interview, as I’m not sure which podcast or video you are referring to.

Douglas Murray is very new on my radar, and interesting indeed but I don’t know very much about him other than he seems to “Get it” when it comes to Islam and how stupid it is.

Which podcast or debate are you talking about? please link to it. Thanks!

p.s. I used to hate (many) British accents in my younger years, now I love them.

If you are a reader, and are not prone to snap judgments, and can appreciate the works of Douglas Murray I’d recommend the short book, Islamophilia.  A serious topic, tackled with humor and lots of descriptive adverbs.  He directs his aspersions towards the double standard of the media,  mocking them for the way they fawn over Islam while reporting critical of other religions.    His anger is expressed by a sardonic mockery,  refreshingly honest,  in that it is aimed towards the media and their refusal or inability to report objectively.

Fear of offending Islam permeates the message of the book. 

There is an interview on podcast between Harris and Murray called, The Maintenance of Civilization.  What I took from that interview was not so much an expectation, but a better understanding of behavioral differences and how integrity comes into play when push comes to shove.  I liked it. 
Me too, in that I used to think the British accent was a put on.  Now, if I meet a Brit, I keep them talking about anything just to listen to the accent. 

edited to tone down grammatical emphasis. 

[ Edited: 12 April 2016 13:12 by June]

Larry Olson

Larry Olson
Total Posts:  139
Joined  09-09-2015

17 April 2016 15:42

June - 12 April 2016 12:37 PM

There is an interview on podcast between Harris and Murray called, The Maintenance of Civilization.  What I took from that interview was not so much an expectation, but a better understanding of behavioral differences and how integrity comes into play when push comes to shove.

What I took from the interview is that Douglas Murray is very smart but still wants to have his silly labels like Muslim Atheist and Christian Atheist which is similar to calling a kid a christian child. If we aren’t calling kids that let’s not call adult atheists, “christians”, please, as it is an insult to my intelligence. Or the whole jewish atheist scam… as if you can hold on to a barbaric ideology and pick and choose certain silly parts of Judaism to hold on to, and still call yourself atheist

Snap judgement, snap judgment. Sue me.

Everything else Douglas said was pretty much spot on. He’s just a little bit confused about the atheist thing.

Regards,
Larry
Catholic Antitheist (whatever that is)