1 2 3 >  Last ›

How did you first hear of Sam Harris?

tonyd

tonyd
Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-05-2009

11 May 2009 21:46

I discovered Harris’ book “The End of Faith” when I was on Pat Metheny’s website.  http://www.patmetheny.com  Under the section “Pat Recommends” Metheny lists music, movies, and books he likes.  It was posted up there a few years ago, and also in that same post Pat recommended a new young guitarist named Jonathan Kreisberg, who has become my favorite since then.  So that day was a great day for me, I discovered my favorite author (Harris) and guitarist (Kreisberg) with one click of the mouse pad.

-TonyD

phonakins

phonakins
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-05-2009

11 May 2009 23:16

Unfortunately I’m yet to get my hands on The end of Faith to read, but it’s been recommended many a time by atheists who feel that The God Delusion is a little too arrogant wink

WillPearson

WillPearson
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-05-2009

11 May 2009 23:22

A friend loaned me Letter to A Christian Nation. That got me hooked.

bstewart23

bstewart23
Joined  11-05-2009

11 May 2009 23:44

Sam’s brief (but dense and articulate) interview(s) in The God Who Wasn’t There was my first introduction to the man and his ideas and I’m hooked. Can’t wait to see how this project grows and develops.

Mr. Joshua

Mr. Joshua
Joined  11-05-2009

11 May 2009 23:49

I first heard of Sam Harris when I caught part of his speech “Believing the Unbelievable” for the Aspen Ideas Festival (2007) on NPR. I only heard 20 or so miniutes of his talk on the radio but it so intrigued me that I searched out the Podcast and downloaded it. I have since listened to it many times and given copies to many freethinking friends.
If you haven’t heard it you can find the video on Google by searching “Aspen Ideas Festival Sam Harris”

Prieure

Prieure
Joined  11-05-2009

11 May 2009 23:56

While reading Dawkins and watching his UK documentary ‘The Root of All Evil?’ the name was often mentioned with respect. I got hold of ‘The End of Faith’ as quickly as possible and then ‘Letters to a Christian Nation’ soon after.

A clear eloquent voice for reason over superstition.

Marquez

Marquez
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 00:33

Richard Dawkins, with his book The God Delusion, awakened me to the wonder of Science and made me question my own beliefs. He recommended Sam’s book, The End Of Faith with the tagline: “Read Sam Harris and wake up”. My wife bought the book for me.

Sam Harris awakened me to the dangers of beliefs ungrounded by evidence, and how human beings acted, and continue to act, tyranically towards each other because of their beliefs in gods and religions. It was Sam Harris who made me realize that it is no longer enough to stand by and allow destructive beliefs to direct the course of human civilization.

[ Edited: 12 May 2009 00:36 by Marquez]

Scott

Scott
Total Posts:  103
Joined  09-05-2009

12 May 2009 00:39

Bought The God Delusion and came to know him through researching Dawkins during my reading. As well as Dawkins’ recommendation of him in the book.

I have The End of Faith, but am finishing Breaking the Spell first. Then onto God is Not Great.

TAGT

TAGT
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 00:41

From Bill Maher!

Moiz Khan

Moiz Khan
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 01:49

When I was beginning to doubt my religious beliefs, it was right around the time that Mr. Harris released his first book.

Mattm1105

Mattm1105
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:22

I was taking a course titled “The Basis of Evolution” and The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins was required reading. I became fascinated with Dawkins, and I believe the first time I heard of Sam Harris was when I watched “The Four Horsemen” with Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris. I have since become fascinated with all of their work (even Hitchens; actually, especially Hitchens).

Kelly

Kelly
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:26

C-Span2 Book TV appearance for End of Faith… I bought the book immediately and have been a huge fan ever since.

yamisamre

yamisamre
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:35

I regularly buy and read books off Amazon, and I was going on a freethinkers’ book-buying rampage, and snagged The End of Faith.

Begalily

Begalily
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:35

I found Letter to a Christian Nation in the used section at a bookstore when visiting home in Vermont.  I wish I had a huge stack in the back of my car so I could hand them out as needed, which would be often.

Fugazi Grrl

Fugazi Grrl
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:44

My first sample of Sam came from channel surfing. I was having a surf on a boring weekend night, and up popped Sam, on a PBS station taking a Q&A from an audience (maybe a group of University students). Needless to say, I was impressed. Sam was one of the most articulate, intelligent speakers I had seen speaking on the side of reason in a long time.

And he had a comfortable way of speaking, and making his point that made it a joy to watch him.

Ever since then… I’ve been a Sam fan !

SteveF

SteveF
Total Posts:  4
Joined  29-12-2007

12 May 2009 03:19

A few years ago I had a long drive ahead of me. I went to the Audible.com website and somehow ended up downloading The God Delusion, which I had never previously heard of.

The 16 hour drive was amazing. I found myself metaphorically saying “that’s what I’ve been saying for the last 20 years” over and over and over.

I then found Sam’s book via Richard’s website. (kinda sound like a big shot using first names there.  smile  )

1 2 3 >  Last ›