‹ First  < 6 7 8

How did you first hear of Sam Harris?

lindacakes@sbcglobal.net

lindacakes@sbcglobal.net
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-10-2007

03 May 2010 03:02

well, since we are all listing our stops along the path to enlightenment and “truth” ...mine started with “what the bleep do we know’ and from there, read hawkings, greene, harris, dawkins, dennet, powers,and a few names i have forgotton.  totally addicted now, can’t get enough of this kind of thinking…would love to form a “thinking club”  perhaps have guest speakers, etc.  hard to talk about this with family, friends, etc…quite a bit of built in resistance….some of you seem to think that the effects of religion can be quite damaging, and i absolutely agree….short of making it illegal to practice religion , don’t see much hope for that one to go away anytime soon.. ciao! to all of you “thought libertarians”

AlisonAnelka1

AlisonAnelka1
Total Posts:  1
Joined  20-09-2010

04 May 2010 09:21

I saw an ad for The End of Faith in Harpers Magazine years ago, I suppose when it was first published. I was living in Japan at the time and had an overseas subscription to Harpers.

ChaosRules

ChaosRules
Total Posts:  539
Joined  25-11-2008

05 May 2010 22:10

I heard an interview with Sam on a local radio station while on a long drive one weekend.  It was so refreshing to hear someone express what I had thought for years.  It was first I had ever heard of the Four Horsemen, but after that interview I did some research and went out and bought The End of Faith.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8967
Joined  20-02-2006

06 May 2010 18:58

Channel surfing I came across the end of an ‘Author’s Hour’ or something like that - maybe it was on C-Span.  I think it was the last ten minutes and Sam was answering questions.  Shortly after that I came across a copy of ‘THE END OF FAITH’ on a shelf of free books at the local library.  Inside the front cover was a sticker with a greeting from http://www.BookCrossing.com  - the closing sentence on the sticker said, ‘Then . . . Read and Release me!”  After reading The End of Faith I saw the address of his Web site on the back cover, and joined the Sam Harris Forum.  Helped me survive the Bush years.  Sanity in a sea of superstition and illusion.  Poor Jesus,  (if there ever was such a person) made preposterous by his so-called biographers.

preposterous  adj [L praeposterus, lit., with the hindside in front,  fr. prae +  posterus hinder, following - more at POSTERIOR :  contrary to nature, reason, or common sense :  ABSURD

Blade

Blade
Total Posts:  3
Joined  22-03-2007

08 May 2010 02:55

I encountered Sam while watching the 2006 Beyond Belief conference. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that he was essentially an ally to Richard Dawkins, whom I’ve been familiar with for quite some time (as I’m sure have other posters here). I was rather impressed with his communicative abilities when presenting a well thought-out argument on such a contentious topic.

[ Edited: 08 May 2010 02:57 by Blade]

vashtiyb80

vashtiyb80
Total Posts:  18
Joined  13-04-2012

25 August 2010 07:13

TED…and his talk about how Science can answer moral question. I discovered TED through CNN and have ever since enjoyed listening to the brilliance of Sam Harris and the other 3.

Norton

Norton
Total Posts:  11
Joined  29-03-2010

29 August 2010 15:59

SilverArrow - 25 August 2010 05:13 AM

TED…and his talk about how Science can answer moral question.

Me too.  Since then listened to End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation from aubible.com. 

Sam’s bold, brave positions have inspired me to take more chances to try to influence people toward rationallity.  While I’ve teased out several surprising co-conspirators among family and friends, I’m not sure I’ve actually convinced anybody yet.  The transcendant role of religious ceremony in our lives (coming of age, marriage, annual cycles, death) is powerful, and rationality can be a poor and lonely substitute. 

Just yesterday my Dad, who I had no idea was an atheist until I became more vocal and teased it out, shared his goal to counter the current trend in South Carolina to get “I Believe” onto license plates replaced with “I Don’t Believe”.    Made my day!  Thanks, Sam!

Norton

Toughspike

Toughspike
Total Posts:  23
Joined  30-10-2012

24 September 2010 14:52

I watched the film called ” the four horsemen” with harris,hichtens,dawkins and dennet and i really enjoyed it and wanted to know more about him. So far i like what i have found out as i am now here!!!! tongue laugh

fosal hossain

fosal hossain
Total Posts:  419
Joined  12-05-2012

26 September 2010 16:08

I saw “The Four Horsemen” on Youtube.

zike

zike
Total Posts:  76
Joined  18-09-2009

29 September 2010 09:01

I am not sure which of the “Four Horsemen” I heard about first. I think it was Dawkins, but my further research led me to the rest.

‹ First  < 6 7 8