< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

How did you first hear of Sam Harris?

jesuslol

jesuslol
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 03:24

I think I heard about Letter to a Christian Nation from the Why Won’t God Heal Amputees forums about 3 years go, when I was first embracing my atheism (and realizing that there were others out there who shared my thoughts).  I bought the book and loved it; unfortunately that thing is like Kryptonite for Christians, they won’t touch it.

Then I saw a Slate debate between him and some prick journalist, and watched as Harris picked the poor guy apart.  After that, I started searching for more about him online and found this website smile

anetchi

anetchi
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 04:59

I don’t remember exactly when I heard of Sam Harris, but finding him was amazing. It was a little after finding Richard Dawkins. It’s all a crazy blur! One awesome guy lead to another!

I think this is how it went: Bill Maher-Richard Dawkins-Christopher Hitchens- (Russell Brand)- Sam Harris- Dan Dennett. These men have inspired and helped me feel happy about being the only atheist I know in a very conservative and religious city. Their ability to think so logically is beautiful.

slickwatts

slickwatts
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 05:18

i was out in Los Angeles 5 or 6 years ago, and read Sam’s LA Times article on religion’s responsibility for stem cell research bans as well as planes flying into buildings. i was blown away by this clarion voice of reason from seemingly nowhere and have been cheering on Sam’s rise ever since.

The Skyline is Mine

The Skyline is Mine
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 05:28

I was beginning to do a small paper on Stem Cell research and ethics during the Spring ‘08 semester when I came across a Youtube video of Sam describing the validity of “souls” within blastocysts. One interest lead to another, and my curious mind has brought me here. :)

T Paine

T Paine
Total Posts:  21
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 05:34

One of my friends recommended Dawkins, from whom I found Hitchens, and one horsemen led to another until I got my hands on Letter to a Christian Nation/The End of Faith. After that, I just youtubed all of his videos

jmatthewgore

jmatthewgore
Total Posts:  30
Joined  23-04-2009

12 May 2009 05:41

I met Richard Dawkins back in the late 1990s while I was an undergrad, and he was giving a public lecture to promote his (then) newest book. I got on an email list, and I believe that I heard about The End of Faith that way. I actually watched one of Sam Harris’ YouTube videos before I read the book.

- Matt

Bobby Metzger

Bobby Metzger
Total Posts:  16
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 05:55

I found videos of him on youtube, and was mentally destroyed by the man. His speech at Idea City 2005 was amazing and to this day I watch it when I want to feel inspired.

CJ

CJ
Total Posts:  17
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 07:10

Came across Sam via The God Delusion (TGD) and read Sam’s work after that.’

BrettSchall

BrettSchall
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-01-2009

12 May 2009 07:13

I saw a portion of a speach he once gave about morality and stem cell research.  I agreed with it so much, I became an instant fan.

Gary Trovato

Gary Trovato
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 09:05

I stumbled across “Letter to a Christian Nation” in my university bookshop while I was taking a break from study. I never went back to studying that day and read Sam Harris in one sitting. Being brought up in a moderately catholic house, I approached my mum with some of the points in Sam’s book and she had no reply. That was when I realised how much misinformation i had been fed in 13 years of catholic schooling and weekly church attendances.

Sam Harris & Richard Dawkins made me realise that being an atheist doesn’t mean you are immoral - it’s means you possess the greatest quality humankind can display - doubt.

I’m so glad this project is up and running

Gary Trovato

http://www.garytrovato.com - new album “Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell” out now - Think about what you believe in…..

hillbilly78

hillbilly78
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 11:45

I think, like quite a few members here, I become conscious of Sam’s work after reading The God Delusion and browsing atheist and skeptical websites.  I purchased both Letter to a Christian Nation and The End of Faith and since then have enjoyed very much listening to his debates and reading his articles/opinion pieces.

vjack

vjack
Total Posts:  5
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 11:53

I first heard of Sam Harris when The End of Faith came out. I think he was on a TV show promoting it, but I can’t for the life of me remember which one. Anyway, I ordered the book on Amazon.com the next day. A good read and one I loaned out to everyone I could convince to read it.

Fizzle

Fizzle
Joined  10-01-2009

12 May 2009 11:55

I had already read TGD and Dawkins mentioned him. So, when I saw Letter to a Christian Nation on a bookshelf I bought it. After reading it, I swiftly bought The End Of Faith.

Good reads.

FrigidSymphony

FrigidSymphony
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 14:12

Pat Metheny is an atheist? Awesome!

Anyway, my first “new atheist” book was Dawkins’ The God Delusion. After that, I immediately began looking for similar literature, and came across Harris, Hitchens, Dennett, Russell, etc.

obscured by clouds

obscured by clouds
Total Posts:  224
Joined  20-10-2007

12 May 2009 14:20

I heard of Sam through Richard Dawkins but I waited to read his book, the end of faith, until I saw him give a speech for AAI in DC, which I was filming for richarddawkins.net. When Sam started TRP, Josh from RD.net gave him my name to help out here. Looking forward to help.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›