< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

How did you first hear of Sam Harris?

Moiz Khan

Moiz Khan
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 14:40

obscured by clouds - 12 May 2009 12:20 PM

I heard of Sam through Richard Dawkins but I waited to read his book, the end of faith, until I saw him give a speech for AAI in DC, which I was filming for richarddawkins.net. When Sam started TRP, Josh from RD.net gave him my name to help out here. Looking forward to help.

I knew I remembered your username from somewhere. smile

obscured by clouds

obscured by clouds
Total Posts:  224
Joined  20-10-2007

12 May 2009 14:45

It’s a small word. Cheers!

ThisG0dlessEndeav0r

ThisG0dlessEndeav0r
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 16:29

I was hanging with a buddy of mine and he handed me a Rolling Stone magazine open to an interview with Sam Harris and he said “this guy will blow your mind.”  Bought the book the The End of Faith the next day.  It has done more to change my life than any other book.

Chad

Chad
Total Posts:  4
Joined  21-12-2004

12 May 2009 16:38

I read a review of The End of Faith in The Week magazine when it first came out. I was pretty excited when I read the review so I went out and bought the book immediately. Oh what a wonderful time that was… like being rescued from a deserted island.

Michael

Michael
Total Posts:  29
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 16:53

I believe I was given the link to some type of talk Harris gave at some conference. It was so long ago - I have no recollection, honestly.

I ended up learning more about him, and eventually getting the books. I’ ve read them both a few times.

ebroadcast

ebroadcast
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 20:37

I watched an online debate that Mr. Harris was a part of. I was hooked ever since.

Rob P

Rob P
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 20:54

I really don’t remember how I found out about him. I guess just word of mouth from reading Dawkins and Hitchens.

john76

john76
Total Posts:  705
Joined  15-12-2008

12 May 2009 21:55

I just saw the “Letter to a Christian Nation” book in the bookstore

chadley

chadley
Total Posts:  12
Joined  12-05-2009

13 May 2009 05:30

I came across “The Portable Atheist”, which contains a variety of readings compiled by Christopher Hitchens. One of these readings was an excerpt from Sam’s “The End of Faith”. This made me wonder who the heck this guy was with writings on par with Dawkins, Goldman, Sagan et cetera! (I haven’t know about him until recently).

Fredwho

Fredwho
Total Posts:  141
Joined  11-05-2009

13 May 2009 07:19

First noticed Sam Harris in Beyond Belief 2006. very impressed by his extraordinary talent for debating these topics with a rare combination of solid, rational argument, intensity and serenity.

Propulsor

Propulsor
Total Posts:  1
Joined  13-05-2009

13 May 2009 10:42

I saw one of Sam’s debates on youtube.  He was very logical, articulate and funny as hell.  And yes, hell is funny.

smillis

smillis
Total Posts:  11
Joined  13-05-2009

13 May 2009 12:10

Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins in my opinion great dream team at best.

Celia Berdeski

Celia Berdeski
Total Posts:  1
Joined  13-05-2009

13 May 2009 18:12

My “new” husband gave me his copy of “A Letter to a Christian Nation” to read last year, because I had been struggling with religion for most of my life, even though I continued to “preach the dogma” to my own children rather than share my struggle with them.  After reading the book, I felt like a weight had been lifted and I no longer felt guilty about wanting to let go…so I finally let go of all of my religious beliefs. I love this book.  I gave copies to all three of my adult children for Christmas last year and apologized to them for not providing alternative views of religion while they were growing up. I wrote personal messages to each of them in the sleeve of their book.  I thought it was a good way to start changing the cycle; for my grandchildren and all who come after them.

Boninya

Boninya
Total Posts:  3
Joined  14-05-2009

15 May 2009 04:09

Have been without faith for all my life or at least putting serious question to any dogma (and chastised for it). About a year and a half a go somehow got into debates with chistians on a myspace blog of all places. Coincidentally this guy “friended” me that was in the discusion and then emailed asking if I’ll join his opposition of Sam Harris and named a couple others. What struck me about this guy was he was an athiest….and asking me to be against something I didn’t then know a whole lot about. So I checked Sam’s site and have since tried to watch or read all that he puts out. It’s very rare to find someone that is fair in pretty much every aspect of what he talks about, which ironically is one thing that really confuses me about the ‘religious ones’...it’s so much easier and less stressful to be reasonable and fair in life.

Little Kristin

Little Kristin
Total Posts:  18
Joined  13-05-2009

15 May 2009 04:25

I first discovered Sam Harris while browsing Border’s looking for The God Delusion.  They didn’t have it, sadly, but Sam’s book immediately caught my eye and I knew I had to have it.  I bought the book in spring of ‘06, I think, just a few months after I realized that I was an atheist and about 8 months after I had finally admitted to myself that I never really believed in all that Christian dogma in the first place.

I didn’t get around to reading it until several months later, but when I did I was blown away by his intelligent, precise, and thorough arguments.  He essentially articulated every reason I had for not believing but hadn’t put into words yet, and he brought up many more that had not yet occurred to me.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›