‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

How did you first hear of Sam Harris?

Nkari

Nkari
Total Posts:  21
Joined  15-05-2009

15 May 2009 08:50

I found Letter to a Christian Nation in the current events section of my local Barnes and Nobles.  I picked it up and promptly read it that day at work.  One of the most evocative essays I’ve read on the subject.

Disturbance

Disturbance
Total Posts:  3
Joined  15-05-2009

15 May 2009 11:53

I woofed Dawkins’ God Delusion in 3 days, then promptly ran out and purchased a few referenced books, including Sam Harris’ Letter.

Born_Again_Atheist

Born_Again_Atheist
Joined  12-05-2009

15 May 2009 20:09

I heard of the God delusion and, when I went to Amazon to order it, I saw Sam’s book as well in the “customers who bought this book, also bought…” section.

The End of Faith was the first thorough freethinking book I read (a bit of Bernard Russel when I was younger but did not change very much). I guess I was always an atheist (my Dad is) but found it difficult to confront religious people. The end of faits changed me dramatically (hence my username!)

I have now seen almost all the videos you can possibly find on the internet of Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins and I am always amazed at how Sam always operates almost a generation ahead of others.

SonOfDeity79

SonOfDeity79
Total Posts:  7
Joined  14-05-2009

15 May 2009 20:51

By shear luck.  I was reading post on a christian forum and they claimed that the creation of this site was the begining of the end, so I said I gotta be a part of that.  Consequently I heard of him on this site.  Reading some of the other posts looks like I have some books I have to purchase(and read).

Hypoluxa

Hypoluxa
Total Posts:  4
Joined  14-05-2009

15 May 2009 21:56

Through the Richard Dawkins website.

Orikal

Orikal
Joined  15-05-2009

17 May 2009 01:54

Hello all.  First post. 

I came across The End of Faith while browsing Amazon.  I hadn’t really expect it to be such an eye opener, and I’m still suprised at the relevance it has towards my daily interactions. 

The message is simple: The time for honest, rational, reality-based discussion is at hand.  We need to take a long, hard look at the world around us, and ask ourselves if these actions are really the best expressions of who we are and what we want to bring forth.  Is there a simpler, more productive way to get us where we’re going?

All here know this, but it’s time we, you and I, put the subject firmly on the table.

I look forward to speaking with everyone!

Sauve

Sauve
Total Posts:  6
Joined  27-12-2007

18 May 2009 04:01

bstewart23 - 11 May 2009 09:44 PM

Sam’s brief (but dense and articulate) interview(s) in The God Who Wasn’t There was my first introduction to the man and his ideas and I’m hooked. Can’t wait to see how this project grows and develops.

I second that one.

Total Posts:  1
Joined  17-05-2009

18 May 2009 04:24

Searching for books at the library and by chance or you could say it was fate lol.

Sauve

Sauve
Joined  27-12-2007

18 May 2009 04:28

666 - 18 May 2009 02:24 AM

Searching for books at the library and by chance or you could say it was fate lol.

It was part of the plan.

Ronin

Ronin
Joined  11-05-2009

18 May 2009 04:34

From the God Delusion as well..but believe it or not….through facebook of all things. The Reason Project is on Facebook and led me here.

FloydPinkerton

FloydPinkerton
Joined  17-05-2009

18 May 2009 04:53

My first exposure to Sam Harris was a speech he gave at Idea City ‘05 (found here on YouTube).  Like most people, I was impressed with his penetrating articulation on the subject of religion and the nature of our beliefs.  I sought out his books, read them a number of times in an effort to better understand the many points of the debate, so that in turn I could better articulate the side of reason to my religious family and friends.  I’ve succeeded in converting a few, but not enough. 

To date I have purchased over 30 copies of “The End of Faith” and have placed them in the hands of believers whenever possible, and have also found a great deal of gratification leaving new copies in hotel rooms next to the bibles.  I have another order of 6 on the way, some of which will no doubt be placed for others to find.  I do the same with Prof. Dawkins’ “The God Delusion”, and would like to encourage others to do the same.  Why can’t we represent our side in every possible corner in which our opposition thinks they’ve got a monopoly?  For much too long have the Gideons stood unchallenged!  If I could afford it, I would find a way to put these books in every library, school, hospital, and hotel room across the country.

Ronin

Ronin
Joined  11-05-2009

18 May 2009 05:00

FloydPinkerton - 18 May 2009 02:53 AM

To date I have purchased over 30 copies of “The End of Faith” and have placed them in the hands of believers whenever possible, and have also found a great deal of gratification leaving new copies in hotel rooms next to the bibles.  I have another order of 6 on the way, some of which will no doubt be placed for others to find.  I do the same with Prof. Dawkins’ “The God Delusion”, and would like to encourage others to do the same.  Why can’t we represent our side in every possible corner in which our opposition thinks they’ve got a monopoly?  For much too long have the Gideons stood unchallenged!  If I could afford it, I would find a way to put these books in every library, school, hospital, and hotel room across the country.

I find this AWESOME!!!!!!

Especially putting the God Delusion or End of Faith next to Bibles in hotels!!! BRILLIANT

In all honesty I wish there was a cheap/small version of an “atheist bible” I could put places or give to someone. The not so Holy Book of Reason??

fabrulana

fabrulana
Total Posts:  46
Joined  04-07-2008

18 May 2009 06:54

I was previously a Christian who I started reading Dawkins stuff and joined his website, to help get rid of my delusions. If I remember correctly he sent an e-mail concerning Sam’s book End of Faith, which I promptly bought.  Since then I also got Christopher Hitchens book (God is not Great). I find it fantastic that there is so much leading people with proper reasoning out there.

andersemil

andersemil
Joined  12-05-2009

18 May 2009 07:04

I was googling for scientific lectures and stumbled upon thesciencenetwork.org, where I watched the lectures and debates from the Beyond Belief events. I was blown away by Sam Harris’ direct and scientific approach to religion and the problems it causes in our world—I felt like he was putting into words what I had been thinking and feeling for years—and immediately wanted to find everything I could on this man and his work. Today I’ve left the church of Denmark and set up a regular donation to scientific causes instead.

mordacious1

mordacious1
Total Posts:  2
Joined  18-05-2009

18 May 2009 18:29

Sam who?

(just kidding) A christian friend was complaining about a book she had just read called “The End of Faith” back in 2005 . She was very upset about the book, so I knew it had to be good. Having been an atheist for many years, I was (at that time) starving for books that would question belief.

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›