Poll: Are you in support of extending the Reason Project to include (or initiate) like-minded Student Organizations?

Some kind of affliated/sponsored Student Organization is a good idea that the Reason Project should endorse.

Reason-oriented Student Organizations are a good idea, but outside the scope of the Reason Project.

Reason-oriented Student Organizations are a bad idea.

Affiliated Student Groups on Campus?

Conversational Atheist

Conversational Atheist
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 01:27

I am organizing a student group on the campus that I attend, and was wondering if people (or the Reason Project overlords) might think it useful to have affiliated local groups that have similar goals as the Reason Project.

I would be proud to be a member of a student organization that had a similar mission statement as this site.

For example: 

Reason Project: University of Example Chapter—A student organization devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society and on campus. The campus organization draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

jesuslol

jesuslol
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 01:59

I was actually just talking about something similar in my thread.  I think it’s a great idea.  Community involvement is something that will go a long way towards the goals of the Reason Project.  Atheists have nowhere to congregate, and thus have no influence or organization.  I’ve been excited about the Reason Project for awhile now because it gives us that possibility.

Moiz Khan

Moiz Khan
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 02:06

The Center For Inquiry and the Secular Student Alliance have really been leading the way with this. My campus group is actually affiliated with both of those groups.

Perhaps this Reason Project should be geared at providing campus groups with literature that can help campus groups such as mine promote reason and science on campus?

Scott

Scott
Total Posts:  103
Joined  09-05-2009

12 May 2009 14:32

i see like everyone else, i think the first option is best.

Conversational Atheist

Conversational Atheist
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-05-2009

14 May 2009 00:55

Moiz Khan - 12 May 2009 12:06 AM

The Center For Inquiry and the Secular Student Alliance have really been leading the way with this. My campus group is actually affiliated with both of those groups.

Perhaps this Reason Project should be geared at providing campus groups with literature that can help campus groups such as mine promote reason and science on campus?

I think that both the SSA and CFI have been doing a great service, and they definitely have their place, but I feel that they are more of an umbrella group that caters to all possible campus atheist groups: from groups that provide a meeting place and a social gathering for atheists, to nonbeliever groups that participate in charity work, to atheist groups that attempt to engage believers in debate.

I like your idea that the RP could gear up on the reference and literature side, but I also think that there is a place where an active stance like the Reason Project takes: “spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society” can be the overarching goal of the organization (and various affiliated organizations).

Since this goal is exactly in line with the goals of the group I’d like to create, I feel like a more specific affiliation would be beneficial.

Moiz Khan

Moiz Khan
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-05-2009

14 May 2009 01:14

Conversational Atheist - 13 May 2009 10:55 PM
Moiz Khan - 12 May 2009 12:06 AM

I think that both the SSA and CFI have been doing a great service, and they definitely have their place, but I feel that they are more of an umbrella group that caters to all possible campus atheist groups: from groups that provide a meeting place and a social gathering for atheists, to nonbeliever groups that participate in charity work, to atheist groups that attempt to engage believers in debate.

I like your idea that the RP could gear up on the reference and literature side, but I also think that there is a place where an active stance like the Reason Project takes: “spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society” can be the overarching goal of the organization (and various affiliated organizations).

Since this goal is exactly in line with the goals of the group I’d like to create, I feel like a more specific affiliation would be beneficial.

That sounds interesting, yeah, my main concern is that, CFI/SSA serve their purpose very well…so for TRP to really make a difference it would have to serve some unique purposes.

Hypoluxa

Hypoluxa
Total Posts:  4
Joined  14-05-2009

14 May 2009 17:33

Any chance to get rational and reasonable scientific thinking into more college campuses is a good thing.