Putting a face on Atheism

pacman

pacman
Total Posts:  5
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 03:06

Some type of YouTube campaign where users talk about themselves.
-beliefs
-goals/hopes
-life experiences
-values
-how they became an atheist
-experiences coming out to others
Then the videos are all added as a reply to a video done by the Reason Project so they can all be easily watched.
Something that introduces atheism to others. In some parts of the world people have never talked to an atheist and this would help put a friendly face on it and show others that they are not alone…
Maybe adding prizes would motivate lots of people to make videos wink
Could work.

djcann

djcann
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 13:04

Facebook idea

A quick facebook campaign similar to “25 random things” could bolster interest and awareness of the Reason Project.
Here are two Slate articles for quick reference:
http://www.slate.com/id/2210697/
http://www.slate.com/id/2211068/

Maybe “10 reasons I am an atheist”  “10 Reasons I prefer science to superstition” etc

[ Edited: 12 May 2009 13:20 by djcann]

VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude
Total Posts:  53
Joined  06-05-2009

12 May 2009 15:04

sciwoman

sciwoman
Total Posts:  12
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 17:52

That sounds like a good idea.  It’s more difficult to demonize a group once you begin to see the individuals of that group as fellow human beings.

vjack

vjack
Joined  12-05-2009

12 May 2009 19:07

We all know that publicly “coming out” and proclaiming our atheism for all to hear would do many positive things for atheism as a meme. Unfortunately, there are many of us who would face all sorts of adverse personal consequences for doing so. That always makes me think twice about Facebook campaigns - they end up looking small because it just isn’t safe for people in many parts of the U.S. to identify as atheists.

pacman

pacman
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 19:36

vjack - 12 May 2009 05:07 PM

We all know that publicly “coming out” and proclaiming our atheism for all to hear would do many positive things for atheism as a meme. Unfortunately, there are many of us who would face all sorts of adverse personal consequences for doing so. That always makes me think twice about Facebook campaigns - they end up looking small because it just isn’t safe for people in many parts of the U.S. to identify as atheists.

I guess, but look how many people did the Blasphemy challenge on YouTube. There would be even more for the Faces of Atheism campaign if the Reason Project did draws every so often for prizes and such.

DangerousTalk

DangerousTalk
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

16 May 2009 16:36

djcann - 12 May 2009 11:04 AM

Facebook idea

A quick facebook campaign similar to “25 random things” could bolster interest and awareness of the Reason Project.
Here are two Slate articles for quick reference:
http://www.slate.com/id/2210697/
http://www.slate.com/id/2211068/

Maybe “10 reasons I am an atheist”  “10 Reasons I prefer science to superstition” etc

That’s a great idea. I just created a “15 questions for atheists” that I will be sending around.
-Staks

Rob P

Rob P
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-05-2009

16 May 2009 21:39

I like this idea a lot.

Staks, could I get a copy of that list?

DangerousTalk

DangerousTalk
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

17 May 2009 01:07

Rob P - 16 May 2009 07:39 PM

I like this idea a lot.

Staks, could I get a copy of that list?

Please answer these questions and pass it around.

1. What is your Name?
2. Where do you live?
3. Would you consider yourself to be a charitable person?
4. How moral would you consider yourself to be on average?
5. List five values that you feel are important.
6. What did you want to be when you were young?
7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
8. At what age did you realize that there was no God?
9. How did your family take your realization?
10. What led you to doubt the existence of God?
11. Are you happier now that you no longer believe in a God, or do you wish you still believed?
12. On average, how many babies would you say you ate since you began doubting God’s existence?
13. Do you worship the Devil?
14. Have you ever read the Bible?
15. Have often do you visit DangerousTalk.net?

Basque

Basque
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-05-2009

17 May 2009 13:39

Just collectively do good deeds.

The Big Bold Statement and “coming out” spewing conjecture about a group smacks of religious groups.  If Atheists act the same way…....you get my meaning.

Not difficult to see the damage inflicted on humanity by fundamentalism.

Best way to represent ourselves is to do good things, not talk about how wrong everyone else is.

Like, disaster relief, neighborhood maintenance, assisting in the community where needed and specifically where religious groups believe they have the market cornered and use the stage to preach and wax self-righteous.

Just showing up, doing good work and leaving will speak volumes.

smirk

SFTor

SFTor
Total Posts:  404
Joined  11-05-2009

17 May 2009 20:38

jhatch - 17 May 2009 11:39 AM

Just collectively do good deeds.

Just showing up, doing good work and leaving will speak volumes.

smirk

I have some experience in this. I was just forever kicked off CAF (Catholic Answers Forum) for bringing up some of the more unsavory aspects of Church history.

I think the job of this group is to spread information, not proselytize for atheism, which would be, as everyone is aware of, absurd.

I am a marketing professional, and I think the Reason Project is potentially a strong brand with prospects of becoming widely known on the web.

It should be positioned as the place you go to find reason. This does not mean a neutral stance on issues, but one that goes where the facts lead. I assume the Reason Project limits itself to questions of reason vs. faith, and that would seem to work well.

How about a series of landing pages for information seekers, and using SEO to get them on the page 1 of Google searches? The landing pages could be a couple to a few pages long, and would help people find information on topics that were based on reason. This would so to speak become part of the public face of the Reason Project.

Examples abound, but let’s look at one: miracles. Each time a miraculous event is reported in the news (bleeding statues etc) it goes to the top of the landing page, with explanations and critique if necessary. Over time the page grows and becomes a reference resource for internet users.

This idea still feels half baked, but I’ll put it out there and see if anyone else can help.

[ Edited: 17 May 2009 20:45 by SFTor]

SFTor

SFTor
Joined  11-05-2009

17 May 2009 20:53

In other words, a number of issue-based shorter pages that would spread solid information, increase awareness of the Reason Project, and increase site visits to the Reason Project main page.

It is possible that the working model would be helped with putting the name and face of the editor on the landing pages.

An interesting parallel to the Reason project is Watts Up With That, which analyses phenomena and scientifc reports almost on a daily basis. These days they are almost completely preoccupied with global warming. You can agree or disagree with their stance, but the fact of the matter is that they are wildly successful with such a model.

[ Edited: 17 May 2009 21:02 by SFTor]

SFTor

SFTor
Joined  11-05-2009

17 May 2009 21:23

The more I look at Watts Up With That, the more I see a potential face to the world for the Reason Project.

What makes the WUWT format so engaging is that it provides a running commentary on the world we live in, allows comments, and has that unmistakable smell of reasonableness. 

Suggested title for such a public page: The Reason Page.

This may simply be the home page of the Reason Project, but I believe it needs to be the top page of the URL. WUWT shamelessly maintains a high standard on its comments. If your post is clueless it will be denied.