Reason Wiki!!!

pacman

pacman
Total Posts:  5
Joined  11-05-2009

12 May 2009 16:12

Have a Wiki tab on the front page. Allow registered members to edit. It could evolve into a resource similar to a Wikipedia but with a rationalist point of view. It would be a good place for storing and organizing information relating to the Reason Project. Debates, links, point/counter-point stuff etc.
(Oh, and if we do it, it would be best to use the same license as Wikipedia to allow work to be moved back and forth)

Sam Harris

Sam Harris
Total Posts:  4
Joined  23-04-2004

14 May 2009 22:56

This is a great idea. We’ll do it.
Sam

Moiz Khan

Moiz Khan
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-05-2009

14 May 2009 23:50

We should definitely have wiki pages with collections of atheist/humanist/pro-science education/etc. quotes…those are always useful.

digitalsaint

digitalsaint
Total Posts:  7
Joined  12-05-2009

15 May 2009 04:56

I think instead of re-inventing the wheel it might be good to approach some of the great secular wikis out there.
The guys over at the Atheist Experience maintain one of the best: http://wiki.ironchariots.org

I feel our movement needs to start gelling a bit.  The Reason Project I think is the best vehicle yet to act as some sort of unifying force.

It’d be great to invite other great contributors within movement to align forces. 

It doesn’t need to be a top-down hierarchy but mitigating the tendency to silo would be great.  Iron chariots above, or internet infidels is another?

[ Edited: 15 May 2009 05:01 by digitalsaint]

antx

antx
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-06-2008

21 May 2009 13:07

I also think making something that already exists in a good form somewhere else is not the best thing. Better would be a well organized links page or a resource database that holds links and basic infos (name, short description…) of other great sites and projects. This Database could as well be maintained by registered members.

As a matter of fact I think a general resource database would cover a lot of what might ever be suggested here. Its mostly about collections of data of a speciffic kind. Articels on certain topics, quotes, arguments, ideas, websites, projects, software, videos and audio files… and so on. Its all about creating a central starting point of informations. Lots of these things will be just links to external sources, but some of the entries will also point to certain pages over here at the TRP (i.e. the scripture project).

I for instance would like to be able to get a list of all challanges that are out there at the moment (Paranormal challange, Homeopathic challange…). I imagine such a list to show a name, the price, short description, a web link, and contact infos of the challanger.

pacman

pacman
Joined  11-05-2009

21 May 2009 23:50

I do agree, stuff should be shared with other sites.  I do think though that having a wiki HERE would be useful. It ensures that as long as the Reason Project is around the wiki will be around. I think that some may be motived to edit it if it’s part of a larger long term project.

antx

antx
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-06-2008

22 May 2009 07:16

Well I understand what you mean, but there are also other possibilities we might consider. First thing to ensure that such resources last even if one of such a site goes down at some point is to mirror it. Often not the whole site but rather just a particular part or project of a site would need to be mirrored. That leads to another Idea.
Perhaps TRP could start a partnership program. People here can suggest sites or even just parts or projects of a site as a TRP partner, when ever they come across a site that is doing what would be considered a worthwhile TRP project. Then staff and/or even members evaluate this resource get in touch with the people behind it and then decide whether to establish a partnership or to just copy the general concept for a direct TRP project.

Partner projects would be accessible from this site just as other TRP parts and will have a kind of button/logo to indicate their status as a TRP partner. Perhaps even a TRP applet (web 2 style) instead of just a logo like a drop down menu that offers the most important parts of the TRP (TRP website, project list, forum…).

TRP would not only be the hub for accessing the sites but also a sort of central for ideas, help, funding if needed, organizing and so on for all partner sites. If a partner project needs people with certain expertise they could ask here and reach all partners with their request. Perhaps certain features of a partner project could be accessible directly from here (i.e. adding data to a project via an interface on this site, or just reading out certain data from a project and displaying it over here (i.e. a chart…).

That would not just avoid double work but would also bring people together that are already doing that kind of stuff and have already a level of experience in that field. Looking for new people to build up and work on a new project while there are people out there already that are eager enough to start such a thing on their own would be a bit strange.

Okay, I realize this could as well be a new thread, but perhaps a mod could split this if they think I went too far off topic here.

pacman

pacman
Joined  11-05-2009

22 May 2009 11:08

Oh and I see it’s official that Wikipedia is going to use CC-BY-SA http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ so it would probably be best to use the same license. Then we can copy lot’s over…..

Tgr

Tgr
Total Posts:  2
Joined  18-05-2009

27 May 2009 11:49

Do you mean a wiki about atheism etc. or a wiki about The Reason Project? I agree that duplicating efforts that are already done elsewhere (and, quite likely, done better) is a waste of human resources. An organizational wiki, on the other hand, is a nice tool to synchronize efforts, keep information about projects and ideas, organize actions and so on.