Official stances on other causes

DanDare

DanDare
Total Posts:  35
Joined  18-05-2009

23 May 2009 20:20

virtualmary - 23 May 2009 12:35 PM
mpbrockman - 22 May 2009 09:31 AM

Heartily seconded, and I might take it a step further. There are reasonable stances to be taken on opposite sides of many an issue. The TRP forum is a good place to hash these out and perhaps we will reach some consensuses, but I think our having “official positions” on issues will, in the end, limit us. The mission statement contains the words “encourage critical thinking”. To take hard and fast positions, even on what seem to be the most obviously relevant issues - seems contrary to this aim.

Or more lightly put, do y’all really want to get into the cat herding business?

no cat herding, please!

you make an important point mpbrockman, but if we aim to “encourage critical thinking” then when we identify instances (within the above mentioned umbrella topics) where a lack of sound reason seems to dominate public discourse, or worse, appears for practical purposes to be absent, should we not, as a group, be speaking up? maybe not with a “hard and fast” position, but with a general consensus (that as you mentioned we have perhaps hashed out here) or with a number of reasonable alternative positions/viewpoints?

That’s a good thought. Lets not identify fixed positions but areas where we believe reason must be applied. Lets also indicate where we think a stance has been taken that has not been thought out. That would be a conversation starter rather than a blocker.

Argo

Argo
Total Posts:  227
Joined  07-05-2008

23 May 2009 21:40

The easiest way to make a name for ourselves is to loudly support all the groups that face bigotry and oppression. Non-violent users of criminalized substances. LGBT’s. The various races and creeds. Women. Children. Hell, men. Anyone who looks different. If we all stood up for them, aggressively, we would have something going. Do it because it’s the right thing to do.

Joe77

Joe77
Total Posts:  15
Joined  30-05-2009

31 May 2009 20:47

Not that I’m against anything that’s on this list, but I think the focal point should be to break the tyranny of religious dogma so we can be truly free.

braccus

braccus
Total Posts:  15
Joined  18-05-2009

02 June 2009 13:31

mpbrockman - 22 May 2009 09:31 AM
Og - 20 May 2009 07:41 PM

I think we need to take a step back before we jump into what political stances TRP holds. TRP should transcend party politics, especially since people of all different political backgrounds are a part of TRP. I think the issues it should address are the social and scientific issues that religion has impacted. For example, stem cell research wouldn’t even be an issue if it weren’t for religion. Gay marriage, separation of church and state, etc. Those are issues for the TRP. It gets blurrier with things like war, which is much more political than the previous social issues stated.

I’m afraid that by having official stances for TRP, we may alienate the wide variety of people that hold different political views. We just need to stick only to the issues that everyone would naturally agree on through reason.

Heartily seconded, and I might take it a step further. There are reasonable stances to be taken on opposite sides of many an issue. The TRP forum is a good place to hash these out and perhaps we will reach some consensuses, but I think our having “official positions” on issues will, in the end, limit us. The mission statement contains the words “encourage critical thinking”. To take hard and fast positions, even on what seem to be the most obviously relevant issues - seems contrary to this aim.

Or more lightly put, do y’all really want to get into the cat herding business?

I think you two are on the right track here. The one “stance” we should take as a group should be against religious dogmatism, and to a greater degree, dogmatism in general.

I sincerely doubt that just because we all “don’t believe” in one ideology, one way of approaching the universe (religion), doesn’t mean we will all agree on many others. Yes, we share a common approach to understanding and the search for knowledge….But that by no means dictates we all agree on a list of “issues.” Lest we let dogmatism creep into our midst.

< 1 2