Treaty of Tripoli Day is June 10th!

Jeff Clanton

Jeff Clanton
Total Posts:  1
Joined  17-05-2009

18 May 2009 05:04

Treaty of Tripoli Day is a way to celebrate the separation of church and state by raising awareness of this very important legal document.  The way it works is we encourage everyone who values the separation of church and state to change their Facebook, MySpace, or other social site status to:  (Your name will be here) asks, “Did you know on June 10th 1797, President John Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli, which states that “the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion?”  And, to change their profile pic to that of John Adams.  The event begins at 12am the morning of June 10th and ends at midnite. 

Think of the impact of thousands of profile pics and statuses changing overnite to reveal this message!

This exercize should help establish solidarity among freethinkers and spark dialogue between ideological camps.

My friend, Lee Wood, and I have been spamming the heck out of this idea and it’s just barely creeping along.  As of today we have only 42 confirmed attendees to the Facebook event:  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=102251538661&ref=share.  We need your help!

Please, if you like this idea, share it with your friends and participate.  If you know anyone whose voice reaches large quantities of people, please encourage them to share and promote this idea.  This lesser known document is one that every US citizen should be aware of.  A yearly event like this would make a positive impact on the American perception of what our forefathers had in mind for our nation.

virtual~mary

virtual~mary
Total Posts:  34
Joined  07-05-2009

18 May 2009 17:41

maybe contact some organizations with strong web and e-advocacy presence like the Human Rights Campaign?

check out the group “americans united for the separation of church and state.” here’s their page on religion in public schools.

Jeff Clanton

Jeff Clanton
Total Posts:  1
Joined  17-05-2009

18 May 2009 18:22

Thanks!  I wrote them.  Great ideas!

virtual~mary

virtual~mary
Total Posts:  34
Joined  07-05-2009

22 May 2009 20:58

You’re welcome, Jeff!

The Freedom From Religion Foundation might also be interested.