Project Suggestion: Art without Soul

rationalhumanbeing

rationalhumanbeing
Total Posts:  1
Joined  19-05-2009

19 May 2009 15:55

I’d like to see a project of nonbelieving artists in any type of media or genre.  Misunderstanding the mysteries of creativity and their inspirations tend to lead people to beleive that creating something means you were moved to it by a supernatural presence.  Art has often been thought of as magic for this very reason and music such as blues has always had “soul”.

I’d like to see a project of various artists who are not religious (past and present).  Perhaps an online gallery of art, music, writing, etc. with artists’ quotes or writings discussing worldly inspiration.  Perhaps it could even be followed up scientifically with research articles on creativity and the mind/human brain.

Just an idea.  (Please forgive me if it has been posted before…I did not see anything like it in title, at least.)

virtual~mary

virtual~mary
Total Posts:  34
Joined  07-05-2009

19 May 2009 18:03

excellent idea! i’m interested in contributing music, poetry and essay about the creative process.

as for art being thought of as “magic” i find this is still very much the case, even among otherwise rational people. this is more “escapism” in my mind or a desire for a “transformative” experience.

i love the blues and the “soul” that is referred to, for me, has always been about the deeply sensual human experience, musically expressed as longing, pain, ecstacy, et al.

[ Edited: 19 May 2009 18:13 by virtual~mary]

Aaron

Aaron
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  04-12-2006

20 May 2009 00:20

rationalhumanbeing - 19 May 2009 01:55 PM

I’d like to see a project of nonbelieving artists in any type of media or genre.  Misunderstanding the mysteries of creativity and their inspirations tend to lead people to beleive that creating something means you were moved to it by a supernatural presence.  Art has often been thought of as magic for this very reason and music such as blues has always had “soul”.

I’d like to see a project of various artists who are not religious (past and present).  Perhaps an online gallery of art, music, writing, etc. with artists’ quotes or writings discussing worldly inspiration.  Perhaps it could even be followed up scientifically with research articles on creativity and the mind/human brain.

Just an idea.  (Please forgive me if it has been posted before…I did not see anything like it in title, at least.)

I like your idea of a collection of works by nontheist artists. I wonder if there are enough of them to actually form collaborations. About me - I’m a composer finishing up a PhD in composition at the U of Oregon. My dissertation is a composition for large chamber ensemble called To Fill the Hour. The title is from an Emerson essay called “Experience.”

To fill the hour, that is happiness; to fill the hour, and leave no crevice for a repentance or an approval.

The work is in six short movements, each of which is based on a model of either unhappiness or happiness from Bertrand Russell’s 1930 book The Conquest of Happiness.

I’m moving to Boston in August and will be seeking as many possibilities as possible while there.  I wonder if I could start something there.

Edit: I like the online idea, but am really interested in live performances and showings. I’m actually getting really tired of the internet!

[ Edited: 20 May 2009 00:30 by Aaron]