The Messiah, you say?

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

21 May 2009 19:08

Much is made (by Christians) of Jesus’ fulfillment of Old Testament Messianic prohecy.  There is serious dispute about whether or not any of those prophecies applied to Jesus but, most damning of all, there are specific messianic prophecies which remain unfulfilled today. 
But according to scripture, when the Jewish Messiah appears, we will know it’s him precisely because all predictions—all messianic prophecy—will come to pass.
Christians explain the fact that they haven’t with talk of a “Second Coming”, but nowhere in the Jewish tradition does it speak of a Messiah dying for anyone’s sins and returning thousands of years later to clear up unfulfilled prophecy.  That is entirely a Christian fabrication to explain the obvious fact of Jesus’ having come and gone—without the accompanying Messianic Age promised in prophecy. 

First, some background.
“Messiah” is English for the Hebrew word “mashiah” and means “anoint”, pretty much—the practice in ancient Semitic cultures (at least) of bathing their king in fragrant oils as part of a religious rite.  (And probably so he would smell better than commoners—water being scarce in the desert)
THE messiah, according to Jewish tradition and recorded in their scripture, will be a human being unequalled in holiness, strength and power.  He will come from the line of David and will deliver Israel from her evil oppressors and rule, in God’s name, over the world.

There are many verses which speak of the messiah and describe his lineage and function, but let’s look at a few which speak to his impact on humanity and see where we stand:

And He [Messiah] shall judge among the nations and decide for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.”—(Isaiah 2:4)

Obviously this prophecy has not been realized, so we can only conclude that the messiah has not yet come.

Isaiah also says that the Nile will dry up.

And the Lord will utterly destroy the tongue of the sea of Egypt and wave His hand over the river with His scorching wind, and smite it into seven channels, and make men cross dryshod.”(11:15)

Of course the Nile flows merrily along and the Delta has not dried up in recorded history.

Daniel says that the dead will be resurrected:

And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake: some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.(12:2)

Our graveyards remain full, leaving us with the conclusion, once again, that the Messiah has not yet come.

And here’s one just for fun!
Ezekiel says that when the Messiah comes, trees in Israel will bear new fruit every month:

And on both sides of the bank of the stream [the Jordan], all trees for food will grow; their leaves will not wither nor will their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because their waters flow from the Sanctuary; their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for medicine.(47:12)

You’ll recall that Jesus laid a curse on a fig tree because it was out of season and had nothing for him to eat. (Mark 11:13-14)  I imagine he did so because a non-bearing fig tree made a lie out of any claim he may have had to messiahship.

I’m sure Jesus was a very nice guy, if he existed, and a profoundly spiritual fellow—but he couldn’t have been the Jewish Messiah.

Sonny Dee the Notorious

Sonny Dee the Notorious
Total Posts:  37
Joined  18-05-2009

21 May 2009 19:15

Andrew - 21 May 2009 05:08 PM

He will come from the line of David and will deliver Israel from her evil oppressors and rule, in God’s name, over the world.

Indeed. And according to the new testament he wasn’t even of the line of david.  No more than I am of my step-father’s line.

john76

john76
Total Posts:  709
Joined  15-12-2008

21 May 2009 22:06

Sonny Dee the Notorious - 21 May 2009 05:15 PM

He will come from the line of David and will deliver Israel from her evil oppressors and rule, in God’s name, over the world.

Indeed. And according to the new testament he wasn’t even of the line of david.  No more than I am of my step-father’s line.

You might want to check out Dr. James Tabor’s ‘The Jesus Dynasty’ on that one

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

22 May 2009 09:00

john76 - 21 May 2009 08:06 PM
Sonny Dee the Notorious - 21 May 2009 05:15 PM

You might want to check out Dr. James Tabor’s ‘The Jesus Dynasty’ on that one

(Andrew):  Book recommendations, in lieu of explanation, don’t contribute much to the discussion.
Jus’ sayin’