< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Sam is not enough

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Total Posts:  2015
Joined  10-11-2006

24 May 2009 14:48

Josh - 24 May 2009 11:19 AM

I….., this will be my last post in this thread…!

That is very considerate of you, Josh.
Now we can all sit back and contemplate the timeless wisdom you have so generously shared with us.

Also, it will give you some time to devote to your hobbies; drinking cheap beer, smelling your own farts, and masturbating while watching American Gladiator re-runs.

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Joined  10-11-2006

24 May 2009 15:24

I suppose it would be helpful to give an example of what I have in mind.

To me, treating religion with contempt and ridicule is more effective than mere conversational intolerance.
As the religious impulse seems ineradicable in us, the best we can hope for is to make people too embarrassed to take their delusions out in the public sphere.
I’d be quite happy if the faithful just remained in their cloisters and dungeons to eat their Jebus, slaughter their goats and jerk-off over statues of Marie, or whatever it is that believers do.

The following is an example taken from a Christian forum where I torment and harass the febrile, glossolalic bliss ninnies to my devious heart’s content.

The OP goes on, paragraph after paragraph, about how God has healed a wound of his (you have heard all this nonsense before so I won’t bother to quote all of it) and ends with the following closing sentence.

My reply, and suggested stance on how to approach the faithful, follows.

On http://www.christiandoctrinediscussion.com

GOD HEALED MY INCURABLE WOUND

By Eli.

“....So, just yesterday – God spoke to me about this. For a long time He has been preparing me for the work of service to which I am Sovereignly appointed. Just recently, He sent me out from His presence to begin this work of service, and in doing so, He sent me first to The 5 Porches of Bethesda where there are gathered together “Those who wait for a sign for the time of their healing.” He told me to find those whom He would reveal to me, and to ask them “Do you want to get well?”—- Yesterday He said to me, from 1 Sam 30 – “Give this Testimony which I have given to you to them in every place you are accustomed to go, and My works of glory shall be in it.” I am to give this to you all, as “a gift of the spoils taken from the enemy” – and so I do it gladly, willingly, with this heartfelt prayer; that if you can identify with what I have shared: if you have waited long for a sign of the time of your healing – if someone always beats you down into the pool – may I say to you in the almighty name of Yeshua – (there is no name that is higher) “Whatever you incurable wound may be my dear friend, “Take up your bed and walk.” May the works of His glory make it good to you.

It has been my pleasure and my joy to share this with you all. I am His bondservant for your sakes. I am always here if you need me. May God richly bless you and may His true Shalom be with you all today….”

Response by Bad Rabbit

“The pleasure is all yours, Eli.

You must be very special that the creator of the universe takes such an active interest in your person. And how kind of Him to heal your nasty wound.
Now, before we all start ululating praise the Lord, let’s consider the curious case of the 500 million people (most of them children) who died slowly and agonizingly of smallpox, in the 20th century alone.
For the sake of the argument we will ignore all those hundreds of millions of people who have died of AIDS, cholera, the Plague, influenza and a kaleidoscopic array of viruses and bacteria that the Good Lord, for reasons inscrutable, saw fit to create alongside the animals and people.

What did those 500 million people do to deserve God’s indifference?
Have any of you seen pictures of children dying of smallpox?
I can tell you, it isn’t pretty.

All these centuries of unfathomable suffering on this beautiful and brutal planet went by with Heaven watching all this misery with folded arms, perhaps even with approval, after all, some guy, a long time ago, committed the heinous crime of eating a frigging apple. And along comes Eli, who is so special and dear to the Lord that He will make an exception for poor, little Eli and heal him.

Shall I tell you what I think of you,Eli?

You are a solipsistic ego-maniac, a raving lunatic, a sanctimonious self-indulgent freak-show. You are intellectually lazy and your morals are shallow and repugnant.

And, worst of all, you can’t write worth a damn.

Bad Rabbit”

[ Edited: 24 May 2009 22:30 by Lapin Diabolique]

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

24 May 2009 15:44

Bad Rabbit - 24 May 2009 01:24 PM

. . .
To me, treating religion with contempt and ridicule is more effective than mere conversational intolerance.

Couldn’t it be said that treating religion with contempt and ridicule falls within conversational intolerance?

How long before you got kicked off that site, BR? Your response to that cracker sounded downright inspired to me.

Wait. I’d better not say too much about my negative feelings regarding hyper-narcissistic religionists. Josh may be looking on.

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Joined  10-11-2006

24 May 2009 17:03

unknown zone - 24 May 2009 01:44 PM

Couldn’t it be said that treating religion with contempt and ridicule falls within conversational intolerance?

These are the shades of public heresy as I see them;

First, there is absolute outward conformity and silence about any doubts one may have regarding one’s neighbors’ invisible friends as any dissent from the dogma will get you burned alive.

Next, unbelievers are permitted to remain unincinerated but they have to strive mightily to ensure the pious that they too can be nice people and may even act morally once in a while.

Then come the Sams of the world who point out the liabilities of religious douchenozzlery and who stand their ground intellectually.

Finally there are those who hold that religion must be actively driven to the margins of society.

Where Sam is a cunning and erudite pugilist who can bloody the pinched noses of the baptists and assorted fuckweazels with witty and caustic ripostes, I’d say we up the intolerance to the level of Tarantino-esque verbal violence and become, in the words of that great Thespian, Jules Winnfield,  “a mushroom-cloud laying motherfucker,motherfucker…”

But perhaps you are right and the difference is negligible.

Good to find you here, Dave.

[ Edited: 24 May 2009 17:25 by Lapin Diabolique]

rab

rab
Total Posts:  2541
Joined  26-03-2006

25 May 2009 00:46

Did Eli ever get back with a reply? I’m curious to find out what his response will be to the argument about the millions who died from smallpox.

.Lesa

.Lesa
Total Posts:  59
Joined  12-05-2009

25 May 2009 02:31

Nope, no reply yet (direct link to thread), although it’s only been 14 hours since Rabbit’s post. The response will probably be to say Satan has a hold on Rabbit and that Eli will be praying for him. Then, when Rabbit comes back with a response to that, he’ll be banned from the site (I’m surprised he isn’t already). raspberry

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17957
Joined  15-02-2008

25 May 2009 03:39

If you really want to fuck we people force them to watch Donny Darko and while their mind is still confused make them watch S.Darko which will turn them into mindless zombies you can control.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17957
Joined  15-02-2008

25 May 2009 03:57

The OP reminded of one of my favorite vids: for those who haven’t seen it, you must!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Joined  10-11-2006

25 May 2009 23:08

I have to say that I am disappointed by the unwillingness to be more vociferous in their unbelief displayed here by Rab, Fredwho, Esnyder and others, who seem to lack the big, brown, hairy cojones required to effectively fight these religious numbnuts. (Please note the double reference to testicles in just one sentence! No small nut to crack, linguistically speaking.)

But, perhaps, our different tactics can work together towards the common goal.

For my part, when I am about to engage in battle with the faithful,  I always think of the conversation that Mickey Rourke’s character, police captain Stanley White has with Jone Lone’s character, the Chinese mafioso Joey Tai, in the 1985 movie Year of the dragon.

Whenever I hear a preacher or some other religious fuckweasel babble on, in customary stentorian voice, about how Jebus hates gay people or how Allah will smite girls who commit the crime of showing their ankles, or some other human toilet brush with a funny hat who rambles on about Satan’s latest shenanigans, I always imagine the scene where White declares open warfare on Joe Tai.

White: I am going to burn you down. I am going to drag you and your dirty laundry out into the street and I am going to humiliate you.

Tai: You are very stupid. And you won’t last.

White: (before dramatically exiting the room) I’ll last long enough to piss on your grave.

If, by now, you don’t know how much I detest the clergy and most of their flock, than you never will.

Sara

Sara
Total Posts:  12
Joined  27-05-2009

27 May 2009 16:25

Bad Rabbit, we gotta stop this “US vs. THEM” mentality. We are them. We are all members of the human race. We have to advance together.

Indoctrination is a powerful tool and most of them don’t even realize it was used on them. I know, I was one of them. And if you came at me with zero tolerance due to my beliefs and wielded your atheist sword in a desire to destroy my faith…. I may not have never listened to the inquisitive and tolerant atheist who came into my life and carefully allowed me to open my mind. If I had felt I was being attacked, I wouldn’t have listened or cared to understand. It was those things that I couldn’t answer, asked in a non-judgmental tone,  that made me think, that sent me on my path to atheism…. and I didn’t even know it.

Now, as an atheist, I know everyone comes to atheism in different ways… and some maybe need a little shake before their ignorance can fall away, but the masses just need someone to open the door of reason. Once they get a little peek, feel curious about what’s over there, and are allowed to flip through it a bit on their own… the lessons learned will be permanent and lasting. Not sudden and forgettable…... and offensive.

[ Edited: 27 May 2009 16:31 by Sara]

Aussie

Aussie
Total Posts:  1
Joined  27-05-2009

28 May 2009 00:16

Well said!

Image Attachments

No God.jpg

Fredwho

Fredwho
Total Posts:  141
Joined  11-05-2009

28 May 2009 01:23

Bad Rabbit - 25 May 2009 09:08 PM

I have to say that I am disappointed by the unwillingness to be more vociferous in their unbelief displayed here….

I understand the vehemence of your attacks on the purveyors of unreason (in your words ‘religious fuckweasels’), Bad Rabbit, but if your intention is to help make this world a less religious one, then your approach is extremely counter-productive. Take heed of Sara’s post, above. Wise words there, my friend.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9804
Joined  20-10-2006

01 June 2009 05:09

Bad Rabbit - 22 May 2009 08:15 PM

Because of this I’d say that the time for conversational intolerance is long past and that we should treat the faithful like we treat the Ebola virus, with zero tolerance so we can destroy this self-destructive meme with extreme prejudice.

Crap like this is straight out of the Bible, and it’s OK if it’s quoted from there but divisive and hateful if it has another source.  Why?  Because questioning the validity of religion is socially off limits.

Atheists need Bad Rabbit as Christians need Pat Robertson - to get your attention with a kick to the nuts.  Being nice doesn’t always work, and often a harsh light and difficult questions must be hurled at the faithful to expose the sand under their religious foundation.

Religion in the US is extremely territorial and won’t stand for competition, and when faced with apathy and atheism it shows its true colors - the only reason to believe is fear of the afterlife.  Direct and consistent challenges to this malarkey is the only way to shove it into dark corners and closets and to show those uncertain of their beliefs that not believing is an option.

So, how does religion lose its appeal to the masses and have its influence reduced to the ranks of Star Trek fans?  By not putting up with its shit.

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

01 June 2009 09:56

Skipshot - 01 June 2009 03:09 AM

So, how does religion lose its appeal to the masses and have its influence reduced to the ranks of Star Trek fans?  By not putting up with its shit.

(Andrew):  I agree with this.  Playing nice to theists is not the way to reduce their morbid influence.  It just makes them bolder.

zelzo

zelzo
Total Posts:  2029
Joined  20-12-2007

01 June 2009 19:05

GAD - 25 May 2009 01:57 AM

The OP reminded of one of my favorite vids: for those who haven’t seen it, you must!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

That was excellent, Gad.

Lindajean

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›