free local “news”

deliberator_nd

deliberator_nd
Total Posts:  1
Joined  24-05-2009

25 May 2009 04:10

My idea is to create a local newspaper, except that it won’t be a bunch of short AP stoires pretending to accurately depict what’s going on in the world. It will include longer, well-written essays that have been researched enough to make a definite point, and try to explain why religion, big banks and profit-driven companies will bring our downfall if we don’t start doing something about our own lives. I’d also like to include commentaries on the essays from people who write/email, and also focus on positive things at times so that the consensus doesn’t become: “Yep, life is really fucked up and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

I have myself under an alias (my town is too small to use my own name), and a few close friends who would like to work on it with me, but where to begin is the tough question. What subjects are the most pressing? And how do you present them in a way that the general public will begin to shift its mindset towards productive solutions to these issues? It’d also be better to have more resources (i.e. a large copy machine, etc.) but it makes more sense to have a plan figured out before a lot of money gets invested into it (way to go stockbrokers!). Any comments or suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks for reading!
*crysta

DangerousTalk

DangerousTalk
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-05-2009

25 May 2009 04:38

That’s great, but what if you make a profit? Then you would have to be against yourself. Seriously though, in college two of my friends and I did that. We started a small anonymous newspaper called “Discourse & Reason.” It worked pretty well too. We even set up an e-mail address for people to send us ideas, articles, and and hate-mail. eventually, we decided to identify ourselves and stop being anonymous. Personally, I don’t really understand why we went the anonymous route anyway. I think it is better that we did identify ourselves so that we could put a more human face to reason.
-Staks
DangerousTalk.net