‹ First  < 2 3 4

A Tactful Approach

Crito

Crito
Total Posts:  88
Joined  01-06-2009

11 June 2009 22:39

To express someone else’s view as “delusional” will always come off as an insult.  However sure you are of your own opinions, they are just as sure of theirs.  When faced with insults or direct challenges it only fires up your own defense in an emotional way rather than a rational way.  It should never be argued, only explained as fact.  If someone has questions, then explain or point the way to truth, but there’s simply no reason to put up an agressive fight as it only inspires the opponent to fight just as hard and ignore any sense in your own argument.

You never have to debate the truth.  Things that are true, just are.  Nobody has to debate whether a circle is round.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

13 June 2009 14:11

Crito - 11 June 2009 08:39 PM

To express someone else’s view as “delusional” will always come off as an insult.  However sure you are of your own opinions, they are just as sure of theirs.

That makes them no less delusional.

When faced with insults or direct challenges it only fires up your own defense in an emotional way rather than a rational way.  It should never be argued, only explained as fact.

I will argue that an argument is:  a reason or reasons offered for or against something; the offering of such such reasons; reasoning. Argument refers to a discussion in which there is disagreement and suggests the use of logic and the bringing forth of facts to support or refute a point.  I hope you’re not suggesting that one shouldn’t stick to their guns when they have the facts on their side just because the opponent refuses to recognize and accept them.

If someone has questions, then explain or point the way to truth, but there’s simply no reason to put up an agressive fight as it only inspires the opponent to fight just as hard and ignore any sense in your own argument.

Theists have no questions or problems with their truths. They must ignore any sense in my argument in order to maintain it, that is the real threat to them. That there is no reason to put up an aggressive fight doesn’t appear to be based on sound reasoning in my judgment. As they say, “war is hell!” Thankfully, MLK, Jr., Harvey Milk, and others didn’t heed that advice.

You never have to debate the truth.  Things that are true, just are.  Nobody has to debate whether a circle is round.

The debate (and the fight) is not the individual’s truth or whether one gets it or not, it’s about what rules society chooses to live under, is it based on truth or delusion? Truth recognizes the state of delusion, but not the other way around. The argument is exactly whether a circle is round.

[ Edited: 13 June 2009 14:18 by goodgraydrab]

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5268
Joined  28-05-2009

13 June 2009 15:59

No politician confuses tact and courtesy with respect. If anything, they are often quite the opposite.

Godfreelovejoy

Godfreelovejoy
Total Posts:  117
Joined  23-05-2009

02 July 2009 15:57

A tactfull approach,,,or the thin edge of the wedge??? .We have to be very carefull when trying to be all incompasing,,like religion tries to do today .The problem with this idea is that what we will eventualy end up with for a reality will be something like,,,christian/Islamic/hindu/agnostic/atheist…An insane person feeling groovy because he fits into all philosophy…This is not where we want to go,,,we don’t want the new scientist christian agnostic soup .Hell no,,,we need clear and obvious lines to be drawn in the sand,,,it is NOT sane to believe god is real,,it is NOT sane to believe in heaven or life after death .The earth is 4 billion years old,,not 6000,,,we evolved,,,There are many things we can’t accept about superstition and the madness that is religion .So yes we need to talk and debate and exchange ideas,,,but don’t let the “majority"talk you into the idea that everyone and every idea has it’s value,,,because it’s not true,,,there is truth and there is lies,,religion is lies,,,there is reality and there is fantasy,,,religion is fantasy,,,I don’t have any problem talking to a fundementalist,,but I will not pretend that the bible is in any way credible,,just so they can continue along in their dillusion happily.

Godfreelovejoy

Godfreelovejoy
Total Posts:  117
Joined  23-05-2009

05 July 2009 20:23

So how would one tactfully explain to a person that they are insane???,,,The slow way,,,you have to re-educate them .Some countries have had cult busters,,I think america used to ???,,but basicaly you have to start with a simple fact like the earth is round not flat,,,that the sun is the center of our solar system not the earth,,,and slowly build it up to the point of explaining the infinite universe and time,,,and the evolution of man,,religion,,,technology,,,it’s a long and slow process that would require funding to make it happen .Here in New Zealand I aplied to the government to be a Charitable Trust based on Atheism , I was turned down claiming,,“Unlawfull”  .So that is something we need to challenge,,,the governments discrimination against Atheism,,,if other belief systems can be a Charitable Trust then so should Atheism be able .Blatant discrimination,,and when I complained to the Human rights commission,,,they threatened me with a large bill if I persisted,,,...We in the west are a religous dictatorship disguised as a democrasy,,,Not until Atheism is given equal rights can we call ourselves “Secular”

‹ First  < 2 3 4