Different religions

LogicAndReason

LogicAndReason
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  04-12-2007

03 June 2009 14:25

GAD - 03 June 2009 01:45 AM
eudemonia - 02 June 2009 12:37 PM

Ha! Got me. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Why don’t you change yours to DAG. We will never know.

Now that the name “Bruce Burleson” is available maybe I can change to that and raise some hell smile

Bruce and I exchanged e-mails this week and I assume he will be back on these very Forums…I hope.  Bruce brings some accountability to some of the conspiracy theories here.  Thanks again for the book recommendation.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17990
Joined  15-02-2008

03 June 2009 14:46

LogicAndReason - 03 June 2009 12:25 PM

Ha! Got me. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Why don’t you change yours to DAG. We will never know.

Now that the name “Bruce Burleson” is available maybe I can change to that and raise some hell smile

Bruce and I exchanged e-mails this week and I assume he will be back on these very Forums…I hope.  Bruce brings some accountability to some of the conspiracy theories here.  Thanks again for the book recommendation.

Oh, I think his spirit is floating about smile

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

03 June 2009 15:30

GAD - 03 June 2009 12:46 PM

BTW how and why did BB remove himself from the members list? He was a top 5 poster and has now vanished, does he not like us anymore?

LogicAndReason

LogicAndReason
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  04-12-2007

03 June 2009 19:15

GAD - 03 June 2009 01:30 PM
GAD - 03 June 2009 12:46 PM

BTW how and why did BB remove himself from the members list? He was a top 5 poster and has now vanished, does he not like us anymore?

I don’t think Bruce has posted since the site moved…neither has my brother…AKA…Beam.  It seems one has to post to get moved or otherwise…

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

03 June 2009 20:41

L&R, you’d better tell your bro to get over here with the rest of us ole SHF posters. Many of us miss his commentary.

Jatheist

Jatheist
Total Posts:  44
Joined  13-05-2009

04 June 2009 02:28

LogicAndReason - 31 May 2009 10:23 PM
GAD - 31 May 2009 01:36 PM
LogicAndReason - 31 May 2009 01:20 PM
GAD - 31 May 2009 12:28 PM

Paul (an educated Greek-speaking Pharisee and the first author of Christian canon),

The argument that he wasn’t is stronger then the one that he was, which comes form acts which says Paul said and did things he didn’t.

Granted…and not important as this discussion goes.  My posit is that educated Jews (to include a letter-writer we identify as Paul) took a Greek cult and married it to Judaism.  From what Josephus tells us about the Essenes in Antiquities, they exhibited beliefs and behaviors that would be cast as Christian later.  Sectarian Judaism and Greek philosophy both contribute to what become Christianity…but Judaism is not the progenitor of Christianity (as the Christians claim)...it is merely a borrowed epistemology.

As Bart D. Ehrman writes in many of his books, the New Testament was written in Greek, not Aramaic nor Hebrew.  Ignorant fishermen and day laborers from Galilee did not write any of these books.  Nothing presented in the NT is from an eye-witness and the connection to Judaism is clearly a Christian association, not Jewish.  Notice that the Jews wrote nothing about Jesus until the 3rd century (it is as if he never existed for them to know about.  Ever wonder why the first Gospel written, the one we call ‘Mark’ is not written until after the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus?  Maybe too many witnesses existed before that calamity that could have disputed Mark’s ‘Truth.’

When Paul wrote there appears to have already been an established Jesus movement in Jerusalem and related stories floating about, do you consider that a Greek cult or a variation of Judaism?

You raise a great point and I will be the first to admit that we will never be sure due to lack of evidence.  But lets look closely to the ‘Pillars’ Paul references in Galatians 1 and 2.  He may call them ‘Those who cam before me’ but he never infers that they were followers of an earthly Jesus either. He tells us next to nothing about him.  Can we trust Luke’s Acts?  In fact, Paul never quotes a single Jesus phrase from the Gospels (written after his death) and never mentions Galilee, Virgin Births, Mary or Joseph, where and when Jesus lived or died…basically none of the later Gospel details.  His Jesus was the totally ‘revealed’ fellow found in his 1 Cor 15 speech.  Who tells us that this started in Jerusalem?  The Gospels.  Can anyone when the Gospels are written deny this…no Jerusalem was in ruins.  Please name me one church father, not a biblical apostle, that is Jewish…answer: there are none.  I think the antecedents were Greek first and the version we know today was the result of a syncretism between these cults and Diaspora synagogues.  This is total conjecture but so is the NT.

Christianity as we know it since Constantine is far from the many beliefs of its adherents in the 1st century.  Where were all the churches Paul was writing?  Were any in Palestine?  We think this because it has been part of Western religious hegemony since the 4th century.  But look closely my friend, what is the epistemology of this information?  Do we get if from sources other than the redacted NT?  Nope

One reason that Christianity may have emerged as such a synthesis of Greek, Roman and Jewish thought was simply geography.  Israel formed the land bridge to so many trade routes and roads to so much of the Roman Empire and other civilizations. Whatever dynamic religious practice emerged from it was bound to have far-reaching effects. Many scholars think Paul (and his Gnostic “twin” Marcion) intentionally spurned the church in Jerusalem (whatever it may have been) and basically built our version of Christianity from the ground up only later adding in Judaic elements to make it more palatable to Diasporic Jews.

Beam

Beam
Total Posts:  1619
Joined  02-04-2008

04 June 2009 13:04

Andrew - 31 May 2009 06:14 PM

(Andrew):  And then they thought the messiah was Cyrus the Great (Isaiah 45:1) who’d been sent by God to deliver them and rule the world.  No mention of anyone named Jesus coming along in a few hundred years.

Nor was their any mention of Miley for similarly obvious reasons.

Image Attachments

Cyrus.jpg

eudemonia

eudemonia
Joined  05-04-2008

04 June 2009 14:31

Beam is back! With pics and all!!

Is that milk on Billy Ray’s lip or…..?  cheese

Perhaps that is Billy Ray Shears?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 June 2009 14:37

eudemonia - 04 June 2009 12:31 PM

Beam is back! With pics and all!!

Is that milk on Billy Ray’s lip or…..?  cheese

Perhaps that is Billy Ray Shears?

If it was “or”, would that make Miley a virgin birth smile

See how these things get started!

eudemonia

eudemonia
Joined  05-04-2008

04 June 2009 14:47

GAD, you are a prophet. Now I understand! Now go find an illiterate scribe to document this for you.

Beam

Beam
Joined  02-04-2008

04 June 2009 15:02

Praise cheeses. Eudemonia, are you my friend, McC raised from the grave?

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

04 June 2009 15:15

Beam - 04 June 2009 11:04 AM
Andrew - 31 May 2009 06:14 PM

(Andrew):  And then they thought the messiah was Cyrus the Great (Isaiah 45:1) who’d been sent by God to deliver them and rule the world.  No mention of anyone named Jesus coming along in a few hundred years.

Nor was their any mention of Miley for similarly obvious reasons.

(Andrew):  Yay!  Beam’s here!

Beam

Beam
Joined  02-04-2008

04 June 2009 15:29

Thanks! I hope your furkid is improving, Andrew.

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

04 June 2009 15:42

Beam - 04 June 2009 01:29 PM

Thanks! I hope your furkid is improving, Andrew.

(Andrew):  Everyone’s top-notch and looking forward to some summertime, thanks!

eudemonia

eudemonia
Joined  05-04-2008

04 June 2009 20:47

Yes, I am McC Beam. I am now a gentler more well being kind of McCreason! Glad to see you could find some time for us.

< 1 2 3 4 >