Theism and LOST

MerLudwig

MerLudwig
Total Posts:  135
Joined  11-05-2009

12 June 2009 23:03

DISCLAIMER: If you haven’t seen LOST all the way through and want to, consider this fair spoiler warning! If you are not a LOST viewer, hopefully this will still make some sense.

A couple of my theist friends who are very into LOST have, interestingly enough, been demanding more and more scientific explanations for the strange phenomena in the show. Throughout the course of the five seasons of LOST, the producers and writers have done a remarkably thorough job of tying in not only rational explanations of some of the occurrences but also some tidbits of actual science - physics theories and concepts here and there. There is some debate among the die-hard fans (which sadly, I am among) as to the religious and scientific “conflicts” on the show, which personally I don’t see; they only seem to manifest themselves as science explaining everything we DO know so far about the crazy Island and all the other mysterious happenings, and interpreting what we DON’T know as issues of some magical or divine cause. The rest is emblematic, but nothing more, it seems.

The funny thing about this is that they have stated, while we are all on the edge of our seats over what happens next, that the writers NEED to end the show with a good, logical explanation for all of these mysteries. I agree that if they ended the show by brushing off the rest of the mysteries as ‘some spiritual entity did it’, even the most devout theists would be LIVID.

So I asked them the big question: ‘why is divine intervention a good enough explanation for real life, but not good enough for LOST?’

They replied with variations of saying: ‘well LOST is just so complex!’

Real life is pretty darn complex too….I would wager, more so than a TV show….wow.

21stCenturyAtheist

21stCenturyAtheist
Total Posts:  123
Joined  31-05-2009

13 June 2009 00:16

I know LOST is a huge hit, but I have never seen it.  Damn, I am so out of the pop culture loop!  You have made me interested in how it ends however.  I hope the writers can come up with something logical enough to make your theist friends think a little.  I hope it ends ambiguously, so people will be able to debate what really happened for a long time.  I am thinking “The Matrix Trilogy” here.  Most people didn’t like the ending, but I did.  It provided a little hope, but ultimately it was rather tragic to realize what really happened.

b00ger

b00ger
Total Posts:  360
Joined  22-05-2009

15 June 2009 09:35

I have just recently started watching Lost. Just finished up season 2 a few days ago. Throughout the second half of the season, faith is brought up in almost every episode. It involves whether or not to push a button every 108 minutes. I found this to be very analogous to religious belief. A less than compelling argument is made to continue pushing the button (something really bad will happen if you don’t) that I found very much like the inherent threat of Hell in Christian dogma. John’s refusal to push the button in the last episode was his loss of faith. I really thought the writers were trying to convey the importance (to them at least) of faith even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I rooted for John to not push the button the whole time. I guess I would have killed everyone for my lack of faith.

On a side note. I get really pissed when I’m trying to watch some popular TV shows for mind-numbing entertainment, (Because drugs are expensive and TV is free) and I get hit with a bunch of metaphysical faith nonsense. You can almost pick any show and there is always some crap about God or faith. Even my favorite atheist TV doctor (House) always has someone trying to teach him the importance of belief. Sometimes I get so fed up, I have to turn off the TV. But, I guess thats probably better for me anyway.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

15 June 2009 11:32

MerLudwig - 12 June 2009 09:03 PM

So I asked them the big question: ‘why is divine intervention a good enough explanation for real life, but not good enough for LOST?’

Real life is pretty darn complex too….I would wager, more so than a TV show….wow.

Nice! Hopefully you can press that point later.

I watched LOST for the first season and then LOST interest shortly after the primary characters were captured and it got too soap operatic.

Byron

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

15 June 2009 13:14

I’m a huge Lost fan and will be extremely pissed if they end the show on a religious note. That said, what science could they end it with other then Science Fiction…........

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

15 June 2009 13:23

SkepticX - 15 June 2009 09:32 AM
MerLudwig - 12 June 2009 09:03 PM

Nice! Hopefully you can press that point later.

I watched LOST for the first season and then LOST interest shortly after the primary characters were captured and it got too soap operatic.

Byron

Season 1 was good for a first season, season two really waned (not anything like Heroes though),  season three brought it all together and seasons four and five are some of the tightest most complex stories ever put on TV ( probably cost them more then a few viewers). So you really got to get through season two then it just keeps getting better and better after that.

barefootmatthew

barefootmatthew
Total Posts:  16
Joined  12-05-2009

23 June 2009 04:42

Yeah, they do toy with spirituality as the basis for some of the major “forces” behind the island’s mysterious properties, but they don’t bash you over the head with it either. In almost every instance they also dangle a secular, scientific viewpoint to possibly explain the environment, and let the viewer decide which interpretation they will read. I am pretty confident that the writers on Lost will not have it all wrap up with a mystical ending, but then again I said the same thing about Battlestar Galactica and got burned. tongue laugh