Jesus Interrupted

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

14 June 2009 12:52

Boy oh boy oh boy!

Bart Ehrman REALLY takes the New Testament to task in this one!

I wonder…...if every Christian (especially ones who take the bible literally) would read this book….....

Oh forget it, I was dreaming again. Even if they did read this book they would just find fault with Ehrman, even if he is a 30 year biblical scholar and speaks several languages.

He did answer a question that I have long asked though. In religious seminaries today, I had been wondering if all of the bible contradictions, interpolations, omissions, forgeries etc., were taught.

Yepper, they sure are. That means that many (most) Ministers, Pastors and Preists know exactly these things and of course do not ever mention them to their ignorant congregations.

That kind of makes organized Christianity among the greatest frauds in the history of humankind no?

I wonder how many Christians would be willing to read the Gospels horizontally with a historical-critical view, instead of the usual vertical devotional view?
I will put my money on…..not many.

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

14 June 2009 14:34

eudemonia - 14 June 2009 10:52 AM

Boy oh boy oh boy!

Bart Ehrman REALLY takes the New Testament to task in this one!

I wonder…...if every Christian (especially ones who take the bible literally) would read this book….....

Oh forget it, I was dreaming again. Even if they did read this book they would just find fault with Ehrman, even if he is a 30 year biblical scholar and speaks several languages.

He did answer a question that I have long asked though. In religious seminaries today, I had been wondering if all of the bible contradictions, interpolations, omissions, forgeries etc., were taught.

Yepper, they sure are. That means that many (most) Ministers, Pastors and Preists know exactly these things and of course do not ever mention them to their ignorant congregations.

(Andrew):  This is true.  Clergy—at least most seminary graduates—know the problems in the Bible, but are loathe to disillusion their congregations or, God forbid, make them think. 
It may be a pocketbook issue—-preachers have to make a living and people go to church for comfort and fellowship, not to have their beliefs challenged.

barefootmatthew

barefootmatthew
Total Posts:  16
Joined  12-05-2009

18 June 2009 12:03

Well and there is actually a whole cottage industry within (at least) the Catholic Church that sets theologians and biblical scholars to the task of reconciling and coming up with plausible scenarios to explain away as many of these inconsistencies as possible, and then pass this disinformation along to their congregations. I know that my father has attended many such seminars at his local church, on everything from the history of the early Catholic Church to the discovery of the “proof” of Noah’s ark. Thankfully we have the Scripture Project here to enable men and women of reason to remind people of these contradictions.