1 2 3 > 

Films to see

teeps23

teeps23
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-07-2009

07 July 2009 16:42

I am a movie freak.  A 100% balls-out cinema psychopath.  I plan on going into the film business after high school, and I hope my movies make a lasting mark on those who see them. 
    The movies i enjoy most are those that make you think, films that evoke emotions you didn’t see coming, and send your expectations flying out of the theatre.  Conflict films, where two sides are combating for the win, are ones I find particularly interesting.  Courtroom dramas, such as ‘12 Angry Men’ is a great example.  However, films dealing with material mostly untouched by cinema through out the years, such as science vs religion, are films I feel have the greatest impact.  Here are a few movies I believe everyone should see…...

Contact (1997)  Based on the novel by Carl Sagan, this film is absolutely phenomenal.  If you’re eyes have not yet been graced by this wonderful piece of art, then I am sorry

Signs (2002)  One of my all-time favorites, director M. Night Shyamalan tops all his previous films with this one.  I cannot truly describe it in words what happens in this film, but I can assure anyone who is interested in watching it that they will be very glad that they did.

Inherit the Wind (1960)  This courtroom masterpiece focuses on the evolution/creationism debate, and is very powerful.  It’s an oldie, but I found it to be one of the best films i’ve seen

Now I know I did not explain exactly how in each of these films religion and science interact and play out, because I want those who watch them to see for themselves.  What did you pull from each film?  That is what my post is for.  Watch these movies and relay what you think.  I will share my interpretations with anyone willing to listen.  I am not religious, but i am not an atheist. While I do not believe in God, quoting Carl Sagan, “An atheist would have to know alot more than I do”  I am simply an extremely skeptical agnostic

b00ger

b00ger
Total Posts:  360
Joined  22-05-2009

07 July 2009 19:42

Contact - Relatively good movie with big let down for and ending.

All of M. Night Shyamalan’s movies - only good the first time (and if you don’t know the twist ending). Should stick to directing and let other people write.

Try watching more Coen Brothers. And stay away from Michael Bay.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16399
Joined  17-12-2006

07 July 2009 20:57

Coen brothers, definitely.  From Science Fiction genera, Starship Troopers, V for Vendetta.  You’d also benefit from browsing the foreign film sections in good video stores.  If you can find it, Meetings With Remarkable Men (perhaps the only film in the Afghanistan section of the foreign film area) is worth while.  A recent film out that is excellent is Bab’Aziz, which can be ordered from Amazon.

Rob P

Rob P
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-05-2009

08 July 2009 00:42

Everyone should see The Wrestler. Actually, Darren Aronofsky’s movies Pi and Requiem for a Dream are really great as well.

I’m a big David Cronenberg fan as well, and anyone who didn’t see Eastern Promises should really check it out. It got overshadowed by all the other great movies in 2007, but it’s nearly as good as There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men. Same goes for Zodiac.

b00ger

b00ger
Joined  22-05-2009

08 July 2009 13:00

Just watched Home last night.

A really nice documentary on the history of the earth and the effects of climate change narrated by Glenn Close. Just follow the YouTube link above. Make sure to turn on the HD if you have high speed. Really beautiful and compelling scenes.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

08 July 2009 13:21

Contact is one of my favorite movies and also one of my favorite novels. It was an excellent translation of the book to film. On the one hand it screwed up the Palmer Joss character, but on the other hand I think it may have also been a good translation—not true to the character, but given the medium and the time allowed I think they had to pretty much abandon the original character and what made the relationship so interesting in the book.

Byron

virtual~mary

virtual~mary
Total Posts:  34
Joined  07-05-2009

08 July 2009 16:42

SkepticX - 08 July 2009 11:21 AM

Contact is one of my favorite movies and also one of my favorite novels.

mine as well. the book is better, though i agree the movie did not disappoint in the way so many book to film translations do.

i recently found a vintage time magazine i managed to hold on to through my various moves because it has a sexy sagan on the cover (article too).

teeps23

teeps23
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-07-2009

10 July 2009 20:32

Great feeback!  For one, I love the Coen brothers’ films.  Fargo is in my mind a masterpiece, same for No Country. 
& Starship Troopers is a classic.  Michael Bay is terrible.  I just watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, and I understand now why it won so many awards.  What a wonderful film.  Every shot is it’s own little work of art.  Has anyone else seen slumdog?

Mathemagician

Mathemagician
Total Posts:  49
Joined  28-12-2008

11 July 2009 18:05

I have not seen Slumdog M. yet, but I do plan to.

I liked Contact too.  Another sci-fi movie that I liked was Enemy Mine.  I thought and still think it portrays and confronts prejudice very well.

I like anime a lot.  I recommend Princess Monoke to anyone.  (and many other titles)

domjoel

domjoel
Total Posts:  2
Joined  13-07-2009

13 July 2009 09:11

Now that I’ve read good feedback about Contact. I think I am going to watch it. I don’t want to waste my time and money on some flop movies.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8308
Joined  15-02-2007

13 July 2009 13:00

teeps23 - 07 July 2009 02:42 PM

Signs (2002)  One of my all-time favorites, director M. Night Shyamalan tops all his previous films with this one.  I cannot truly describe it in words what happens in this film, but I can assure anyone who is interested in watching it that they will be very glad that they did.

Apart from Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, I’ve found the rest of Shyamalan’s efforts to be sophomoric and lacking in polish.
Mostly overhyped.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

13 July 2009 13:29

teeps23 - 10 July 2009 06:32 PM

Great feeback!  For one, I love the Coen brothers’ films.  Fargo is in my mind a masterpiece, same for No Country. 
& Starship Troopers is a classic.  Michael Bay is terrible.  I just watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, and I understand now why it won so many awards.  What a wonderful film.  Every shot is it’s own little work of art.  Has anyone else seen slumdog?

Slumdog Millionaire deserved all that it got! I loved Starship Troopers even if it didn’t follow the book. BTW they made 2 more straight to DVD, they are B movies but OK, Rico returns in part 3 along with Jolene Blalock from Enterprise.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8308
Joined  15-02-2007

13 July 2009 13:40

I really enjoyed “Defiance” with Daniel Craig and Leiv Schreiber.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

13 July 2009 13:42

Jefe - 13 July 2009 11:40 AM

I really enjoyed “Defiance” with Daniel Craig and Leiv Schreiber.

Yes, that was pretty good.

b00ger

b00ger
Joined  22-05-2009

15 July 2009 14:59

Looks like PZ Myers agrees with me on M. Night Shyamalan movies. Finally somebody with some movie sense.

“...like an M. Night Shyamalan movie — if you’re told what the little twist is before you go to see it, all you’ve got left is a rather slow moving, boring story that is plodding tediously towards the big reveal.”

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 July 2009 15:02

b00ger - 15 July 2009 12:59 PM

Looks like PZ Myers agrees with me on M. Night Shyamalan movies. Finally somebody with some movie sense.

“...like an M. Night Shyamalan movie — if you’re told what the little twist is before you go to see it, all you’ve got left is a rather slow moving, boring story that is plodding tediously towards the big reveal.”

I agree with you other then the Sixth Sense.

1 2 3 >