So I just went to my local public library branch…

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

17 July 2009 13:00

I was looking for a Richard Dawkins book, it was a mistake. I went in there, and I walked over to the “Staff Picks”, staff picks only had one section, which was Christian Fiction, which is odd because I thought it was all fiction. Anyways I looked around, and it seems this town is so saturated with religion that anti-religion books simply don’t exist in the libraries. Looks like I’ll have to spring for it or find another library that has it. Man I hate living in the south.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

17 July 2009 13:19

Wow ... it’s nice living in a university town!

I guarantee you that at the Athens Clarke Public Library I’d find every tome we talk about in here as one that slips religion the big one. I rarely use the public library though, since I work at the UGA Science Library (and of course have all the access I could want to the Main and other libraries on campus).

Byron

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

17 July 2009 15:01

There are still libraries? I thought the internet put them all out of business.

heromuseum

heromuseum
Total Posts:  7
Joined  29-06-2009

17 July 2009 15:26

I work at a library as well. We “carry,” all the Dawkins books, unortunately most of them show as unavailable, which means they’ve been stolen or lost. I wonder if they are being taken by people who love the books or people who don’t want others to read them.

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

17 July 2009 18:31

Sloan - 17 July 2009 01:26 PM

I work at a library as well. We “carry,” all the Dawkins books, unortunately most of them show as unavailable, which means they’ve been stolen or lost. I wonder if they are being taken by people who love the books or people who don’t want others to read them.

Probably the latter. Nothing like a good old-fashioned book burning. Nothing says faith like the destruction of legitimate knowledge.