Zeitgeist, the movie

b00ger

b00ger
Total Posts:  360
Joined  22-05-2009

30 July 2009 13:40

Has anyone else watched either of these? http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

I was just wondering if anyone had any input on the truth of some of the movies claims. Coming from a economist/financial background, I can tell that some of the claims they make, (particularly regarding income tax) are pure fabrication. I was wondering if anyone could comment on some of the religious and 9/11 claims.

As an aside, these movies are a good watch, whether or not everything is true in them. They really make you think about some of the issues.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5562
Joined  28-05-2009

31 July 2009 23:23

I got halfway through and turned it off. Anything that sloppily produced isn’t worth the time. There is plenty of documentary material on these subjects that is responsible, researched and cited.

Thanks but no thanks.

Michael

Michael
Total Posts:  29
Joined  12-05-2009

01 August 2009 10:44

zeitgeist, loose change, and the like, are all garbage…

Rob P

Rob P
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-05-2009

01 August 2009 23:51

Zeitgeist is always good for a laugh. It’s like the Plan 9 From Outer Space of documentaries. The people producing/supporting these are complete Ron Paul votin’, Alex Jones-listenin’, 9/11-was-a-hoax-believin’, nutjobs. They think that everything wrong with the world is due to a vast conspiracy of Zionist bankers and businessmen who control everything (or something like that), and that, bizarrely, the only solution to this is laissez-faire capitalism. Funny stuff, if only it weren’t so popular.

In fact, this whole “New World Order” movement on the web is pretty disturbing. It’s amazing how easily fairly smart people can be duped if what they’re being told supports their ideological bent. I mean, Zeitgeist isn’t the worst I’ve seen, but the stuff its supporters say and believe is pretty damn flabbergasting. The parallels between these people and religious fundamentalists are pretty interesting.

Quanta

Quanta
Total Posts:  13
Joined  30-05-2009

02 August 2009 10:37

Zeitgeist was interesting at first, with the religious discussion and all. Then, about half-way through, it did a complete 180 and started ranting about bankers and 9/11, leaving me thinking “Is this even the same film?” Nice way to stay on-message.

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

02 August 2009 22:26

Ron Paul votin’, Alex Jones-listenin’, 9/11-was-a-hoax-believin’, nutjobs.

LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL

Best Yosemite Sam style insult EVER!!!!

fabrulana

fabrulana
Total Posts:  46
Joined  04-07-2008

03 August 2009 07:34

I enjoyed it especially the religious part. The stuff on the religions whose messiahs correlate to Christ I at least know is correct and although not new news it was well presented, I Think. The part on the death and resurrection of the “sun of god” is pretty interesting although speculation. The financial thing was also interesting but as said by previous posters kinda weird in conjunction with what they started with. The 9/11 I didn’t bother much with as I don’t have an interest and find it pretty far fetched. Maybe they should have made 3 seperate short movies rather… I think it is worth watching just for the religious part at least.

b00ger

b00ger
Joined  22-05-2009

03 August 2009 10:48

If you watch the addendum (the second movie), it focuses on the banking and financial system solely. I read that the maker of the movie has recently changed his mind about 9/11. Apparently the Zeitgeist movement as a branch of the Venus Project. These guys are so far out there that I don’t even think there is a label for them. (Libertarian in no way encompasses what these guys are about). They support the abolition of the monetary system and harbor some kind of futuristic utopian idea of society. I actually found the site quite interesting, albeit a little off-kilter. I guess it never hurts to dream.

Rob P

Rob P
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-05-2009

05 August 2009 21:38

That site’s interesting, but their plan doesn’t really make sense to me. I don’t see how you can abolish “money.” Monetary systems are just a way of trading something for goods. As long as there are goods to be acquired, the abstract of money still remains in one form or another. Getting rid of the current currency won’t change that.

I just have a basic grasp of economics though. Any econ buffs wanna weigh in in case I’m way off base with this?

b00ger

b00ger
Joined  22-05-2009

06 August 2009 12:47

Rob, I started writing about the monetary system, but it was turning into a whole economics lesson.

For a brief primer on how money is generated in a fractional reserve banking system (basically out of thin air) refer to the first 10 or so pages in this report.

Modern Money Mechanics

Eli Vieira

Eli Vieira
Total Posts:  4
Joined  17-06-2009

14 August 2009 03:15

It is quite concerning how many people in the atheist community bought that stuff, though to my experience these people tended to be teenagers who would swallow anything that tangentially resembles some hopeful revolution in the world.

I remember a scene in Zeitgeist that impressed me for its sheer quackiness: they would show an astrological circle, a drawing in which earth was featured revolving around the sun, and the cross in the middle of the sun would turn out to be the cross of Christ.

How come people would take seriously such ridiculous far-fetched argument trying to trace the myth of Jesus to astrology?

I told one Zeitgeist believer that in ancient times astrology was ‘science’. Mathematics was just another name for astrology. If myths came from inventions concocted at the minds of ignorant people, why would they take such a leap to invent them, studying the high-level “Mathematics” of the time?

After watching this I didn’t bother to watch the “Addendum”. No more bullshit for me from the same guy (I have plenty of people to attend to be aware what kind of bullshit they believe, so, a bit from many people is better than a lot from the same).

About economics, I am an ignoramus in economics, but the things you people said about money coming out of thin air makes me remember a fact in Brazilian History.

There was once a Brazilian intellectual called Ruy Barbosa, who is still mentioned a lot among learned people here. He was a polyglot who would impress people around the world for being a true scholar coming from such a place (talk about prejudice…). He was called by one of the first presidents in the country, after the new republic was proclaimed against the old monarchy inherited from the Portuguese, to take care of the country’s money.

He started printing currency without gold to back it up. So, the great scholar turned out to be a true moron when the issue was economics.

Lesson: belief in authority per se is never a good idea.

omnistpriest

omnistpriest
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-10-2009

11 October 2009 04:52

Zeitgeist Addendum is sort of a correction of the first film.

The director learned much about the failings of monetary economics during his research for the second film.

He has completely disregarded relevance of the subject of religion and focuses only on the development of post-monetary economics.