Israeli version of the “Reason Project”

Daat Emet

Daat Emet
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-09-2009

03 October 2009 06:45

It was set up by secular jews (and former rabbis) who want to fight abuse of kids by rabbis, as ultra-Orthodox schools who don’t teach science or any “secular” knowledge at all are expected to increase dramatically in the next few years.

You can view the site here:
http://www.daatemet.org.il/?LANG=en

They have experts who study scriptures and research into it in order to erode the influence of dogmatism and superstition, and cure dogmatism by knowledge. As you can see in the “Daily Pilpul” they have an error in the scriptures per a day which you might be able to add to the “reason project”.  they also show that there are a few versions of the hebrew bible and it’s impossible to ignore the errors(they even show missing letters in dogmatic “divine”  teachings).

It might be possible to use their database for all sorts of stuff, or have the “The Reason Project Advisory Board” comment on their works like other people have done(as you can see in the website).

What do you think? Will it be useful? smile

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

03 October 2009 09:17

I’ll look some more, but it seems a great resource!  Thanks for posting.

Daat Emet

Daat Emet
Joined  07-09-2009

03 October 2009 10:49

Well, they have a Q&A, a section on ethics and they even published a book. their chairman was arrested for blasphemy while holding a lecture and charged in court(the judge was religious) and lost, the “press” section details some of their struggles with jewish fundamentalism.

As youv’ve seen, they have a great resource, but it would be quite helpful if they get some recommendation from members of the advisory board because it took them quite some time to work on it.

As for Judaism in general, you should open a new topic about recruitment of secular jews for help in the reason project. judaism as a religion should be refuted, and the dogmatic teachings of the jewish religious law(Halacha) should be put in a huge coffin. smile

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5137
Joined  28-05-2009

25 October 2009 19:23

There is quite literally nowhere else on the planet where this is more necessary right now. I want to support this in any way I can.

JenniferOverington

JenniferOverington
Total Posts:  536
Joined  25-09-2009

29 October 2009 16:40

I’m glad this is happening, and also anticipate constructive Jewish values are kept alive in our world. Some of my teachers, rationalists all, are Jewish, have good life values and contribute very much to their communities.

As mentioned elsewhere, it seems as though harm done in the name of a religion is done by an irrational, extreme, greedy minority group who is grasping at litany as at straws, thus raising again the question of whether benign faith may be unintentionally more harmful than previously observed.

Jennifer

Daat Emet

Daat Emet
Joined  07-09-2009

31 October 2009 11:59

Brick Bungalow:
We are a very small organization now and we’re dealing against a massive system of religious preaching an coercion(they are building an infrastructure for a state based on the Jewish dogma - Halacha .It’s a threat on the entire world because in state based on the Jewish dogma fundamentalist Jews(orthodox ones) might bring world war 3 or a civil war among us.
We need everyone’s support, that’s why i said we should first get the Advisory Board to comment on the site and join the “Our Supporters” section of the site.

JenniferOverington:
We have many things to learn and many customs we should keep from judaism, history, culture, some of the values, but the main thing thing we should discard is faith.
It’s a minority, but they are very fundamentalist as you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQqOxprjEHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJPRT069D9w

They were rioting just a month, and they are going to keep doing so until someone stops this insanity and speak out against this and not “respect their beliefs”.

JenniferOverington

JenniferOverington
Joined  25-09-2009

01 November 2009 04:01

Hi Daat,

Thank you cheese for the information.

Daat Emet - 31 October 2009 10:59 AM

...but the main thing thing we should discard is faith.

Blind faith, propaganda and outright lies are some of what will be discarded.

Reasons to ban black clothes from beaches, public walkways, restaurants and so forth:

1. They look weird. Fitting in is part of what there is for everyone to do.

2. They look like they’re uncomfortable in the hot sun.

3. They remind me of when Quakers used to look like the guy on Quaker Oats, back when Shakers used to exist.

4. They look weird. I’m allowed to reiterate, right?

5. Kosher toilet paper? No way. Kosher pet food? Extremely unlikely (ie: I don’t know enough about these circumstances to be able to say no way).

6. Accepting any religious totalitarian state on Earth? Absolutely not.

7. Accepting any mass population forced by law to purchase overpriced goods allegedly for religious reasons? Absolutely not.

8. Accepting any mass population forced by law to purchase overpriced goods allegedly for any reasons or for absence of reason? Absolutely not.

9. Accepting any mass population forced by captivity within their nation and circumstances (eg: “the economy”) to purchase overpriced goods? Absolutely not. Subjecting mass populations to forced, invented inflation is a war crime.

All the best to you and yours,
Jennifer

Daat Emet

Daat Emet
Joined  07-09-2009

04 November 2009 18:38

The situation is too critical right now, we don’t have the upper hand in order to have that ban. they have established themselves well up until now(with the help of the taxpayers).

JenniferOverington

JenniferOverington
Joined  25-09-2009

05 November 2009 20:20

Daat Emet - 04 November 2009 05:38 PM

The situation is too critical right now, we don’t have the upper hand in order to have that ban. they have established themselves well up until now(with the help of the taxpayers).

Wealth via taxation is never well-established whereas wealth via productivity and positive contribution is well-established and when necessary mobile.

Daat Emet

Daat Emet
Joined  07-09-2009

11 November 2009 00:51

They don’t care about that, they are fundamentalist Jews. They want to push for an actual theocracy based on rabbinical rulings, and they belong to most extreme sects of Judaism.

We are the last frontier between freethought and outright religious fundamentalism, and as Brick Bungalow said, it’s utterly important since the US State Department report says this:
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1126614.html