‹ First  < 2 3 4

Elements of animism in the Jewish Bible

Daniel O. McClellan

Daniel O. McClellan
Total Posts:  174
Joined  27-08-2009

30 December 2009 20:33

GAD - 30 December 2009 07:14 PM

Didn’t the paper say that polytheism is the most common definition, even among mainstream scholars, and then argue for a better term, even over your preferred term which was implied to also be a minority view?

No, it does not say that. It states that many see in Psalm 82 an intentional rhetorical appeal to Israel’s polytheistic origins, but this makes no reference to the actual theology of the authors. The only consensus the paper mentions is the following:

The data apparently informs us that Israelite religion evolved from polytheism to henotheistic monolatry to monotheism. While this viewpoint dominates scholarly discussion of Israelite religion, the question ought to be asked whether it is lucid.

It concludes that rather than worry about Yahweh’s relationship to other gods, we should be worrying about his nature in comparison to other deities:

“Henotheism” and “monolatry,” while perhaps better, are inadequate because they do not say enough about what the canonical writer believed. Israel was certainly “monolatrous,” but that term comments only on what Israel believed about the proper object of worship, not what it believed about Yahweh’s nature and attributes with respect to the other gods.

Note that Heiser points out “Israel was certainly ‘monolatrous.’”

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

31 December 2009 15:58

Disagreements aside, I want to thank all the authors on this thread for opening my eyes to the diversity within early Judaism.  I’d known from my earlier readings that the NT was compiled to give legitimacy to one among many versions of early Christianity.  Somehow, I’d never transferred this idea to the OT as well.  (She can be taught!)

Another book I read recently also helped in this process.  It was “The First Messiah—Investigating the Savior Before Jesus” by Michael O. Wise.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

31 December 2009 16:16

hannahfriend - 31 December 2009 02:58 PM

Disagreements aside, I want to thank all the authors on this thread for opening my eyes to the diversity within early Judaism.  I’d known from my earlier readings that the NT was compiled to give legitimacy to one among many versions of early Christianity.  Somehow, I’d never transferred this idea to the OT as well.  (She can be taught!)

Another book I read recently also helped in this process.  It was “The First Messiah—Investigating the Savior Before Jesus” by Michael O. Wise.

If you have the time the link Daniel provided is an interesting read as it points out the Jewish pantheon and how God divided the world among the other gods he created.

http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/MonotheismProblem.pdf

‹ First  < 2 3 4