1 2 3 >  Last ›

THE JOY OF ATHEISM

Daniel Curzon

Daniel Curzon
Total Posts:  6
Joined  14-05-2009

12 January 2010 21:39

I have written a new book called THE JOY OF ATHEISM, a comic commentary on all things religious, meant to help defend yourself against religious bullies. Can anyone suggest a likely publisher for this 208-page, alphabetically arranged non-fiction book that covers everything (almost) from Adam to Yahweh. (I am widely published.)

Aaron

Aaron
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  04-12-2006

13 January 2010 02:01

Daniel Curzon - 12 January 2010 08:39 PM

I have written a new book called THE JOY OF ATHEISM, a comic commentary on all things religious, meant to help defend yourself against religious bullies. Can anyone suggest a likely publisher for this 208-page, alphabetically arranged non-fiction book that covers everything (almost) from Adam to Yahweh. (I am widely published.)

Hi, Daniel.

I know nothing about publishing, but I own two fun books—The Quotable Atheist and The Atheist’s Bible—published respectively by Nation Books (an imprint of Avalon Publishing Group, Inc., NY, NY) and HarperCollins.

Good luck, and I hope to be able to read your book. Is it available, at least in part, online anywhere?

Daniel Curzon

Daniel Curzon
Joined  14-05-2009

13 January 2010 05:42

Aaron,
Thanks for the heads up on those books. I have not put anything online except “The Wedding Feast: A Lost Parable of Jesus” on Fictionaut, to show how parables can go anyway the author wants.
Here is a sample definition from THE JOY OF ATHEISM:

Adam and Eve . . . Said by the Holy Bible, no less, to be the first human beings, one

male and one female, from whose loins sprang the rest of the human race. This tale goes

a long way to explain most subsequent human history since incestuous inbreeding is a

known contributor to mental retardation and other health issues. Although unacknow-

ledged by the faithful, a close reading shows that either Adam “begat” with his own

daughters, or Eve “begat” with her sons, or the children of Adam and Eve “begat” with

each other. While the exact location of the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve and

their brood carried on, is unknown, it was most likely somewhere near the Appalachian

region of the USA. (Oh, shut up! You hillbillies are so oppressed!)

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

13 January 2010 11:47

LOL Sounds like you’re really trying to piss off the bible belt.

Daniel Curzon

Daniel Curzon
Joined  14-05-2009

13 January 2010 14:26

Huckabilly and his ilk think they have all the answers, but their answers are ignorant.

Rigamortus

Rigamortus
Total Posts:  162
Joined  15-01-2010

16 January 2010 06:03

One publisher that springs to mind (which I haven’t had time to really research) is…

Prometheus Books
59 John Glenn Drive
Amherst NY 14228-2197
Tel: +1 800 421-0351 / +1 716 691-0133
Fax: +1 716 691-0137
E-Mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Web: http://www.prometheusbooks.com

Of course, if you’re looking for some insider publisher info, I can’t help you at all, sorry.  downer

Good luck,

Rig

[ Edited: 16 January 2010 15:02 by Rigamortus]

Daniel Curzon

Daniel Curzon
Joined  14-05-2009

18 January 2010 20:25

Thank you for all the info, Rig.

chowbok

chowbok
Total Posts:  22
Joined  11-01-2010

20 February 2010 20:16

Daniel Curzon - 13 January 2010 04:42 AM

Adam and Eve . . . Said by the Holy Bible, no less, to be the first human beings, one

male and one female, from whose loins sprang the rest of the human race. This tale goes

a long way to explain most subsequent human history since incestuous inbreeding is a

known contributor to mental retardation and other health issues. Although unacknow-

ledged by the faithful, a close reading shows that either Adam “begat” with his own

daughters, or Eve “begat” with her sons, or the children of Adam and Eve “begat” with

each other. While the exact location of the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve and

their brood carried on, is unknown, it was most likely somewhere near the Appalachian

region of the USA. (Oh, shut up! You hillbillies are so oppressed!)

Daniel, it sounds like you need to employ a “Holy Ghost Writer” to help you, because you are just not that funny.

Simple comedic parlance to hide your own ignorance will never fulfill you. 

In time, Christ’s victory over you will come from within His Sacred Heart.  It will be personal and tailored especially to suit you; your sins absolved and your heart and head made whole, and His peace will calm and sooth your wayward energy.  Just relax and melt into His Glory like chocolate into ice-cream; delicious, smooth and luxurious. 

Don’t get sidetracked, don’t get confused.  Simply allow yourself to be absorbed.  God made us in His Own image so this implies that He has a great sense of humor – toes and bellybuttons – who would have thought it?

Your excerpt above is not funny because it is intended to insult and injure.  If you want to find true comedy find God, because, as in all things, He is there.

Daniel Curzon

Daniel Curzon
Joined  14-05-2009

20 February 2010 20:47

Chowbok, you are far funnier than I am. You are hilarious. God made us in His image? That is why human beings are so full of shit.

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

20 February 2010 21:53

Daniel Curzon - 20 February 2010 07:47 PM

Chowbok, you are far funnier than I am. You are hilarious. God made us in His image? That is why human beings are so full of shit.

LOL He must have created us in the image of the Old Testament god though, which explains why so many people are jealous, vindictive, violent, arrogant, and controlling.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

21 February 2010 00:31

W. Collins - 20 February 2010 08:53 PM
Daniel Curzon - 20 February 2010 07:47 PM

LOL He must have created us in the image of the Old Testament god though, which explains why so many people are jealous, vindictive, violent, arrogant, and controlling.

I always wondered if god has a cock and balls, what are they for, getting his self off? What about milk-less tits? And if god has an asshole where does he shit? Is that where the universe came from, cause that would splain some things.

chowbok

chowbok
Joined  11-01-2010

21 February 2010 03:01

God demands a Love born out of humility; service to your fellow man.

Why do you fear Him?  He Loves You.

Attempting to belittle me changes nothing.  And think how pitiful your insults at God sound to God (you are nothing more than a child throwing pebbles).  They (your insults) change nothing – He Loves you still.

Yield friend, yield.

[ Edited: 21 February 2010 03:34 by chowbok]

Rigamortus

Rigamortus
Joined  15-01-2010

21 February 2010 03:06

chowbok - 21 February 2010 02:01 AM

God demands a Love born out of humility; service to your fellow man.

Why do you fear Him?  He Loves You.

Attempting to belittle me changes nothing.  And think pitiful your insults at God sound to God (you are nothing more than a child throwing pebbles).  They (your insults) change nothing – He Loves you still.

Yield friend, yield.

I call troll.

chowbok

chowbok
Joined  11-01-2010

21 February 2010 03:44

Rigamortus - 21 February 2010 02:06 AM

I call troll.

Really?  But, before you go on the attack, let me remind you…

”...[this] foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world…”

It’s a slippery slope once you get started.  Cyber-Bullying just won’t work on me.  But if you must, you must.  Go on then – give me your best.  Just remember, cyber-bullying reflects poorly on Sam Harris and this society’s values.

Go on – do your worst.

Rigamortus

Rigamortus
Joined  15-01-2010

21 February 2010 04:36

chowbok - 21 February 2010 02:44 AM
Rigamortus - 21 February 2010 02:06 AM

I call troll.

Really?  But, before you go on the attack, let me remind you…

”...[this] foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world…”

It’s a slippery slope once you get started.  Cyber-Bullying just won’t work on me.  But if you must, you must.  Go on then – give me your best.  Just remember, cyber-bullying reflects poorly on Sam Harris and this society’s values.

Go on – do your worst.

I’m not attacking.

I’m not on any kind of slope. 

I’m not bullying. 

I’m not giving you my best or my worst. 

I’m just stating that I think you’re simply trolling for responses. 

If you’re not a troll, then I have even less to say to you.  A troll I can converse with, where I don’t even have a starting point with someone who actually believes “Christ’s victory over you will come from within His Sacred Heart” or “Just relax and melt into His Glory like chocolate into ice-cream; delicious, smooth and luxurious” and claims to have any idea what either of those actually mean.

In any case, I’m done with you.  If you don’t understand why, then I’m even more done with you.

-Rig

[ Edited: 21 February 2010 04:39 by Rigamortus]

chowbok

chowbok
Joined  11-01-2010

21 February 2010 13:58

Rigamortus - 21 February 2010 03:36 AM

I’m not attacking.

I’m not on any kind of slope. 

I’m not bullying. 

I’m not giving you my best or my worst. 

I’m just stating that I think you’re simply trolling for responses. 

If you’re not a troll, then I have even less to say to you.  A troll I can converse with, where I don’t even have a starting point with someone who actually believes “Christ’s victory over you will come from within His Sacred Heart” or “Just relax and melt into His Glory like chocolate into ice-cream; delicious, smooth and luxurious” and claims to have any idea what either of those actually mean.

In any case, I’m done with you.  If you don’t understand why, then I’m even more done with you.

-Rig

Thank goodness then!

Let’s get back the subject of Daniel’s book.

If you want to write humor it should be funny for funny sake.

Remember Daniel’s book is called “The Joy of Atheism,” so the above excerpt would imply that part of the joy an Atheist gets out of life is ridiculing Christians; in particular, those Christians least equipped to fight back.  Daniel makes an assumption in his excerpt that all people from Appalachia are Christian.  Perhaps they are perhaps they are not, I don’t know.  Daniel should source his material.  The one true thing about the people of Appalachia is that they are some of the poorest people on earth, many homes do not have indoor plumbing, and the only hot meals children get are through federal and State funded “hot school meal” programs.  Insulting the poorest of the poor is just not funny especially if you are writing a book on Atheism. 

Are you so mean-spirited that you need to categorize other socioeconomic groups as a sub species?  Much like Nazi Germany did with the European Jews. 

Do you really need to portray Christians as inbreed idiots to give credence to your own non-faith?  Is that what Atheism is?  An emptiness that breeds hatred for others because, let’s face it, why stop at hating just the religious – why not everybody who does not think like you.

Is this Sam Harris’ goal?  I don’t think so.  Harris, much like the other sorry ilk (Dawkins especially) who paint themselves as martyrs to the cause of Reason and Science are really no better than the snake-oil sales man of old.  They, my friend, are in it for the money. 

If, for instance, you were a Christian you would know that the majority of Christians do believe in Science and actually have no problem with concepts like evolution.  People like Harris and Dawkins have built a successful livelihood on the very tiny, but vocal minority of Christians, that don’t believe in most scientific concepts; which are born, not out of the Bible, but more out of a lack of access to good education – and yes – Appalachia is just one good example, but that is no good reason for ridicule.

As for the real joy in atheism; it will depend on how tightly you strengthen your heart against the universe about you.  It will be up to each and every atheist to find his own way; solitary and alone, the tragic figure in a tragic play, proud and independent—mindful of the world and wary of God.  Ah, what a fine upstanding conceptual being he will become; adrift in a universe full of wonders and yet, failing to see it.  And that’s not funny either.

[ Edited: 21 February 2010 14:04 by chowbok]

1 2 3 >  Last ›