< 1 2

Identity of posters

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

03 March 2010 15:47

BRF

Sounds like you lucked out.  We once, years ago, lost power for 20 hours in northern Wisconsin when it was about 0 degrees.  Two fireplaces could not do it, finally abandoned ship for a distant town.  Not a lot of fun.  After that experience installed a generator.

Dennis

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5614
Joined  05-04-2006

03 March 2010 16:02

Dennis Campbell - 03 March 2010 02:47 PM

BRF

Sounds like you lucked out.  We once, years ago, lost power for 20 hours in northern Wisconsin when it was about 0 degrees.  Two fireplaces could not do it, finally abandoned ship for a distant town.  Not a lot of fun.  After that experience installed a generator.

Dennis

We did luck out.  The worst I’ve ever had it as an adult was Oct. 1997 back in Lincoln—got hit by a heavy snow while there were still plenty of leaves on the trees (it had been a mild fall).  This was a wet, heavy snow (it wasn’t a “storm” really—I walked home from work that night and except for having to walk through unshoveled snowdrifts it was actually a pleasant evening) which stuck to the leaves and trees started falling all over the city.  Thousands of trees.  Streets blocked, parked cars smashed, and of course power lines damaged.  We were without power of any kind for 4 days, and we were far from the last people to have power restored—tens of thousands of people in Omaha were without power for a full week, if I remember correctly.  There were many sidestreets in our neighborhood still blocked two weeks later. 

And the weird thing was, it wasn’t a blizzard or an ice storm or anything like that.  Just an unseasonably early snow storm.

< 1 2