Vatican Justice - A possibility for a coalition?

Jeffrey Till

Jeffrey Till
Total Posts:  1
Joined  24-06-2009

12 May 2010 11:27

Having read Sam Harris’ call to arms for Vatican Justice, I wonder if this would be a good place to recruit other groups, especially religious moderates (fully understanding their role in all of this) and even principled, well-intenioned Catholic groups themselves, and other groups such IJ or political groups (civil rights types) to rally against this injustice.

My sense of caution warns that this might be an argumentum Hitleriam (sp), at least in how it appears to Christian moderates i.e., “there goes the atheists attacking all believers because of some bad priests.”  I guess that’s why the message might be more powerful/useful if it spawns from a great base of outraged humanitarians.

ReligionofDoubt22

ReligionofDoubt22
Total Posts:  1
Joined  13-02-2010

14 June 2010 09:33

For justice to prevail it is absolutely essential for groups outside of athiesm to contribute to this cause. Thank you for suggesting this!

towtruck

towtruck
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-07-2011

29 July 2010 19:56

Totally agree, even if creating such a coalition is probably going to take a lot of time, it’s definitely worth the effort.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

30 July 2010 02:58

Daystar - 29 July 2010 06:22 PM

. . . I can tell you that legally and civilly it would be extremely difficult to unite other religious groups against one another. . . .

It seems to me that all the necessary interstitial hatred is already in place. What’s lacking is leadership.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

30 July 2010 14:57

Daystar - 30 July 2010 01:20 AM

Leadership in what sense?

I meant leadership in the casual sense. A single person, if s/he has a strong enough personality, could possibly get the ball rolling. The quickest route might be from a self-sabotaging (or seemingly so) Christian. A pope, perhaps. But it could be anyone. Okay—probably not Mel Gibson.

DanDare

DanDare
Total Posts:  35
Joined  18-05-2009

30 July 2010 22:04

Daystar - 29 July 2010 06:22 PM

As a theist who is against organized religion I can say that I see the Vatican the same as any other only they have had longer to perfect it. The kind of crimes they perpetuate can be found in the Jehovah’s Witnesses or any other. I can tell you that legally and civilly it would be extremely difficult to unite other religious groups against one another for not only this reason but also because one victory (or defeat) reverberates among all. If the Jehovah’s Witnesses win a legal case for religious freedom in one country the Catholics can take advantage of it as well or the other way around. If one group is persecuted or held accountable so will the others be. Plus it looks bad as well if they don’t all pretend to get along.

Aye, there is the rub. Secularism is meant to treat all religions the same and guarantee religious freedom. That’s fine if everyone is religious, but some of us are not. We see religion being given too much ground with special privileges before the law and tax breaks and what have you. The religious groups are united in this respect, wanting to keep the perks, and so they won’t support “perk endangering actions”, to coin a phrase.

An example here in Australia. Independent Nick Xenophon has tried to get enquiries into Scientology off the ground, and has attempted to get the Catholics to help. Unfortunately the enquiry is about tax rorts as much as anything else and the church won’t touch it.

Xenophon - Scientology is Criminal