Advice

Heathenihilist7

Heathenihilist7
Total Posts:  11
Joined  14-02-2010

06 July 2010 18:36

Ok i got a problem with my family…My dad a pious devout baptist christian who just recently this year began going religiously fanatic once my grandpa died….He is now a deacon of the church and is constantly dragging me along with him…I always say can i skipp for this week or another….But he always gets angry and fustrated at me so i just go along…He doesnt know im an Atheist and i guess he never will it would kill him…My mom pretty much can read between the lines on my views and philosophy that im a nonbeliever (Atheist) so she harrasses me with religion nonsense and quotes and has just recently canceled my television and is only allowing me to watch religious channels… What is a guy too do!???? LOl i just wanted to free my mind on this one and get advice

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

06 July 2010 20:58

Heathenihilist7 - 06 July 2010 04:36 PM

Ok i got a problem with my family…My dad a pious devout baptist christian who just recently this year began going religiously fanatic once my grandpa died….He is now a deacon of the church and is constantly dragging me along with him…I always say can i skipp for this week or another….But he always gets angry and fustrated at me so i just go along…He doesnt know im an Atheist and i guess he never will it would kill him…My mom pretty much can read between the lines on my views and philosophy that im a nonbeliever (Atheist) so she harrasses me with religion nonsense and quotes and has just recently canceled my television and is only allowing me to watch religious channels… What is a guy too do!???? LOl i just wanted to free my mind on this one and get advice

How old are you?  If you are a teenager, it is a temporary affliction. If not, move out.

If you have to go because you are a minor, just look at it as an educational experience, and learn something about religion.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

07 July 2010 13:38

Tough situation. Try asking (nicely) lots and lots of uncomfortable questions about god while at church.

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Total Posts:  2015
Joined  10-11-2006

07 July 2010 15:38

What is a guy too do!????

Well, working on your spelling and punctuation should be high on your list.

In addition to that, I’d suggest you grow a pair and tell dear daddy that if he wants to be a Jesus squealer he is welcome to it, but that you would sooner smear fish paste on your genitals and dangle them above a pool full of hungry piranhas while listening to the extended version of ‘We didn’t start the fire’ before you accompany him to the local hovel of hysteria and inane twaddle euphemistically called ‘Church’.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5614
Joined  05-04-2006

08 July 2010 11:50

Lapin Diabolique - 07 July 2010 01:38 PM

In addition to that, I’d suggest you grow a pair and tell dear daddy that if he wants to be a Jesus squealer he is welcome to it, but that you would sooner smear fish paste on your genitals and dangle them above a pool full of hungry piranhas while listening to the extended version of ‘We didn’t start the fire’ before you accompany him to the local hovel of hysteria and inane twaddle euphemistically called ‘Church’.

This is terrible advice.  For better or worse Heathenihilist7 is a minor, these are his/her parents, and this is the home he/she needs to live in for the time being.  Also, it seems as if the parents are going through an extended period of religious hysteria, so I doubt one child is going to the win the war of who can be more hardline.  I know this may sound namby-pamby but considering that the parents seem to worked themselves into a religious hysteria, I really hesitate to encourage this young person to take actions which might push these parents into more drastic and punitive measures.

EDIT:  I just looked up some of his/her posts and realized that he/she is in high school, so perhaps Bad Rabbit isn’t so far off after all.  I was picturing a kid in his/her early teens, but if you’re closer to 18 then yeah, you need to stand your ground.

[ Edited: 08 July 2010 11:54 by bigredfutbol]

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Total Posts:  2015
Joined  10-11-2006

08 July 2010 13:11

bigredfutbol - 08 July 2010 09:50 AM

EDIT:  I just looked up some of his/her posts and realized that he/she is in high school, so perhaps Bad Rabbit isn’t so far off after all.  I was picturing a kid in his/her early teens, but if you’re closer to 18 then yeah, you need to stand your ground.

I’m glad you concur, BRF.
Of course, it is easy for us to give advice while our young friend may suffer the consequences of ruffling the pious feathers of mom and dad.

But I do think that honesty is a virtue and that most people will appreciate candor and courage, even if they happen to disagree with you.

From another perspective, I truly believe, as does our elusive host, that religion must be marginalized and that the faithful should be driven to the edge of society where they can scream at homosexuals, fondle statues of Mary and jerk off thinking about Jeebus to their hearts’ content.

Acupuncturist

Acupuncturist
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  18-05-2009

08 July 2010 13:11

Off to college!

Heathenihilist7

Heathenihilist7
Total Posts:  11
Joined  14-02-2010

08 July 2010 13:56

Yea im a minor. 16. Ok thanks for the advice you guys!

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5614
Joined  05-04-2006

08 July 2010 16:02

Lapin Diabolique - 08 July 2010 11:11 AM

I’m glad you concur, BRF.
Of course, it is easy for us to give advice while our young friend may suffer the consequences of ruffling the pious feathers of mom and dad.

But I do think that honesty is a virtue and that most people will appreciate candor and courage, even if they happen to disagree with you.

From another perspective, I truly believe, as does our elusive host, that religion must be marginalized and that the faithful should be driven to the edge of society where they can scream at homosexuals, fondle statues of Mary and jerk off thinking about Jeebus to their hearts’ content.

Good points.

david771

david771
Total Posts:  32
Joined  26-05-2011

08 July 2010 18:27

You may not be able to change your parents beliefs, but you certainly don’t have to submit to them. I mean, since they legally control you, you may have to do what they say for right now. But the second you turn 18, tell them how you really feel and let them know that the religious mumbo jumbo that has probably pervaded your family for generations, ends with you. Tell them it’s the 21st century and let them know that religion is played out and people for the most part just don’ t care about it anymore, on account of it all being made up.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

08 July 2010 18:32

Lapin Diabolique - 07 July 2010 01:38 PM

This is terrible advice.

What the hell did you expect from a demonic rabbit?