‹ First  < 74 75 76

The Forum Diary

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6034
Joined  22-02-2005

26 October 2018 12:27

nonverbal - 25 October 2018 01:13 PM

For what it’s worth, Nhoj, I don’t have it in me to attend a modern concert, in the sense that I miss the old acoustics, amps, vintage Telecaster sounds, etc. Even orchestras these days are way too digitally amped up for my 20th-Century sensibility.

I can sympathize. I don’t have it in me to attend a modern grocery store. I miss the sonic style things used to have but only when it worked right. I don’t miss the screeching, howling and piercing, or the elephant farts and untamed cymbals or the days of ear-ringing that follow. These arena-amps have no place on the modern stage. Everything comes from the PA which is technically better than a blur of waveform arrival times from stage gear. Only the players need to hear the amps. Clubs and small halls make more sense for the old guys. This one is the most iconic of them all. Some would snatch it up just to say they got a piece of the 20th century.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3014
Joined  26-03-2013

26 October 2018 16:00

It looks like a movie prop.  And I didn’t know Billy Connolly was even in THX 1138.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

08 November 2018 05:20

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

16 November 2018 06:20

Here’s another fine mess I’ve gotten myself into.

I’m doing a little redecorating including a wall-treatment that might be cool or look ridiculous. At least, I’ll finally find out which.

Before I can do that, I should finally get around to opening the wall and getting at the tiled-over wall box for the bathroom outlet from behind so I can relace it and put in a GFI outlet on its own circuit. It’s da rules.

This old house originally had a single daisy-chained circuit that traveled the inner wall spaces like Mrs. Packman. I was soon committed to rewiring the whole front side of the house. A half-dozen openings in the wall are letting the now freezing air pour in from the soffet vents as I poured every spare minute into the project. This is Day 7 where all I’m going to do is let the joint compound dry. I’ll sand and paint tomorrow. Redecorating is not for pansies.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  554
Joined  13-02-2017

16 November 2018 06:36

Nhoj Morley - 16 November 2018 06:20 AM

I’m doing a little redecorating including a wall-treatment that might be cool or look ridiculous. At least, I’ll finally find out which.

Before I can do that, I should finally get around to opening the wall and getting at the tiled-over wall box for the bathroom outlet from behind so I can relace it and put in a GFI outlet on its own circuit. It’s da rules.

This old house originally had a single daisy-chained circuit that traveled the inner wall spaces like Mrs. Packman. I was soon committed to rewiring the whole front side of the house. A half-dozen openings in the wall are letting the now freezing air pour in from the soffet vents as I poured every spare minute into the project. This is Day 7 where all I’m going to do is let the joint compound dry. I’ll sand and paint tomorrow. Redecorating is not for pansies.

No it’s not, and props for doing it yourself. 

I went through similar trials when I re-did the walls in our family and sun room on moving into our current house.  Had to replace 1970’s dark paneling with dry wall, before learning the sponge method of smoothing the compound.  Lord what a mess.  Ruined one vacuum cleaner and suffered dust for weeks as I got the work done.  Lesson learned. 

Thankfully nothing electrical had to change, though I was puzzled why the circuit in that added-on room only went off when I tripped the auxiliary 100 Amp breaker for the furnace off the main panel.  Turns out that that room was wired to a second fuse box in the furnace room that prior to that I didn’t even know was there.  For a while I thought they wired it wrong when they added on the room, and that I was going to have to redo it—until I figured out it was done right, just on a second panel.  Whew.  Much relief.

[ Edited: 16 November 2018 06:39 by TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

16 November 2018 08:03

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 16 November 2018 06:36 AM

props for doing it yourself. 

What a coincidence. I put in a sub-panel in my boiler room for the gear. Don’t count on the sponge method when the walls are really cold. I was once a tradesman pulling miles of romex, CAT-5 and coax in the auto-industry mansions of Saint Clair Shores. The Union denied my application because, as stated, I didn’t bowl.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

16 November 2018 08:51

Nhoj Morley - 16 November 2018 06:20 AM

Sounds scary.  My husband and I aren’t handy and hire-out for such work.  It’s been worrisome when electricians have shaken their heads in puzzlement at work done to our house by previous owners.  Would likely have to tear the house down and start over to have everything up to today’s codes.  We comfort ourselves with lots of smoke detectors.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

17 November 2018 07:23

A gentle sponging is often more effective than vigorously sanding the shit out of everything, kicking up dust, spreading it around, til it’s the only thing anyone can see.

Also, Unions tend to frown on scabby bastards.

The More You Know.

‹ First  < 74 75 76