< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

The Forum Diary

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6423
Joined  22-02-2005

27 October 2010 17:24

Post #447

I am late in commemorating the latest forum milestone- the Mighty Harris Bot Army is now 60,000+ strong and ready to take on:. ? I assume they are atheists. I assume they are on our side.

Thousands of people, including myself, claim to have sighted Sam Harris on the Daily Show. He and Stewart obviously respect each other but they are no Martin and Lewis. It wasn’t serious, it wasn’t funny: it was unfunny.
Since he is on tour anyway, Mr. Harris would be nuts to miss a chance to speak at the DC rally this weekend if he works on his timing first.

I sent in my t-shirt/placard slogan suggestions, “Don’t Fear Me”, “Stupid Stops Here” and “My Brain Activity is Safe”. I hope to spot one on C-SPAN.

Speaking of stupid, I’d like to draw your attention to Mr. Dennis Markuse of Montreal (I think that’s in Canada) author and host of the ongoing saga, “The Bobo Show”. Mr. Markuse has lavished his attention upon us for some time now and I think if any of us are ever out his way, we should drop by and let him know how much we appreciate his contributions.
Whilst awaiting our pending executions, I would ask Denny if there is any other agency beside the RCMP and the FBI we should be forwarding his contributions to.
“Hey, Denny! There’s a horse at the door!”

It has been an interesting last few months for me as a forum moderator. I think I still want to do this. I like having contact with the outside world even if it is just deleting bots and bobos these days. Any moderating I’ve been doing, with one exception, has been at someone’s request. I am trying to be gracious. If you have heard from me, don’t assume I’ve singled you out. If I call you over-confident, I’m not referring to your knowledge. I’m criticizing your posting style.
Even a Free-Form Man-Pants Death-Match should have some rules. I appreciate the fluffier tone some have taken on of late and I’m sure we’ll find that in no way will this dull our incisors- it will make them sharper.

Speaking of rules, we’re still sucking silence from the Forum Supremoes. I’m going to take that as a silent acquiescence. I don’t hear a no. So, soon, I will post the Forum Rules. You’ll love ‘em. Since this will in no way enhance our mod powers, it’s not like anyone has to follow them anyway.

Some signs of life have appeared at the old Harris Forum. Worth a peek now and then.
I’d be posting like a bad habit if I didn’t have 100,000 LED’s in my house. So many interesting threads:

If I had the time, I’d be digitally sculpting The Hysterical Buddha. He can’t find his keys.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

27 October 2010 17:39

Hope you hang in here.  Someone needs to make some moderating comments sometimes.

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  9231
Joined  15-06-2006

27 October 2010 17:44

Dennis Campbell - 27 October 2010 03:39 PM

Hope you hang in here.  Someone needs to make some moderating comments sometimes.

(Andrew):  Pbbbbt!!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

27 October 2010 17:51

FYI,

Did see where “Bobo” made the “hoax list” on another site that lists internet idiots.  Seems he is quite active.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

24 November 2010 18:36

Post #524

I feel that I owe everyone an explanation for my inexplicable behavior these last few weeks.

Why have I suddenly gone from forum wallflower to raging, flaming asshat who posts exhaustively about his every nosebleed? You’d think I was Ecurb.
I’m going through a thing. I’ve been frustrated and very angry about work. There is no time off. It doesn’t stop. We’re doing dumb stuff. So I stopped it and crawled into the forum and hid. From them, I mean. They don’t come here. I think:

I wanted to get the long/short essay behind me, too. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the thread. Nice party. Everyone got drunk and blessed their parents. I tried to be a good host. I still have some responses in progress.

But all this has made me slack off the Mod Business. There’s work to do.

Finish the Moderator/combatant rules
Finish the “How to use a Quote Box” sticky
Write better Bobo jokes
Read the Boss’s book

Speaking of, there have been some questions about the current Bobo policy. I had observed that if there was one bobo thread going he tended to stay off other threads. Hence, Bobo’s Playpen. Some have asked why I bother to engage the schmuck. It’s like that old Star Trek episode, “The Alternative Factor” where Lazarus A trapped himself in the inter-dimensional corridor with Lazarus B for an eternity of polarized mud wrestling in order to spare everyone the destruction of two whole universes. It’s a lot like that. I can hear Shatner’s voice: “What of Nhoj:..”

REGARDING SPAM REPORTING:..

We appreciate everyone’s extra effort in alerting us to the odd mid-thread spammer that drops by.
With just a little more effort, the report button might actually do some good. Here’s what happens:

I get an email that tells me who reported, the name of the spambot and the entirety of the post plus a link. If I click on the link, it goes to a log-in window, even if I have an open logged-in browser going already. If I log-in in that window, it goes to the main page with no clue about the spam. They can be very hard to find without a hint. Lastest Post isn’t always helpful on a busy day.

I would humbly request, whilst spam reporting, please take the “note” opportunity to mention roughly where or copy and paste the address from your browser bar. That won’t ask for a log-in. Then I’ll find them I will kill them.

And please: never, ever report a Bobo. It just isn’t necessary. I seem to have developed an uncanny bobodar.
Some days, he is too busy chopping off heads for forum foolishness. Some days, he posts more than all of you put together.

Hiya, Teuchter!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

24 November 2010 18:45

Why have I suddenly gone from forum wallflower to raging, flaming asshat who posts exhaustively about his every nosebleed?

Sorry, you have not managed to get that far; that’s what happen when a decent person lets go just a tad, they tend to overestimate their letting go.  Most of us here have far more skills being an asshat than you do.

Now, about my loose shit problem….....

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

24 November 2010 19:01

Nhoj Morley - 24 November 2010 05:36 PM

Write better Bobo jokes

(Andrew):  Please!

We appreciate everyone’s extra effort in alerting us to the odd mid-thread spammer that drops by.

(Andrew):  Actually, unless you’re bored and just want to report spam, we sweep up fairly often.  We may miss something, so if you see something that’s been up for a couple of days let us know—but other than than you can probably save yourself the effort.

Hiya, Teuchter!

(Andrew):  Ditto.  How’s the fishing?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

24 November 2010 19:08

Andrew - 24 November 2010 06:01 PM

...unless you’re bored and just want to report spam, we sweep up fairly often.  We may miss something…

We could use some help with those nasty mid-thread buggers.

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

24 November 2010 19:22

Nhoj Morley - 24 November 2010 06:08 PM

...unless you’re bored and just want to report spam, we sweep up fairly often.  We may miss something…

I’ll be sure to inform a mod when someone is trying to sell me boner pills, cataract surgery, or a cabin to rusticate in.

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

24 November 2010 19:23

Nhoj Morley - 24 November 2010 06:08 PM

(Andrew):  Yeah…if something’s there for a day or so, let us know.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

24 November 2010 19:24

I’ve only seen a few, reported same; and they’re gone.  Most of the time they’re killed before I can respond to an email.  So I decided not to try and sell….

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

24 November 2010 23:00

All forum rules and moderating aside, I just think teuchter should not be able to leave this place for very long….ever again.

Carry on.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

24 November 2010 23:52

eudemonia - 24 November 2010 10:00 PM

All forum rules and moderating aside, I just think teuchter should not be able to leave this place for very long….ever again.

Carry on.

I’ll second that. Hey teuch! Good to see you back!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

28 January 2011 06:07

Post #639

Though it is probably already obvious to everyone:.

I must announced the cancellation of the long running series, “The Bobo Show” and its spin-offs “Bobo’s Playpen” and “Denny Does Dallas”. This is due to our improvements in Forum Management and while I can’t go into detail, I can say that we hired a number of unemployed phone-bank workers and placed them in a bunker in Ultima Thule, Greenland where, safe from danger, they provide us with round the clock protection. An occasional re-run or retro-marathon may pop up from time to time, but the era of Big Bobos is over.

Just in case that leaves a gap in your forum life, be sure to check out the new posters over at the Harris Forum. Some of them wander like the Omega Man through the life-less threads and unfinished thoughts while hooded spam-bots lurk in every direction. I’ve seen Mr. X over there a lot. Drop in and say hello.

Jeff’s thread finally sputtered out at #2. I hope everyone paid off their wagers.

In the weeks ahead, I hope to re-tool the whole Brilliant Post idea. Then, Andrew and I will announce the new set-up. This time, the prize is more enticing- 90 days of sticky status. Of course, Andrew has no idea I’m even thinking about this, but we’ll sort it out. It seemed like a neat idea.

And finally, I love Mr. Zen’s new avatar. It is workplace-gorgeous. Perhaps Bob could post a 500 x 500 version as a post attachment so we can ‘zen get a better look.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

28 January 2011 13:51

Nhoj Morley - 28 January 2011 05:07 AM

Post #639

Though it is probably already obvious to everyone:.

I must announced the cancellation of the long running series, “The Bobo Show” and its spin-offs “Bobo’s Playpen” and “Denny Does Dallas”. This is due to our improvements in Forum Management and while I can’t go into detail, I can say that we hired a number of unemployed phone-bank workers and placed them in a bunker in Ultima Thule, Greenland where, safe from danger, they provide us with round the clock protection. An occasional re-run or retro-marathon may pop up from time to time, but the era of Big Bobos is over.

Just in case that leaves a gap in your forum life, be sure to check out the new posters over at the Harris Forum. Some of them wander like the Omega Man through the life-less threads and unfinished thoughts while hooded spam-bots lurk in every direction. I’ve seen Mr. X over there a lot. Drop in and say hello.

Jeff’s thread finally sputtered out at #2. I hope everyone paid off their wagers.

In the weeks ahead, I hope to re-tool the whole Brilliant Post idea. Then, Andrew and I will announce the new set-up. This time, the prize is more enticing- 90 days of sticky status. Of course, Andrew has no idea I’m even thinking about this, but we’ll sort it out. It seemed like a neat idea.

And finally, I love Mr. Zen’s new avatar. It is workplace-gorgeous. Perhaps Bob could post a 500 x 500 version as a post attachment so we can ‘zen get a better look.

Good to see you’re all getting some long needed support.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›