Shallowness Poisons Everything

MultiPolyOmni

MultiPolyOmni
Total Posts:  29
Joined  04-07-2009

09 October 2010 04:53

I would like to raise the issue of shallowness… one can be quite reasonable but one can be shallow and selective about one’s reasoning… you can describe only a section of our reality in a reasonable way…and therefore filter out much else and thus distort the truth in a more subtle way.

I think this issue should have more visibility in this Project because I feel that it would give more depth (imagine that) to the issues that this project is addressing… in fact much of what goes on in argument by “more reasonable people” against points raised by Sam Harris (for example) is often about selective shallowness.

So if this issue is raised in terms of creating an issue out of Shallowness in the pop-culture-intellectual sphere (that i assume the Project is involved with) it could be useful in combating the side which won’t sympathize with and address the issues which this Project is concerned about (for good reason i might add).

Gila Guerilla

Gila Guerilla
Total Posts:  263
Joined  03-06-2009

10 October 2010 00:30

MultiPolyOmni - 09 October 2010 02:53 AM

I would like to raise the issue of shallowness… one can be quite reasonable but one can be shallow and selective about one’s reasoning… you can describe only a section of our reality in a reasonable way…and therefore filter out much else and thus distort the truth in a more subtle way.

I think this issue should have more visibility in this Project because I feel that it would give more depth (imagine that) to the issues that this project is addressing… in fact much of what goes on in argument by “more reasonable people” against points raised by Sam Harris (for example) is often about selective shallowness.

So if this issue is raised in terms of creating an issue out of Shallowness in the pop-culture-intellectual sphere (that i assume the Project is involved with) it could be useful in combating the side which won’t sympathize with and address the issues which this Project is concerned about (for good reason i might add).

You raise nothing specific in this post, MultiPolyOmni. Can you give some specifics, for the benefit of us “shallow” ones? BTW, there’s a precautionary saying in vogue on the net: ” Don’t open your mind so much that your brains fall out”.

MultiPolyOmni

MultiPolyOmni
Total Posts:  29
Joined  04-07-2009

11 October 2010 00:34

i know it may seem like an obvious and general concept but I am specifically raising the issue of Shallowness (which I find is a pervasive mode of human psychology) because i think it is a major cause of injustice in our world in the same sense that religious ideas and religious social systems are.

The very idea of shallowness needs attention…. it is not just some descriptive word for something… it is more like Light or Gravity…. it describes an operation of psychological reality which in turn causes human events.

This Project wants reason and secularism… it is concerned with justice…. i am noticing how it gets ignored, misunderstood and even corrupted by those that might be attracted to it… Sam Harris is a rather pure person (it may have to do with his meditation)

I see a project such as this as having some hope (mainly because of someone like Sam)... do you know how rare people like him are in this world? you find similar people but they often are majorly shallow and corrupt in some way. as leader he focuses this project in a meaningful direction

to raise the issue of shallowness is to point out how people resist true reason.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

11 October 2010 06:11

I like to say there’s no such thing as over-analyzing ... just under-analyzing and analyzing to completeness.

beachland

beachland
Total Posts:  19
Joined  27-12-2012

11 October 2010 08:23

Yeah, maybe over-analyzing is just when you find meaning that’s not there… But I guess that’s just incorrectly-analyzing haha

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5291
Joined  28-05-2009

13 October 2010 03:58

Really Deep Man!

He’s really deep… man.