< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Is Buddhism Relgion?

nbhanji

nbhanji
Total Posts:  13
Joined  27-09-2012

09 December 2012 19:13

I interpet buddhism as a philosophy of living.

Charwiz

Charwiz
Total Posts:  142
Joined  11-04-2013

12 April 2013 02:37

One can be a Buddhist without Faith, and therefore a philosophy, once faith starts snaking its way in, it becomes a Religion.
Sam Harris is a Buddhist, one with out any faith but baced on Reason,  you can hear deep Buddhist undertones in most of his teaching and/or writtings.
The problem is, people will hi-jack a philosphy or take a Great Person or teacher and attempt to Deify them over time.  So the answer to the question at hand ” Is Buddhism a Religion” is yes and no. Depends on who you ask.  One allso has to remember that in Buddhism there is no belief system that is set in stone and once written can never be changed as you see in, like the Abrahamic Faith Based Religions.

Charwiz

Charwiz
Total Posts:  142
Joined  11-04-2013

12 April 2013 03:05

john76 - 06 August 2011 04:39 PM

Doesn’t karma get connected to reincarnation?

First of all Buddhist do not believe in Reincarnation they call it transformation, because Siddhārtha Gautama the Buddha did not believe we have souls and also believed that nothing last forever. So he called it a transformation.  Think of it like this, are you the same being when you were born,  all the atoms in your body are completely different. In fact according to Buddha you are not the same you, you were one moment ago. All your atoms and all of the stuff that make up you have changed. So transformation is simply another stage of life.  and Karma you do in this life GOOD or Bad according to Buddhism will carry over or transform over with us like baggage because it must be delt with.

P.s I am more like a Sam Harris type Buddhist without beliefs and do not believe there is any real proof or evidence of another life after this one.

Also Buddha most likely had know idea what an ATOM was. However there are writtings that sagest that he believed that everything did not devide out to infinity and that everything could be devided down to a smallest part “atom” that when placed together make up every thing. This is the best one could do without science.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

12 April 2013 03:35

unsmoked - 31 July 2011 03:19 PM

The mind habitually ruminates on things that precipitate behavior that destroys peace of mind, making itself unhappy and eclipsing creative potential.

For ‘peace of mind’ to be destroyed, you must first HAVE ‘peace of mind’, and if you have ‘peace of mind’, how could anything destroy it?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8683
Joined  20-02-2006

12 April 2013 16:48

bardoXV - 12 April 2013 01:35 AM

The mind habitually ruminates on things that precipitate behavior that destroys peace of mind, making itself unhappy and eclipsing creative potential.

For ‘peace of mind’ to be destroyed, you must first HAVE ‘peace of mind’, and if you have ‘peace of mind’, how could anything destroy it?

Take a mundane example:  You are taking a spring walk around a lake, enjoying the blossoming trees, the sound of birds, the cries of delight of some children who are playing on the grass.  You pass a young couple who are holding hands.  They smile at you.  Suddenly you think of your recent divorce, your shattered marriage, your ex’s custody of your children, how you were at fault.  Would you agree that you had peace of mind one moment and lost it the next?  What happened?  Is there anyone who doesn’t have painful memories?  Anyone who hasn’t made painful mistakes?  Are such memories ever completely gone, or only latent?

latent  adj  :  present and capable of becoming though not now visible or active syn  DORMANT, QUIESCENT

“One thought about it and you fly into hell like an arrow.”  -  Zen saying

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

12 April 2013 20:18

unsmoked - 12 April 2013 02:48 PM
bardoXV - 12 April 2013 01:35 AM

Take a mundane example:  You are taking a spring walk around a lake, enjoying the blossoming trees, the sound of birds, the cries of delight of some children who are playing on the grass.  You pass a young couple who are holding hands.  They smile at you.  Suddenly you think of your recent divorce, your shattered marriage, your ex’s custody of your children, how you were at fault.  Would you agree that you had peace of mind one moment and lost it the next?  What happened?  Is there anyone who doesn’t have painful memories?  Anyone who hasn’t made painful mistakes?  Are such memories ever completely gone, or only latent?

latent  adj  :  present and capable of becoming though not now visible or active syn  DORMANT, QUIESCENT

“One thought about it and you fly into hell like an arrow.”  -  Zen saying

I would suggest that if you have ‘peace of mind’ those kind of thoughts will not trouble you, and If they do trouble then your ‘peace of mind’ was only an illusion.  FYI, I have been divorced, my wife had custody, but none of it troubled me, because I was in agreement with all of it.  When a marrage fails no-one is without fault, so how does that matter?  I had as much ‘peace of mind before, during, and after.  If painful memories can shatter your ‘peace of mind’ you may not have had it in the first place.  To me ‘peace of mind’ would include the ability to accdept these troubles without being troubled about them.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15886
Joined  17-12-2006

12 April 2013 22:50

Example of Instant Mixed Emotions Destroying Peace of Mind: When you wife tells you that of all your friends, you have the biggest penis.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

12 April 2013 23:49

burt - 12 April 2013 08:50 PM

Example of Instant Mixed Emotions Destroying Peace of Mind: When you wife tells you that of all your friends, you have the biggest penis.

I read this to my wife and she said “That would be quite a blow.”  And I said “That was an interesting choice of words.”

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

12 April 2013 23:56

Did Genghis Khan have peace of mind?

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 00:11

Ecurb Noselrub - 12 April 2013 09:56 PM

Probably, especially when he was slaughtering indegenous populations.  Dead people are very peaceful.  And quiet.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 00:20

? ? Was Genghis Khan a Buddhist?  ?  ?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9665
Joined  20-10-2006

13 April 2013 01:59

I’m stealing this.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

13 April 2013 02:25

bardoXV - 12 April 2013 10:20 PM

? ? Was Genghis Khan a Buddhist?  ?  ?

No. But he had peace of mind. He is reported to have said “Man’s greatest good fortune is to chase and defeat his enemy, seize his total possessions, leave his married women weeping and wailing, ride his gelding, use the bodies of his women as a nightshirt and support.”

What a guy!!!!  He kicked every guy’s ass and screwed every woman’s ass. And apparently had no regrets. Not politically correct, but 25% of all Mongolians have his genes. Very successful, evolutionarily speaking.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 04:15

Skipshot - 12 April 2013 11:59 PM

I’m stealing this.

You have my deepest sympathy.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

13 April 2013 04:28

Even worse if she’s lying…  confused

Image Attachments

MIXED.jpeg

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›