Is Buddhism Relgion?

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 04:43

MARTIN UK - 13 April 2013 02:28 AM
burt - 12 April 2013 08:50 PM

Example of Instant Mixed Emotions Destroying Peace of Mind: When you wife tells you that of all your friends, you have the biggest penis.

Even worse if she’s lying…  confused

But why would she lie, or is that lay, or lie, or wash your hands in lye?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

13 April 2013 05:14

bardoXV - 13 April 2013 02:43 AM

Example of Instant Mixed Emotions Destroying Peace of Mind: When you wife tells you that of all your friends, you have the biggest penis.

You’re too trusting by far…  wink

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 11:11

MARTIN UK - 13 April 2013 03:14 AM
bardoXV - 13 April 2013 02:43 AM

You’re too trusting by far…  wink

Ignorance is Bliss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HnqwUpekk

When we got married, I told my wife I would answer questions honestly, but she should be sure she wanted to hear the answer.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  20-02-2006

13 April 2013 16:17

bardoXV - 12 April 2013 06:18 PM
unsmoked - 12 April 2013 02:48 PM
bardoXV - 12 April 2013 01:35 AM
unsmoked - 31 July 2011 03:19 PM

The mind habitually ruminates on things that precipitate behavior that destroys peace of mind, making itself unhappy and eclipsing creative potential.

For ‘peace of mind’ to be destroyed, you must first HAVE ‘peace of mind’, and if you have ‘peace of mind’, how could anything destroy it?

Take a mundane example:  You are taking a spring walk around a lake, enjoying the blossoming trees, the sound of birds, the cries of delight of some children who are playing on the grass.  You pass a young couple who are holding hands.  They smile at you.  Suddenly you think of your recent divorce, your shattered marriage, your ex’s custody of your children, how you were at fault.  Would you agree that you had peace of mind one moment and lost it the next?  What happened?  Is there anyone who doesn’t have painful memories?  Anyone who hasn’t made painful mistakes?  Are such memories ever completely gone, or only latent?

latent  adj  :  present and capable of becoming though not now visible or active syn  DORMANT, QUIESCENT

“One thought about it and you fly into hell like an arrow.”  -  Zen saying

I would suggest that if you have ‘peace of mind’ those kind of thoughts will not trouble you, and If they do trouble then your ‘peace of mind’ was only an illusion.  FYI, I have been divorced, my wife had custody, but none of it troubled me, because I was in agreement with all of it.  When a marriage fails no-one is without fault, so how does that matter?  I had as much ‘peace of mind before, during, and after.  If painful memories can shatter your ‘peace of mind’ you may not have had it in the first place.  To me ‘peace of mind’ would include the ability to accept these troubles without being troubled about them.

“At this point you are a true Zen monk who has gone beyond the dusts . . . I am shading my eyes looking up to you.”

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9669
Joined  20-10-2006

13 April 2013 16:56

unsmoked - 13 April 2013 02:17 PM

“At this point you are a true Zen monk who has gone beyond the dusts . . . I am shading my eyes looking up to you.”

This is a big deal.  unsmoked admitting to being out-Zenned.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 16:57

T.I.C. ?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 April 2013 16:58

This has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but you know how we think by association:

A friend just returned from renewing her driver’s license, extremely upset by how awful her new photo looked.  “The first one was so-so, and I asked if he’d take another.  The second photo was a disaster so I said, “Let’s use the first one.”  He said, “I erased it.”  Then he went ahead and printed the second one.”

Moments later, it seemed, I was reading an article in the April 1 New Yorker by David Sedaris, (‘LONG WAY HOME’) about how his laptop was stolen in Oahu, and his passport was tucked in an interior pocket.  He writes, “Hugh, Gretchen, and I stayed on Oahu for five more days, afterward, with me using my police report as I.D., we flew to Los Angeles, where I secured a new passport.  The picture in my stolen one wasn’t half bad, but in the new one I look like a penis with an old person’s face drawn on it.  I could have had more photos taken, but it wouldn’t have made any difference.  This was the new me, post-theft - all my youthful optimism gone, filched by some drug addict in Hawaii.  Every time I looked at my horrible new passport, I thought of him and wondered what he was up to.  The person I pictured was in his mid-to late twenties, with a vibrant tattoo on his neck - something classy, such as a scorpion waving a joint.  He was a paper doll I would accessorize with whatever I found irritating that day:  He texted during movies.  He ate at Chick-fil-A.  He put glitter in his thank-you letters, and when you opened them the damn stuff got all over everything. 

(Sedaris continues)  “I often wondered if my thief had ever been caught.  If he’d spent time in jail, who had bailed him out?  His mother?  His girlfriend?  I figured he was straight, since a gay person, or even a bisexual, would have also taken my rubberized canvas tote, which was right next to my computer bag and which prompts compliments like you would not believe.”  (end quote)

Anyway, it was the part about his new passport photo in which he looked like a penis with an old person’s face drawn on it, that got me going.  Some things demand a lot of Zen practice before you can breeze through border checks with equanimity:

UK immigration officer:  Mr. Sedaris is it?

Sedaris:  Yes.

Officer:  Has anyone ever told you that you look like a penis with an old person’s face drawn on it?

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 17:09

Skipshot - 13 April 2013 02:56 PM

This is a big deal.  unsmoked admitting to being out-Zenned.

Before you inflate my head too much, in the past when I have been confronted, I usually walked away.  But when a family member is cornered, things are different.  As a result I can no longer, legally own a firearm.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 April 2013 17:14

bardoXV - 13 April 2013 02:57 PM

T.I.C. ?

Tongue in cheek?  Not if your equanimity is as unflappable as you say.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 17:18

unsmoked - 13 April 2013 03:14 PM

T.I.C. ?

I wish.  Thinking about how you would like to act is one thing, actually acting that way is quite another.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 17:23

bardoXV - 13 April 2013 03:09 PM

in the past when I have been confronted, I usually walked away.

Perhaps I should elaborate just a bit, my motives were not altogether noble.  I know I have a bad temper and years ago I studied Karate and I know that I could really hurt someone under the right circumstances.  So I would walk away, in part to avoid trouble, and also to avoid injury to another person.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 April 2013 18:13

bardoXV - 13 April 2013 03:23 PM

Perhaps I should elaborate just a bit, my motives were not altogether noble.  I know I have a bad temper and years ago I studied Karate and I know that I could really hurt someone under the right circumstances.  So I would walk away, in part to avoid trouble, and also to avoid injury to another person.

Indiana Jones didn’t go around looking for trouble, but when some guy in a turban, with blood in his eye, starts swishing a scimitar in his face . . .

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 19:18

unsmoked - 13 April 2013 04:13 PM
bardoXV - 13 April 2013 03:23 PM

Indiana Jones didn’t go around looking for trouble, but when some guy in a turban, with blood in his eye, starts swishing a scimitar in his face . . .

Indiana Jones was fiction and all the action was determined by the script writers.  If that scenario had happened in America, or another country ruled by law, Jones would have been arrested for manslaughter if not murder.  At that distance the man with the scimitar was no real threat, only if he had moved in closer would Jones have been justified.  Lucky for Jones the crowd didn’t go after him.

[ Edited: 13 April 2013 19:22 by bardoXV]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9669
Joined  20-10-2006

13 April 2013 19:49

bardoXV - 13 April 2013 03:18 PM

T.I.C. ?

I wish.  Thinking about how you would like to act is one thing, actually acting that way is quite another.

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

bardoXV

bardoXV
Joined  10-03-2013

13 April 2013 20:03

Skipshot - 13 April 2013 05:49 PM
bardoXV - 13 April 2013 03:18 PM

T.I.C. ?

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Untill reality short circuts the process, not everyone is as spiritually strong as Gandhi. 

In the west you learn the philosophy in the hopes that your actions will follow.

In the east you act your philosophy in the hopes that your mind will follow.

At least that is what I have heard.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >