Debate website idea

neurojon

neurojon
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-02-2012

12 February 2012 20:28

For a while now I’ve been wanting to create a new online debate platform that uses a community driven reward system that really encourages rational, concise, and civil discussions. It would do this by rewarding users for productive debates by increasing their “reputation points,” which gives them more moderation power. There are a lot of debate websites out there, but they often seem to me to end up diminishing into polls of subjective opinions.

I have just implemented the first prototype, based on a modified question and answer platform, OSQA. I would really love it if people would try it out and let me know what you think.

The website is at: http://www.prodebates.com.

PS. I’m making the source code for the project is available at http://code.google.com/p/django-debates/. The content of the debates is being released under a Creative Commons license.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

12 February 2012 21:32

People here will start quarreling over reputation points.  Besides, people will give reputation points to those who express ideas they agree with rather than the validity of their arguments.  Poor e-curb, our lonely theist, will get smashed, not because he doesn’t make valid observations, but, because, as a theist, he is considered a pleasant, convivial, but lame-brained poster, who is in denial blah blah blah.

I wouldn’t do well either.  Maybe that’s why I think your idea sucks.

neurojon

neurojon
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-02-2012

12 February 2012 23:37

The reputation points cannot just be given away. People first have to post an argument or counterargument and then they receive reputation points when trusted members of the community rate these posts for their rationality, conciseness, ability to appeal to the target audience, etc. Of course, your point that people could just rate arguments that they agree with is still a valid concern. I’ve thought about ways to address this issue, if it indeed becomes an issue, but I won’t address that here. The main goal for this release is to see if it is indeed a concern.

The website is currently in “bootstrap” mode, which gives new users more privileges than usual; but once I take the website off of bootstrap mode, it will take time, effort, and multiple demonstrations of being able to debate rationally and civilly before they have any voting privileges.

I will make sure that Ecurb is rewarded when he offers valid observations and will make sure that people participate in verbal attacks or try to abuse the system are banned. grin

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

13 February 2012 01:49

saralynn - 12 February 2012 08:32 PM

. . . Poor e-curb, our lonely theist, will get smashed, not because he doesn’t make valid observations, but, because, as a theist, he is considered a pleasant, convivial, but lame-brained poster, who is in denial blah blah blah.

Poor ecurb, indeed. I don’t see his reputation here quite that way. I think he’s seen for the most part as an able thinker with deft flexibility. True, one or two might replace deft with daft. But overall, BB is well respected, I’m sure.

Volted

Volted
Total Posts:  155
Joined  02-02-2012

13 February 2012 02:50

nv - 13 February 2012 12:49 AM

. . . Poor e-curb, our lonely theist, will get smashed, not because he doesn’t make valid observations, but, because, as a theist, he is considered a pleasant, convivial, but lame-brained poster, who is in denial blah blah blah.

Poor ecurb, indeed. I don’t see his reputation here quite that way. I think he’s seen for the most part as an able thinker with deft flexibility. True, one or two might replace deft with daft. But overall, BB is well respected, I’m sure.

Give him a lead of 10 points by default then.
Peace,
George.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

13 February 2012 15:09

nv - 13 February 2012 12:49 AM

Sara is seeking points for the assumption that each side be given equal credibility that their underlying propositions are true. To her, they are. The program should be very easy to write, just take off points for the number of times “You nut-bag.” and “You fool.” is used. Bruce just may come out the easy winner.

ibanezerscrooge

ibanezerscrooge
Total Posts:  83
Joined  23-01-2012

21 March 2012 10:44

Just took a look at the site and I really like what you’re trying to do. The layout is fairly intuitive and easy to navigate. Definitely needs more participants to see if the format is successful. I’m bookmarking it and will keep an eye on it. Good work!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

21 March 2012 13:55

neurojon - 12 February 2012 07:28 PM

For a while now I’ve been wanting to create a new online debate platform that uses a community driven reward system that really encourages rational, concise, and civil discussions. It would do this by rewarding users for productive debates by increasing their “reputation points,” which gives them more moderation power. There are a lot of debate websites out there, but they often seem to me to end up diminishing into polls of subjective opinions.

I have just implemented the first prototype, based on a modified question and answer platform, OSQA. I would really love it if people would try it out and let me know what you think.

The website is at: http://www.prodebates.com.

PS. I’m making the source code for the project is available at http://code.google.com/p/django-debates/. The content of the debates is being released under a Creative Commons license.

Logged onto it. Let’s see how it functions.

decibel05

decibel05
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-04-2013

04 April 2013 14:31

Is your idea related to Lettuce Debate ?

This website has a rating system that rates user’s arguments and award with either a Carambola (Starfruit) and/or Tomatoes.
Check out “The Garden” (The Legend) and see if this idea pertains to what you are writing about.
User’s are able to build a reputation at this site, and come to a resolution for a debate as a group.  This site has many features for its members.

-G

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

04 April 2013 20:57

I think it’s an interesting concept, Neuronjon1. I wonder whether the idea would work for a site like PR where most of us aren’t interested in power. I like PR because we can say pretty much what we like in the way we like. I like freedom of expression. You have to do something pretty bad here (like threaten physical violence) to get sent to the dungeon. I don’t mind being insulted as long as the insults are creative or funny. And I like the freedom to cuss when I think appropriate to succinctly express the level of emotion I feel towards a particular post or poster’s comments.

Anyway, I’ll kep an eye on your site to see how it goes.

BTW, welcome to PR.

Wintermute

Wintermute
Total Posts:  67
Joined  28-03-2013

04 April 2013 23:07

Lol, sometimes profanity says it w with an artistry mere politeness never could

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

05 April 2013 00:08

Wintermute - 04 April 2013 09:07 PM

Lol, sometimes profanity says it w with an artistry mere politeness never could

I don’t know about that, profanity can be forceful and emotionally charged, but to cut someone down politely requires artistry.

JohnTheAtheist

JohnTheAtheist
Total Posts:  5
Joined  10-03-2013

06 April 2013 16:41

Excellent idea.

I definitely think there is some merit to an online, public forum in which ideas can be exchanged and debated. The biggest issue is making it functional and then making it well known to encourage people to join.

I went to the website but didn’t really understand it.

Perhaps you should take your idea to an app-writer? It could be the next Twitter?