1 2 3 >  Last ›

Forgive me, but what exactly does Project Reason DO?

fosal hossain

fosal hossain
Total Posts:  419
Joined  12-05-2012

24 February 2012 01:15

FIrst, I’m not asking this in doubt of Project Reason being active.  It may be, and I just don’t see it.

That being said…well, I don’t see Project Reason being active in doing much of anything.  The video contest garners a small amount of attention online, but otherwise, I don’t see much of a presence anywhere of Project Reason doing anything to reach its secular goals.

It seems to me that with the caliber of people on the advisory board, Project Reason could be a very visible force in the world (and media) helping promote secularism.  I see people like Ricky Gervais, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, Steven Weinberg, and Salman Rushdie on the board, yet I don’t think I’ve EVER heard any of them even mention Project Reason.

Again, I could be wrong, but if I’m not, then isn’t it about time Project Reason became active in acheiving its goals?

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

24 February 2012 01:26

Fair questions.

I have tried to organise interest in certain things. For example when the Indoesion guy was arrested for saying he didn’t believe in god. But I don’t think the members here see this as a place for actually doing anything. It’s more of a clearing house for minds. People come here to talk about where they’re at and get and give feedback with people on the same sort of journey. In that sense it does serve a useful purpose. And one should remembre that this forum is only part of Project Reason.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

24 February 2012 01:39

I’ve seen those guys bowling together in matching red Project Reason shirts. They knocked the pants off of The Reason Project team.

Alas, my bowling days are behind me. What about starting a band?

fosal hossain

fosal hossain
Joined  12-05-2012

24 February 2012 02:01

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 24 February 2012 12:26 AM

And one should remembre that this forum is only part of Project Reason.

I’m not referring to the forum (and it’s few active members).  I mean Project Reason as an organization.  Sam created it, but I don’t see it doing much.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

24 February 2012 02:05

The simplest answer is that it doesn’t do much.

fosal hossain

fosal hossain
Joined  12-05-2012

24 February 2012 02:12

GAD - 24 February 2012 01:05 AM

The simplest answer is that it doesn’t do much.

It would seem to me that now is the best time for it to become active.  With the election coming and all the theocratic BS being tossed around, Project Reason would be a good counter-balance.  The Reason Rally would be a good place to make others aware of it.  Maybe even create a superPAC to raise money to run secular ads and such.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

24 February 2012 10:46

As long as it doesn’t involve time or money, I’m willing to help make PR become more socially active.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

24 February 2012 11:55

There’s the Project Reason site which mostly consists of articles of interest, news updates, and projects, plus you can sign up for Sam’s Blog and get notified of special interest articles he’s written, interviews, book reviews, etc. All that is different from the discussion forum here in which we actively participate.

About Project Reason

Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. Drawing on the talents of the most prominent and creative thinkers across a wide range of disciplines, Project Reason seeks to encourage critical thinking and wise public policy through a variety of interrelated projects. The foundation will convene conferences, produce films, sponsor scientific studies and opinion polls, publish original research, award grants to other charitable organizations, and offer material support to religious dissidents and public intellectuals — all with the purpose of eroding the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

While the foundation is devoted to fostering critical thinking generally, we believe that religious ideas require a special focus. Both science and the arts are built upon cultures of vigorous self-criticism; religious discourse is not. As a result, religious dogmatism still reigns unchallenged in almost every society on earth—dividing humanity from itself, inflaming conflict, preventing wise public policy, and diverting scarce resources. One of the primary goals of Project Reason is to change this increasingly unhealthy status quo.

Our EID# is 26-1643643.

Project Reason is not affiliated with The Reason Foundation or REASON® magazine.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

24 February 2012 11:57

Forgive them, they know not what they do.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

24 February 2012 12:17

saralynn - 24 February 2012 10:57 AM

Forgive them, they know not what they do.

Advise them of it and there are no more excuses.

TheBrotherMario

TheBrotherMario
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  02-04-2011

24 February 2012 14:02

Any collective human endeavor that leans heavily to one side will inevitably topple over and crumble into rubble.

Fundamentalist Christians who deny even the basic tenants of evolution are seen as silly people and have little influence in the world at large.

Militant atheists who deny even the basic good that religion does are seen as oddballs and also have little influence in the world at large.

Project Reason has a leg to stand on when it promotes intellectual secular values against superstitions and dogmas, religious or not, that destroy human life and human dignity.

But Project Reason is tipping over and crumbling into rubble because it is attracting people who have an axe of personal opinion to grind rather than a sword of enlightened thought to wield.

And, this “personal opinion” always leans heavily toward “personal freedom”.

It is no small thing that the leading atheists in the world “preach” freedom from everything that can control human beings in even the smallest way. This is a self-serving position more than a cry for human advancement. The books of Harris, Hitchens, Penn, etc. are replete with relativistic ideas that promote an “anything goes” philosophy. And, the lives of these men (Harris on drugs, Hitchens a drunk, and Penn a sex addict) “prove” that their philosophies are serving their selfish desires quite nicely. Penn comes right out and says that his main focus is to promote anything that gives us more freedom to do whatever we want to do.

Until secularists and, especially, atheists show the world that they are the best there is, these groups of people will mainly attract others like them—i.e., selfish people without rules.

Such people have never been a force that “does” anything worthwhile for humanity.

fosal hossain

fosal hossain
Joined  12-05-2012

24 February 2012 14:12

I must resist the urge to respond.  I’ve made a promise to myself to not waste time on BM.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

24 February 2012 14:16

Sciguy - 24 February 2012 01:12 PM

I must resist the urge to respond.  I’ve made a promise to myself to not waste time on BM.

Be strong, don’t give in to temptation, no good can come of it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

24 February 2012 14:47

C’mon, boys! How can you resist?

That is some World-Class dunk tank jive-taunting. 

Other sites have to pay for this kind of entertainment. At other forums, clicking reply to the dunk tank prompts a screen that ask for your credit card info. We don’t want that here. 

So, take a shot: it’s on the house. You know you want to:.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

24 February 2012 14:53

GAD - 24 February 2012 01:16 PM
Sciguy - 24 February 2012 01:12 PM

Be strong, don’t give in to temptation, no good can come of it.

Thanks, guys. That was very helpful and inspirational. Let him talk to himself, he’s only talking to himself anyhow.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

24 February 2012 14:54

Nhoj Morley - 24 February 2012 01:47 PM

C’mon, boys! How can you resist?

That is some World-Class dunk tank jive-taunting. 

Other sites have to pay for this kind of entertainment. At other forums, clicking reply to the dunk tank prompts a screen that ask for your credit card info. We don’t want that here. 

So, take a shot: it’s on the house. You know you want to:.

Oh oh ... I’m weak. I’m also moody. Maybe another time, Nhoj.

1 2 3 >  Last ›