Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  05-06-2012

20 April 2012 11:19

Dennis Campbell - 20 April 2012 12:24 AM
Mike78 - 19 April 2012 10:24 PM
TheBrotherMario - 19 April 2012 08:50 PM

Rob kisses Mike’s ass, then Dennis kisses can zen’s ass, and on and on.

You boys are creating a chain of ass-kissing links without one of them deserved.

Rob says there’s no spiritual world because HE found none. Well, that’s proof now, isn’t it?

Dennis gives accolades to a poster who doesn’t have a philosophical bone in his body, so therefore doesn’t UNDERSTAND what a “seat” for a power is. So the poster lamely ridiculed me out of nothing else he could do, but that’s enough for praise from Dennis. Well, that’s a true endorsement now, isn’t it?

Who let you out of the locker?

Mike 78.  Fuck you.

Ah, temptation.  While I do enjoy crusty old bastard loving, I’m going to pass on this offer.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

20 April 2012 11:25

Agua - 20 April 2012 02:22 AM
Mike78 - 19 April 2012 12:36 PM
Agua - 16 April 2012 03:19 AM

I think the hypothesis of consciousness being a separate entity from the brain deserves a whole effort of scientific research.  When one consider many reliably official reports of out-of-the-body manifestation of consciousness, I consider there is more than enough evidence, real facts to constitute an excellent ground for scientific research on this consciousness/body separateness hypothesis. For this reason, I think neuroscience would not necessarily be enough to allow investigation in this direction.  First reason to this being it limits itself to brain study as far as I know.  Second reason would be that neuroscience seems to consider too often (a priori) consciousness to be in the brain by the simple logic that when you kill the brain, consciousness seems to have disappeared.  But what if the brain was just a complex interface between consciousness unit and the body ?  The same symptoms would be true, killing the brain would apparently stop any consciousness bodily manifestation.  Now as I said earlier, there are a lot of real facts (not faith-based at all) evidence of enough phenomenon to seriously give ground to the hypothesis of spirit or consciousness being possibly distinct from brain/body.  I would like to know if more people are interested about this research on scientific and philosophical basis, i.e. reason ground.

Absolutely.  Let’s dive into this.  First we’ll have to develop tools for scientific measurement of the “out of body” experience….  Wait.  If we develop some kind of “out of body” meter, where do we point it?  How do we take our tools into “out of body” space?  My PKE Meter is powered by batteries that seem to be more “in body” than not. 

If we solve that problem and get results, how do with “think” about them?  Do we have to be “out of body” to do so?  Can we build an “out of body” laboratory where people can go to work on these really serious matters?  I don’t think commuting will be an issue.  Does an “out of body” measurement translate to “in body” consideration by use of a brain though? 

However we answer these questions, and wherever they take us, I hope we get there in something like the Ghostbusters’ mobile. 

Thank you Dr. Spengler.  That will be all.

Well, as we dont know what could be the physical nature of consciousness out of the body a priori, why not develop meters of the various kinds of energy fields we know of already and try to measure around the body.  That’s just an idea, with no solid basis yet, of course, but what you say about the Ghostbusters’ mobile could very well give the tone.  I mean, the hypothesis is sound to me because of real testimonies of people who had those out-of-body experiences or NDEs and who were confirmed by official people like Jean Morzelle’s surgeon for instance.  I cannot see any explanation based on brain functions in this kind of case.  Especially since the brain is recorded as totally dead by intruments in these cases.  But the guy eventually came back to life and could tell us about those perceptions which could be verified.  I am not interested in any of the perceptions which could not be verified, of course, as be it true or not, nobody else can tell.

There are real “testimonies” of alien abduction and miracles too.  So what?

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

20 April 2012 12:35

Rob: I’ve mentioned before in this place that when I was younger I had ‘out of body experiences’. I found them quite enjoyable but I have absolutely no doubt that they resulted from something chemical/neurological.  What was happening was happening in my brain and nowere else. There was nothing spooky or supernatural about those experiences. They are not evidence of anything beyond us. You can do the same trick with LSD or even good dope. So for all those who are hoping for some connection to ‘the other side’ all I can say is get over it. There’s fucking nothing there.

Really?  I don’t recall reading about this. How young were you?  If you were a child, why weren’t you frightened?  Had you heard about OBE’s before?  Did you see the silver cord?  Were you into “spirituality”?  Did you try to leave your body or just pop out

What’s interesting about the woman I knew was that her experiences happened in the 1950s before this stuff became common knowledge.  She also described the silver cord in detail, which added a touch of veracity to the story. She was a dear friend of mine and not prone to an excess of imagination, although she was a devout Christian.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

20 April 2012 12:48

GAD - 20 April 2012 12:27 AM

You boys are creating a chain of ass-kissing links without one of them deserved.

Rob says there’s no spiritual world because HE found none. Well, that’s proof now, isn’t it?

Dennis gives accolades to a poster who doesn’t have a philosophical bone in his body, so therefore doesn’t UNDERSTAND what a “seat” for a power is. So the poster lamely ridiculed me out of nothing else he could do, but that’s enough for praise from Dennis. Well, that’s a true endorsement now, isn’t it?

Mike 78.  Fuck you.

You do realize he was talking to BM not you, right?

Damn, I’m sorry M78, I’ve had BM on ignore so long I overlooked his post and got you mixed up.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

20 April 2012 13:01

Dennis Campbell - 20 April 2012 10:48 AM

Mike 78.  Fuck you.

Damn, I’m sorry M78, I’ve had BM on ignore so long I overlooked his post and got you mixed up.

Dennis, you are just getting so mean. You need some comfort food. When your little dog, your cheese and your vodka won’t calm you down, I suggest chicken soup.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

20 April 2012 13:05

Ecurb Noselrub - 20 April 2012 11:01 AM

Mike 78.  Fuck you.

Dennis, you are just getting so mean. You need some comfort food. When your little dog, your cheese and your vodka won’t calm you down, I suggest chicken soup.

I’m not sure mixing cheese, vodka and chicken soup is a good idea, but I’ll try anything once,

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

20 April 2012 14:01

GAD - 20 April 2012 12:27 AM

Mike 78.  Fuck you.

I’ll live.  Think nothing of it.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

20 April 2012 14:07

M78,

Re #37, right but I was still sloppy in ascribing BM’s usual idiocy to you.

Agua

Agua
Total Posts:  18
Joined  16-04-2012

20 April 2012 16:07

Mike78 - Posted: 20 April 2012 04:25 AM

I was not talking about «real “testimonies”» but about real verified testimonies.  Of course, just testimonies, just real testimonies, would not be enough in my opinion to trigger a scientific research, even if triggering interest.

[ Edited: 20 April 2012 16:09 by Agua]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17722
Joined  15-02-2008

20 April 2012 16:14

Agua - 20 April 2012 02:07 PM

I was not talking about «real “testimonies”» but about real verified testimonies.  Of course, just testimonies, just real testimonies, would not be enough in my opinion to trigger a scientific research, even if triggering interest.

There are no “real verified testimonies”, period.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

20 April 2012 16:51

GAD - 20 April 2012 02:14 PM

I suppose you could have testimonies corroborated by other testimonies, but that’s not much.  If one nutter backs up another claiming to have seen Elvis, would you launch an investigation in to whether Elvis lives?  I think you’ll find that kind of verification is “easy come, easy go,” so don’t get “all shook up” over it.

This has been fun, but Bigfoot and Nessy are waiting for me to join them for an afternoon cocktail.  We’re going to discuss launching an investigation into why all paranormal investigators display their footage in green.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

20 April 2012 16:55

Mike78 - 20 April 2012 02:51 PM
GAD - 20 April 2012 02:14 PM

I suppose you could have testimonies corroborated by other testimonies, but that’s not much.  If one nutter backs up another claiming to have seen Elvis, would you launch an investigation in to whether Elvis lives?  I think you’ll find that kind of verification is “easy come, easy go,” so don’t get “all shook up” over it.

This has been fun, but Bigfoot and Nessy are waiting for me to join them for an afternoon cocktail.  We’re going to discuss launching an investigation into why all paranormal investigators display their footage in green.

Because monsters are afraid of the light and only come out at night.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

20 April 2012 17:10

I believe Dick Cheney has been seen during the day.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

20 April 2012 17:16

Mike78 - 20 April 2012 03:10 PM

That’s all CGI. Notice he got to the cabinet back in the late ‘80s and then backed away from high level politics until CGI and other special effects techniques had developed to a point at which it was pretty highly effective.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

20 April 2012 17:20

Mike78 - 20 April 2012 03:10 PM

If the footage wasn’t in green I’d be suspicious. Or he could have a magic GOP ring that lets him walk in the light.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›