‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 > 

Spirit, Mind and Body distinction

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

26 April 2012 06:35

I also used to have what is called sleep paralysis. My body would go offline and yet my mind was awake and I could not move an eyelid.  I could not scream as hard as I tried. That was terrifying! I much preferred the OBEs.

The thing is that the brain and other parts of the body can get out of kilter and make us perceive things that are not really there. Nothing spooky happening. No ghosts or floating spirits (whatever they could possibly be). Just brain stuff.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

26 April 2012 06:41

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 26 April 2012 04:35 AM

Nothing spooky happening. No ghosts or floating spirits (whatever they could possibly be). Just brain stuff.

Yup… smile

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Total Posts:  558
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 10:30

Agua - 26 April 2012 03:53 AM
Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 25 April 2012 11:28 PM

Oh, yes. I could see my bed down below and my brother in the other bed asleep. I imagine if someone had walked into the room right then I would have felt that I was seeing them from my vantage point above. They, however, would have seen young Rob in the usual position in his bed where he indeed actually was. His perception of being up near the ceiling being the result of some temporary circuitry problem going on in his brain between wakefulness and sleep. Nothing spooky or supertnatural happening. Sorry guys.

I find this perception quite interesting however, because I wonder what was the perceptic body-organ or body-system able to relay to the brain the view from that point near the ceiling.  It could not be the eyeballs system, as far as I know.  But you say there was sight caught from the ceiling viewpoint.  Any idea or cue about the temporary circuitry problem going on in the brain then ?

good point Aqua. i agree with this criticism

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

26 April 2012 10:35

Professor Farnsworth - 26 April 2012 08:30 AM
Agua - 26 April 2012 03:53 AM
Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 25 April 2012 11:28 PM

Oh, yes. I could see my bed down below and my brother in the other bed asleep. I imagine if someone had walked into the room right then I would have felt that I was seeing them from my vantage point above. They, however, would have seen young Rob in the usual position in his bed where he indeed actually was. His perception of being up near the ceiling being the result of some temporary circuitry problem going on in his brain between wakefulness and sleep. Nothing spooky or supertnatural happening. Sorry guys.

I find this perception quite interesting however, because I wonder what was the perceptic body-organ or body-system able to relay to the brain the view from that point near the ceiling.  It could not be the eyeballs system, as far as I know.  But you say there was sight caught from the ceiling viewpoint.  Any idea or cue about the temporary circuitry problem going on in the brain then ?

good point Aqua. i agree with this criticism

PF, it was not a criticism. Agua asked for a possible explanation for the phenomenon I experienced and I gave him one. So far he has asked for no more. Perhaps you didn’t like the explanation. Not spooky enough?

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 10:44

He criticized your viewpoint by questioning. & The universe is spooky. But not a scary spooky, a funny, crazy, colorful spooky.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

26 April 2012 10:48

I wasn’t referring to a spooky that was necessarily scary either. What do you mean by a funny, crazy, colorful spooky?

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 11:00

Well the mystery is spooky isn’t it ? When the mysteries of the universe are solved they often seem crazy and funny because sometimes it is so unbelievable how nature can act. & Galaxies are colorful as well as the fun complexity of nature, it is certainly not dull or black and white.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

26 April 2012 11:18

Professor Farnsworth - 26 April 2012 09:00 AM

Well the mystery is spooky isn’t it ? When the mysteries of the universe are solved they often seem crazy and funny because sometimes it is so unbelievable how nature can act. & Galaxies are colorful as well as the fun complexity of nature, it is certainly not dull or black and white.

Well, that’s not the meaning I give to the word ‘spooky’. Spooky to me conotes ‘supernatural’ or ‘paranormal’. Both of which are bullshit.  I do agree, however, that facts about the universe can be counter intuitive (although not unbelievable) as well as colourful rather than dull or black and white. Who but a depressive and pessimist would argue otherwise?

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 15:19

No one. But yea a general misunderstanding I find is the misrepresentation of the categorization of the extremities or spookiness of nature into the Godlee category. Though the supernatural does exist. It is the extremities of nature. 

Agua did ask a great question though.

I am not on either side of the fence either.

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  05-06-2012

26 April 2012 16:43

Professor Farnsworth - 26 April 2012 01:19 PM

No one. But yea a general misunderstanding I find is the misrepresentation of the categorization of the extremities or spookiness of nature into the Godlee category. Though the supernatural does exist. It is the extremities of nature. 

You’ve defined supernatural as extreme-natural.  That’s non-sense.

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 16:49

Mike78 - 26 April 2012 02:43 PM
Professor Farnsworth - 26 April 2012 01:19 PM

You’ve defined supernatural as extreme-natural.  That’s non-sense.

No, no by my logical deduction you’ve defined supernatural as something to do with God-like powers.  That is non-sense.

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 16:50

Hahah

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 16:54

I just changed the definition of the term that is all. Because the logic I used allows me to do so.
Supernatural = super nature or the extremes of nature.
Nothing to do with God.

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Joined  07-09-2011

26 April 2012 17:05

I’m a professional.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

26 April 2012 17:47