1 2 > 

The 11th Ave. Buddha

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9663
Joined  20-10-2006

02 July 2012 15:26

It’s not clear where on 11th Ave. in Oakland, CA the Buddha is, but the street is in a pretty run down part of town.  He’s cleaned up the place without moving or saying a word.

http://oaklandlocal.com/posts/2012/06/saving-buddha-east-11th-street-oakland-community-voices

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Total Posts:  558
Joined  07-09-2011

02 July 2012 15:34

The visual of the Buddha increased the positivity of the setting of the community due to the symbolism of harmony and people reacted to the change.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 July 2012 17:33

Nah, this just proves it was nearby Buddhist monks the whole time—roughing up a semi-nearby area so people wouldn’t foul their temple. The Buddha schtick totally foiled their strategy, and once they stopped leaving their mark on the lot no one else followed suit.

Clearly.

Galactic Beach

Galactic Beach
Total Posts:  558
Joined  07-09-2011

02 July 2012 17:44

Oh

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 June 2013 05:55

Update:  Last week my boys and I visited the 11th Ave. Buddha, nearly a year after our first visit due to the above article.  During our first visit, the Buddha was painted white and perched on a small dais with a couple offerings of oranges around him The Buddha is still there in the same spot and he now has a roof over his head, is dressed in a robe, has incense burning, lights, recorded music playing, and offerings at his feet.  The decorations are a bit over the top for me, but if that’s the tradition of the locals and the Buddha helps keep the peace then I’m cool with him there.

My youngest boy and I left an offering of breath mints.

The whole thing inspired me to replace a plastic resin garden Buddha which sat in my back yard for six years before it was broken up by construction workers during their time at my house for a large renovation.  My new garden Buddha is solid granite and like the previous one, will be adorned by plants, birds, snails, bugs, the sun, moon, and stars.  Rain will rinse it.  Children will anthropomorphize it.  And it will remind me to let go.

I’m not Buddhist, but I like the serene expression on my Buddha’s face.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

22 June 2013 06:47

I must have missed this first time around… glad you updated it Skip, I might just get one myself, seems it can work wonders.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

22 June 2013 10:42

In my comparative religion days, I placed a statue of Buddha on my front yard in a semi-inconspicuous place, and, I put a rosary in his lap.  By this small gesture, I managed to offend both Catholics and Buddhists in my community.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

22 June 2013 12:49

I was wondering if Skips Buddha was an isolated thing… and came across this article in the LA Times.

Community activists have installed 100 sculptures of Buddha heads across Chicago, hoping to spark contemplation and conversation…

...As the name implies, Ten Thousand Ripples was intended to create waves that reverberate through each community, sparking conversation, galvanizing neighbors and renewing efforts to improve each community’s quality of life.

Image Attachments

100-buddhas.jpeg

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

22 June 2013 14:15

saralynn - 22 June 2013 08:42 AM

In my comparative religion days, I placed a statue of Buddha on my front yard in a semi-inconspicuous place, and, I put a rosary in his lap.  By this small gesture, I managed to offend both Catholics and Buddhists in my community.

Are you sure they were offended, as in someone confronting you about it, or do you just like to think they were offended?

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15885
Joined  17-12-2006

22 June 2013 15:45

No glass of wine by his side?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 June 2013 15:55

MARTIN UK - 22 June 2013 10:49 AM

I was wondering if Skips Buddha was an isolated thing…

That’s the calming effect of Buddha.  Two things I’ve learned about the Buddha’s effect:

1. There is a tradition of Buddhist monks spreading the Buddha’s message by writing prayers and posting them about town.  Each prayer written brought the writer closer to Nirvana.  Among a monk’s daily chores was to write X number of prayers per day.  Then one day in China about 1500 years ago one lazy and imaginative Chinese monk got the idea to carve his prayers on a block of wood and stamp his prayers instead of writing them by hand.  Thus he was able to easily and quickly finish that chore and get a whole lot closer to Nirvana a whole lot faster than using the old way.  Thus was born the first printing press.

2. While on tour of the abandoned former capital of Ayutthya, Thailand, which has scores of ruined Buddhist temples, I asked my tour guide why all the statues of Buddha were missing their heads.  The answer is that in the late 19th and early 20th centuries European tourists visited the abandoned city and, like many tourists, wanted to take a souvenir.  The Thai offered a statue of Buddha, because, as noted above, to spread Buddha is a good thing, and besides, these ones were abandoned and neglected and if the Thai could make money off of old junk then give the tourists the old junk.  (The Thai really did think the ruined city was old junk.)  The tourists realized the whole statue was too large to take so they compromised and asked for just the head with its serene expression, and the Thai obliged.  Soon the idea caught on and the Thai went about the city cutting off all heads and selling them to tourists.  Prior to this there was no tradition of Buddha’s head decorating a garden.  The cultural, historical, and artistic value of Ayutthaya was later realized and the heads are being restored.  It is really bad form to stand behind a statue and put your goofy-ass head in place of Buddha’s.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

02 July 2013 17:29

I saw Buddha’s face in my yogurt this morning.

Should I notify someone? Bruce Burleson maybe?This must be a sign, and personal revelation.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

30 July 2014 04:38

So now visiting the 11th Ave. Buddha is my annual thing.  The little house has been replaced by a full-on shrine, with more Buddha and Bodhisattva statues and starting to look garish to me.  But. . .  he keeps the peace, so peace be with him.  This time my son and I left an offering of nuts, which paled compared to the piles of oranges, crackers, and cookies around.  I’ll make up for the meager offering by offering my backyard Buddha statue a bottle of fine rum, and if he doesn’t drink it in two days then I’ll assume he’s a teetotaler and, while appreciating the sentiment, would rather I have it.

[ Edited: 30 July 2014 04:40 by Skipshot]
Image Attachments

11th Ave. Buddha, Oakland, CA.jpg

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

30 July 2014 06:34

Skipshot - 30 July 2014 02:38 AM

So now visiting the 11th Ave. Buddha is my annual thing.  The little house has been replaced by a full-on shrine, with more Buddha and Bodhisattva statues and starting to look garish to me.  But. . .  he keeps the peace, so peace be with him.  This time my son and I left an offering of nuts, which paled compared to the piles of oranges, crackers, and cookies around.  I’ll make up for the meager offering by offering my backyard Buddha statue a bottle of fine rum, and if he doesn’t drink it in two days then I’ll assume he’s a teetotaler and, while appreciating the sentiment, would rather I have it.

Seems fair… HA!

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

30 July 2014 14:39

Ah, showing off! Do you know how many people walked by and smiled?

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

30 July 2014 14:42

MARTIN UK - 30 July 2014 04:34 AM
Skipshot - 30 July 2014 02:38 AM

Seems fair… HA!

What are the directions to you backyard? I can be there almost immediately, although very late at night. Gave up on Poe after the cognac stopped coming.

1 2 >