Arts & Humanities

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

18 September 2012 19:20

Perhaps we should add an “Arts & Humanities” section to Project Reason.  Reasonable people also like to discuss art, fiction, and poetry, don’t they?  I think history and sociology might also fit into this category.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

19 September 2012 00:40

Here, here!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

19 September 2012 02:02

I’ll post a slide show from a descendent of the last Comanche chief, the half-breed Quanah Parker.  His mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, was captured by Comanches in central Texas in 1936.  She became the wife of a Comanche chief, Peta Nocona, and her first child was Quanah.  He was never defeated in battle by the US Cavalry, but eventually faced reality and surrendered to the Indian agency in Oklahoma.  After that, he became a successful business man, built a home in southwest Oklahoma, and even entertained President Teddy R. in his home.  He had 8 wives and 24 yung-uns. The city of Quanah, Texas, is named after him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSPY9sHb5M&feature=related

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

19 September 2012 08:31

saralynn - 18 September 2012 05:20 PM

Perhaps we should add an “Arts & Humanities” section to Project Reason.  Reasonable people also like to discuss art, fiction, and poetry, don’t they?  I think history and sociology might also fit into this category.

Nice idea, Saralynn. smile

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

19 September 2012 12:11

ecurb: I’ll post a slide show from a descendent of the last Comanche chief, the half-breed Quanah Parker.  His mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, was captured by Comanches in central Texas in 1936.  She became the wife of a Comanche chief, Peta Nocona, and her first child was Quanah.  He was never defeated in battle by the US Cavalry, but eventually faced reality and surrendered to the Indian agency in Oklahoma.  After that, he became a successful business man, built a home in southwest Oklahoma, and even entertained President Teddy R. in his home.  He had 8 wives and 24 yung-uns. The city of Quanah, Texas, is named after him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gSPY9sHb5M&feature=related

I enjoyed that, though the music made me sad & wistful. I am someone who hates looking at old photos, especially of people I love, because it hurts so much.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

19 September 2012 12:26

I just found out that this was written on Gregory Corso’s tombstone…...

Spirit
is Life
It flows through
the death of me
endlessly
like a river
unafraid
of becoming
the sea  

I am thinking of snitching it for my own tombstone, although I probably won’t have a tombstone, so maybe I will make it into tee-shirts to hand out a my funeral. 

Recently I found out Keat’s tombstone said

This Grave
contains all that was mortal
of
YOUNG ENGLISH POET
who
on his Death Bed
in the Bitterness of his Heart
at the Malicious Power of his Enemies
Desired
these words to be engraven on his Tomb Stone

“Here lies One
whose name was writ in Water.

Feb 24th 1821

I had known the “whose name was writ on water” part, but I was unaware that two of his friends added the other crap because they were annoyed at critics who didn’t appreciate Keats.  I’m sure Keats would have been appalled.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6356
Joined  22-02-2005

19 September 2012 14:28

It’s a fine idea.

I put a post-it note on my screen that says “Arts & Humanities” over “Ideas for Projects”.

Works great.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

19 September 2012 16:45

Nhoj: fine idea.

I put a post-it note on my screen that says “Arts & Humanities” over “Ideas for Projects”.

Thanks, but how about moving it over “Entertainment and Books”, as the Arts and Humanities include those topics?  Besides, putting in a separate section is almost like making it sit on the back of the bus. 

What do we want?      Equal rights for Arts& Humanities!
When do we want it?    Now!

All we are saaaaying….is give literature a chaaaaance…......

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

19 September 2012 22:07

Can our moderators change the structure of the forum?  Or is it set in stone?