A Mormon question

Jeff M

Jeff M
Total Posts:  1644
Joined  08-10-2010

22 September 2012 01:08

I’m only looking for factual answers here, not a bunch of judgmental stuff.  If Mitt Romney’s Grandfather went to Mexico to avoid polygamy laws, who is Mitt’s grandmother, and what are the other women in relation to him?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8359
Joined  20-02-2006

19 October 2012 17:08

Jeff M - 21 September 2012 11:08 PM

I’m only looking for factual answers here, not a bunch of judgmental stuff.  If Mitt Romney’s Grandfather went to Mexico to avoid polygamy laws, who is Mitt’s grandmother, and what are the other women in relation to him?

I don’t know the answer, but it raised another question:  If a man has five wives and dies, according to Mormon custom or law, can a son marry one of his former ‘mothers’ if they’re not related?  In some cases, son and ‘stepmother’ could be close to the same age and have romantic affection for each other.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

19 October 2012 18:36

Dunno Jeff, but I did learn yesterday that Romney is related to George W Bush. 10th cousins twice removed.

Now don’t that beat all, and it does say a lot about inbreeding as they are about the two dumbest politicians I have ever heard speak a word!

Sorry about the judgmental stuff, but I just couldn’t help myself.

And I’ve got binders of ‘em too!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21116
Joined  11-03-2007

21 October 2012 12:52

Epaminondas - 19 October 2012 04:36 PM

Dunno Jeff, but I did learn yesterday that Romney is related to George W Bush. 10th cousins twice removed.

Now don’t that beat all, and it does say a lot about inbreeding as they are about the two dumbest politicians I have ever heard speak a word!

So the fact that Barack Obama and Dick Cheney are 8th cousins must say a lot about ......?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21340764/ns/politics/t/lynne-cheney-vp-obama-are-eighth-cousins/#.UIP9f2f4IfA

Also, as far as Bush being dumb, he was elected governor of Texas twice and President of the USA twice. Now he’s got lifetime salary and Secret Service protection, and can pull down a hundred grand anytime he decides to speak. Since the only true purpose of a politician is to get elected, that makes him anything but dumb.