Secular Volunteer Groups

nbhanji

nbhanji
Total Posts:  13
Joined  27-09-2012

27 September 2012 18:51

Many religious groups spread their message through volunteer work, especially with the needy.

Part of Project Reason there should some sort group that volunteers to help those need it the most.

It could be once a week secular individuals helping those who need help out of compassion, empathy and sympathy.

We can wear shirts that promote Project Reason.

However there has to be some rules or ethics to go along with such a venture or volunteer work.

1. We can’t be putting religions down or bad mouthing it.
2. When someone tells you something to do with God or Jesus, simply tell them the truth; ie I am person secular values, I am person of science, I don’t believe there is a god, its not a god or deity that’s helping you its me and my friends, colleagues etc.
3.If someone advises they are going to pray for you, advise them not to, as it doesn’t matter to you. Thank you for the consideration.
4. If someone asks you to pray with them, advise them you don’t and that type of request makes you feel uncomfortable
5. Always be truthful
6. Just because you have something to say, it doesn’t mean you should say it.
7. If people are thanking a god for your help advise them that you don’t appreciate thanking something that does not exist for your hard work etc.
8. Make it understood that God(s), Deities, Religion are not appropriate language for the help you are providing.

If anybody asks why you are or why your secular volunteer group is volunteering, just be honest… Its the human thing to do, helping is a morally a good thing to do, I feel ethically bound by my reasoning, whatever it maybe…

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

27 September 2012 18:57

I’m with you, nbhanji. Let’s just be good because it’s good to be good. The religious nutters won’t know what to make of it.

nbhanji

nbhanji
Joined  27-09-2012

27 September 2012 19:06

Nice to here, I’m going to see what I can do to start a Secular Volunteer Group(s).

nbhanji

nbhanji
Joined  27-09-2012

15 October 2012 16:04

Update:

I have yet to create (a) Secular Volunteer Group(s) as I have not made much time for it. If anybody can help with this undertaking that would be greatly appreciated.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

15 October 2012 17:22

Check out: http://foundationbeyondbelief.org/

They may suit some of your goals for secular volunteerism.