Want Secular Equivalent of The Secret YouTube Video

hereweare

hereweare
Total Posts:  4
Joined  29-09-2012

23 November 2012 10:09

I used to use this video each morning to put me in a better mood: video - The Secret to You

It has smiles which make me smile. It has a scene in there of a man laying there and feeling good about being one with the universe. The version I used to have said “Today is the best day” It says “I am free to be myself”! Wow!

These are not religious statements. They improve people’s moods such as mine. We need more of that. I cannot currently pursue making a video like this.

Would someone please make the 30 second video which basically has the happy smiling parts and not the religious parts?

Thanks!

ibanezerscrooge

ibanezerscrooge
Total Posts:  83
Joined  23-01-2012

26 November 2012 14:13

Sounds like a good excuse to learn how to make youtube videos, don’t ya think? :0)

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

29 November 2012 05:04

I can see how little clips like this can help people feel ok. The pictures, the music and the written words take people’s minds off how horrible life and the world can be, if not for them, for others.  I’m not sure whether that’s good or bad. Maybe we should look raw reality in the face instead of through rose coloured glasses. But maybe we can’t cope with too much reality. Still, for the vast majority of the world’s people it’s not about trekking through lovely forests, parachuting off magnificent mountain tops or playing on the beach - a life where all you see is happy, interesting faces. It’s a daily struggle for survival. Sometimes lonely. And I don’t like all that nonsense about ‘the secret’ and I particularly disliked the focus on ME at the end. There was something very self-help-for-wealthy-Americans and don’t-feel-guilty about the clip that left a sour taste… But I can’t quite put my finger on it. What do others think about it? Am I being a kill-joy?

[ Edited: 29 November 2012 06:24 by robbrownsyd]

cunjevoi

cunjevoi
Total Posts:  720
Joined  31-08-2011

29 November 2012 06:18

If it motivates you and brightens your day that’s cool - but basically we are reminded of the virtues of:

Positivity
Embracing change with a positive attitude
Appreciating change… in a positive way
Being passionate, realising a purpose, oh, and staying positive

Apparently there are truckloads of money to be made from reminding privileged westerners to buck-up and enjoy themselves.

The Wiki article on The Secret says this about the so-called “law of attraction”:

‘The Secret describes the law of attraction as a natural law that determines the complete order of the universe and of our personal lives through the process of “like attracts like.” The author claims that as we think and feel, a corresponding frequency is sent out into the universe that attracts back to us events and circumstances on that same frequency. For example, if you think angry thoughts and feel angry, it is claimed that you will attract back events and circumstances that cause you to feel more anger. Conversely, if you think and feel positively, you will attract back positive events and circumstances. The law claims that desirable outcomes such as health, wealth, and happiness can be attracted simply by changing one’s thoughts and feelings.

There is no scientific basis to these assertions.

The packaging is clever but seriously…

[ Edited: 30 November 2012 09:30 by cunjevoi]

ibanezerscrooge

ibanezerscrooge
Total Posts:  83
Joined  23-01-2012

30 November 2012 18:40

cunjevoi - 29 November 2012 05:18 AM

If it motivates you and brightens your day that’s cool - but basically we are reminded of the virtues of:

Positivity
Embracing change with a positive attitude
Appreciating change… in a positive way
Being passionate, realising a purpose, oh, and staying positive

Apparently there are truckloads of money to be made from reminding privileged westerners to buck-up and enjoy themselves.

The Wiki article on The Secret says this about the so-called “law of attraction”:

‘The Secret describes the law of attraction as a natural law that determines the complete order of the universe and of our personal lives through the process of “like attracts like.” The author claims that as we think and feel, a corresponding frequency is sent out into the universe that attracts back to us events and circumstances on that same frequency. For example, if you think angry thoughts and feel angry, it is claimed that you will attract back events and circumstances that cause you to feel more anger. Conversely, if you think and feel positively, you will attract back positive events and circumstances. The law claims that desirable outcomes such as health, wealth, and happiness can be attracted simply by changing one’s thoughts and feelings.

There is no scientific basis to these assertions.

The packaging is clever but seriously…

The Secret as it is marketed today uses the metaphysical fad to sell their program. My wife was/is way into all this stuff which I keep telling her is a bunch of woo. But, she found this video on youtube of a recording by Earl Nightingale that was made back in 1950 that is the EXACT SAME THING but without so much woo.

Though there are verses from the Bible quoted, they are the life lesson kind that are actually “truisms” and have nothing to do with believing in supernatural BS (“you reap what you sow” for instance). The way that it’s explained in this video actually makes sense from a rational perspective and basically boils down to:

- keep a positive attitude
- make goals
- exercise perseverance to achieve those goals

Check it out if you’re into that kind of thing. I think it is compatible with non-belief.

hereweare

hereweare
Total Posts:  4
Joined  29-09-2012

16 December 2012 15:41

It seems nobody is yet ready to make a video that helps lift people’s spirits.

So, if someone stumbles upon this thread, I recommend they do an image google search for “happy” with SafeSearch on. Next, smile at the smiles and then go help others.

Happy Holidays all!