< 1 2 3 4 > 

STOP BREEDING OR WE’LL KILL YOU!

BigNose

BigNose
Total Posts:  525
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 00:01

saralynn - 13 January 2013 08:46 PM

Blah, blah, blah . . . Please don’t see the movie Soylent Green.  You might be inspired by it.  . . Blah, Blah, Blah . . .

Thanks for the movie tip. I’m gonna watch it!

Here’s a random review:

This is a brilliant sci-fi movie that is very strange in how men and women both view the same film. I have talked to many people about the film and almost every guy loved it and said it was brilliant—while most women thought it was just disgusting and stupid! This is the only movie I know of that has such polarized views based on gender. Perhaps many women just have a lower tolerance for disgusting or depressing plots—but whatever the cause, I have always found this difference fascinating.
The film begins with a murder and a subsequent investigation headed by Charlton Heston. This is set in the near future and the head of the huge international Soylent Corporation has been assassinated. As the film unfolds, you quickly realize this is a terrible and highly inequitable future American society. The rich live in gorgeous apartments with security and all the pleasures money can buy (including “furniture”—a euphemism for paid mistresses that come along with the apartment). At the same time, the masses are dirt poor, unemployed and in many cases living in abandoned cars or apartment hallways. Overpopulation and smog have taken a severe toll and the future looks awful indeed!
Why the rich man died and the awful truth he could not live with I really should NOT discuss—it could ruin the film for you. However, the film has a great plot and acting and is super-exciting to watch. Plus, it features Edward G. Robinson in his final screen performance as the crusty sidekick to Heston. Though not for the easily depressed or squeamish, this is a great sci-fi film that is allegorical and profound.
planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida

By the way, I’m a guy, so this dude thinks I’ll love it.
If anything of any practical value can be gleaned, I’ll be sure to post.

[ Edited: 14 January 2013 00:08 by BigNose]
Image Attachments

soylent_green.jpg

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17606
Joined  15-02-2008

14 January 2013 00:55

BigNose - 13 January 2013 11:01 PM

Blah, blah, blah . . . Please don’t see the movie Soylent Green.  You might be inspired by it.  . . Blah, Blah, Blah . . .

Thanks for the movie tip. I’m gonna watch it!

Here’s a random review:

This is a brilliant sci-fi movie that is very strange in how men and women both view the same film. I have talked to many people about the film and almost every guy loved it and said it was brilliant—while most women thought it was just disgusting and stupid! This is the only movie I know of that has such polarized views based on gender. Perhaps many women just have a lower tolerance for disgusting or depressing plots—but whatever the cause, I have always found this difference fascinating.
The film begins with a murder and a subsequent investigation headed by Charlton Heston. This is set in the near future and the head of the huge international Soylent Corporation has been assassinated. As the film unfolds, you quickly realize this is a terrible and highly inequitable future American society. The rich live in gorgeous apartments with security and all the pleasures money can buy (including “furniture”—a euphemism for paid mistresses that come along with the apartment). At the same time, the masses are dirt poor, unemployed and in many cases living in abandoned cars or apartment hallways. Overpopulation and smog have taken a severe toll and the future looks awful indeed!
Why the rich man died and the awful truth he could not live with I really should NOT discuss—it could ruin the film for you. However, the film has a great plot and acting and is super-exciting to watch. Plus, it features Edward G. Robinson in his final screen performance as the crusty sidekick to Heston. Though not for the easily depressed or squeamish, this is a great sci-fi film that is allegorical and profound.
planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida

By the way, I’m a guy, so this dude thinks I’ll love it.
If anything of any practical value can be gleaned, I’ll be sure to post.

It’s a classic with one the best euthanasia philosophies and scenes in movies.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6754
Joined  08-12-2006

14 January 2013 00:57

Do-gooding is like feeding starving Africans. The real cure is to let starving Africans starve to death—before they breed more starving Africans.

BigNose - 13 January 2013 04:32 PM

From Eating Fossil Fuels by Dale Allen Pfeiffer:

This leaves the third choice, which itself presents an unspeakable picture of suffering and death. Should we fail to acknowledge this coming crisis and determine to deal with it, we will be faced with a die-off from which civilization may very possibly never revive. We will very likely lose more than the numbers necessary for sustainability. Under a die-off scenario, conditions will deteriorate so badly that the surviving human population would be a negligible fraction of the present population. And those survivors would suffer from the trauma of living through the death of their civilization, their neighbors, their friends and their families. Those survivors will have seen their world crushed into nothing.

Why is a massive die-off inevitable? Won’t the poorest people just keep dying at an increasing rate until death and birth rates reach equilibrium?

Anyway, there’s nothing we can do about it. Voluntary birth control doesn’t work because the poorest and stupidest people will always breed as fast as they can.  And government restrictions on breeding would be met with too much resistance to ever be practical. Better to let nature take its course. Limiting government subsidized health care and other welfare/entitlement programs would help: we could at least remove the incentive to breed.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

14 January 2013 01:09

Antisocialdarwinist - 13 January 2013 11:57 PM

Do-gooding is like feeding starving Africans. The real cure is to let starving Africans starve to death—before they breed more starving Africans.

From Eating Fossil Fuels by Dale Allen Pfeiffer:

This leaves the third choice, which itself presents an unspeakable picture of suffering and death. Should we fail to acknowledge this coming crisis and determine to deal with it, we will be faced with a die-off from which civilization may very possibly never revive. We will very likely lose more than the numbers necessary for sustainability. Under a die-off scenario, conditions will deteriorate so badly that the surviving human population would be a negligible fraction of the present population. And those survivors would suffer from the trauma of living through the death of their civilization, their neighbors, their friends and their families. Those survivors will have seen their world crushed into nothing.

Why is a massive die-off inevitable? Won’t the poorest people just keep dying at an increasing rate until death and birth rates reach equilibrium?

Anyway, there’s nothing we can do about it. Voluntary birth control doesn’t work because the poorest and stupidest people will always breed as fast as they can.  And government restrictions on breeding would be met with too much resistance to ever be practical. Better to let nature take its course. Limiting government subsidized health care and other welfare/entitlement programs would help: we could at least remove the incentive to breed.

But as history shows all to well the poorest and stupidest always manage to breed an army that the richest and smartest can never seem to beat.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 02:03

The poorest people won’t keep dying off; they’ll fight against the system for their lives, the system will break and we’ll all go down the toilet.
The supply chain is global, operates on just-in-time principles and relies on oil, people and peace. When global labour and resource management go out the window, there’ll be little difference between the haves and have not’s. What you’ll “have” is no electricity, gas, running water or security. Medical care will be a fond memory, along with shopping and eating out. The Four Horsemen of war, famine, plague, and death will ride in fast and ensure the looting and lynching of the non-poor.
This shit storm will creep up behind you while your politicians are arguing about gay marriage, women priests and the “science” of creationism.
WTF!? This must be what it’s like being a bloody conspiracy theorist.
Still, as long as we all recycle, turn our telly’s off properly and cycle to work, we can probably ignore it for another ten years or so. 
Well, f**k that! I’m driving my car, leaving my lights on and turning down the empathy.
Get these f’kn oxygen thieves off my planet!
There’s too many people here using my oxygen and replacing it with carbon dioxide. FACT.

dacecain

dacecain
Total Posts:  255
Joined  07-10-2012

14 January 2013 05:50

Personally, if a powerful group implements genocide, of say 2 billion people, which excludes me and mine*, I can’t see myself objecting.

What say you?

*This group also includes my primary suppliers, current and potential customers and some additional stakeholders, but excludes Bankers and Priests.

A quick question that may affect my answer: Am I one of your potential customers?

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 09:23

dacecain - 14 January 2013 04:50 AM

Personally, if a powerful group implements genocide, of say 2 billion people, which excludes me and mine*, I can’t see myself objecting.

What say you?

*This group also includes my primary suppliers, current and potential customers and some additional stakeholders, but excludes Bankers and Priests.

A quick question that may affect my answer: Am I one of your potential customers?

Bingo!
Now, provided you’re not a priest or a banker, this depends on your employment/consumer potential.
As you live in the UK, you need to earn and spend at least £400 monthly (excluding housing, financial products and taxes) to get a pass.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 10:32

Seems like the solution is a fairer distribution of wealth . . .

How far do we go? The natural checks and balances of population control no longer apply to our species. We’ll continue to breed until forced.
Do we redistribute, and redistribute, and redistribute until every life is only just worth living?
C’mon, most of us are happy for Indian toddlers to stitch our clothes if it means we get more buy-one-get-one-free deals.
Are you prepared to live on ten dollars a day so someone more needy can enjoy a ten dollar a day lifestyle?
Please email me your bank details and I’ll happily realign your conduct with your principles.

dacecain

dacecain
Total Posts:  255
Joined  07-10-2012

14 January 2013 12:16

BigNose - 14 January 2013 08:23 AM
dacecain - 14 January 2013 04:50 AM

What say you?

Bingo!
Now, provided you’re not a priest or a banker, this depends on your employment/consumer potential.
As you live in the UK, you need to earn and spend at least £400 monthly (excluding housing, financial products and taxes) to get a pass.

Woo Hoo! Where do I sign? It’d probably be stopped by all the anti-this and that groups, and we’ll probably just all starve and die together while the government throws money at trying to find and then transport us to a bigger planet. Once we’re all dead, the unculled badgers will take over the planet as the dominant species. If wind in the willows is anything to go by, the world could finally be a wonderful place.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 13:56

Glad to have you on board, Ashley. There is, however, a rigorous assessment program for all new members, induction and training. Plus, of course, the usual joining and monthly membership fees.
Becoming an emergent apex predator is not easy, but ultimately very rewarding.
During phase 1, we’ll be testing our “solutions” on the oxygen thieves, the over-breeders and, of course, the religious propagandists.
Needless to say, there’ll be plenty of overseas travel and fine dining with the political elites.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

14 January 2013 17:02

This is a conversation some theists imagine atheists of having.

You do realize, Nose, that these comments will diminsh your chances of winning if you run for political office.

....or maybe not.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 17:54

saralynn - 14 January 2013 04:02 PM

This is a conversation some theists imagine atheists of having.

You do realize, Nose, that these comments will diminsh your chances of winning if you run for political office.

....or maybe not.

Wow! Theists imagine it’s the atheists who’ll plan for the survival and success of the human race? All the time burying their heads, praying to their fake gods, yet imagining the godless save the day? Those sneaky guys! Who’d of thunk it?!
Anyhoo. .  .
Why run for political office and waste a lot time achieving very little, when you can become a lobbyist and achieve everything you want very quickly – and earn more wonga while you’re at it?

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 22:44

Just watched Soylent Green. Would have been a blast back in the day, but sadly, 40 years later, it’s one and a half hours wasted. I shan’t waste any further time on a critique. No help to the cause either.

Image Attachments

soylent_green (1).jpg

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

14 January 2013 22:50

BigNose - 14 January 2013 09:44 PM

Just watched Soylent Green. Would have been a blast back in the day, but sadly, 40 years later, it’s one and a half hours wasted. I shan’t waste any further time on a critique. No help to the cause either.

Booooo, BOOOOOO. I saw it 40 years ago and have never forgot it.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

14 January 2013 23:18

GAD - 14 January 2013 09:50 PM
BigNose - 14 January 2013 09:44 PM

Booooo, BOOOOOO. I saw it 40 years ago and have never forgot it.

Like I said, “Would have been a blast back in the day.” Shame I missed it back then, it would have been quite profound, but the screen’s gotta work much harder to impress these days. Great twist though, can’t take that away from it – some compensation for sitting through one and a half hours of a 70’s cult movie with a boob count of ZERO! (Previously unheard of!!)

< 1 2 3 4 >