GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17602
Joined  15-02-2008

15 January 2013 03:40

BigNose - 14 January 2013 10:18 PM
GAD - 14 January 2013 09:50 PM
BigNose - 14 January 2013 09:44 PM

Just watched Soylent Green. Would have been a blast back in the day, but sadly, 40 years later, it’s one and a half hours wasted. I shan’t waste any further time on a critique. No help to the cause either.

Booooo, BOOOOOO. I saw it 40 years ago and have never forgot it.

Like I said, “Would have been a blast back in the day.” Shame I missed it back then, it would have been quite profound, but the screen’s gotta work much harder to impress these days. Great twist though, can’t take that away from it – some compensation for sitting through one and a half hours of a 70’s cult movie with a boob count of ZERO! (Previously unheard of!!)

It was a family movie smile

Loved the death center have always thought that was the way it should be for folks ready to move on from this world.

BigNose

BigNose
Total Posts:  525
Joined  20-10-2012

15 January 2013 14:21

GAD - 15 January 2013 02:40 AM

Loved the death center have always thought that was the way it should be for folks ready to move on from this world.

Dignitas, in Switzerland are doing a roaring trade with this. The problem, elsewhere, is the religious right insisting that everyone properly marinate in their own shit, piss and misery before they go. Surprised the “Death Centre” wasn’t being picketed in the movie. I guess the writers foresaw some evolution of religious dogma – or maybe the church held shares in The Soylent Corp.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6749
Joined  08-12-2006

15 January 2013 14:47

BigNose - 15 January 2013 01:21 PM
GAD - 15 January 2013 02:40 AM

Dignitas, in Switzerland are doing a roaring trade with this. The problem, elsewhere, is the religious right insisting that everyone properly marinate in their own shit, piss and misery before they go. Surprised the “Death Centre” wasn’t being picketed in the movie. I guess the writers foresaw some evolution of religious dogma – or maybe the church held shares in The Soylent Corp.

This seems apropos:

The deaf twins killed by euthanasia in Belgium chose to die because they ‘had nothing to live for’ after learning they would soon become blind, their brother revealed today.

The 45-year-olds, named yesterday as Marc and Eddy Verbessem, had lived together their entire adult lives and could not communicate with the outside world.

Another policy (in addition to suicide centers) that might help would be to require sterilization as a precondition to receiving welfare or other forms of public assistance. You’d get support from the right because the right hates people on welfare, and you’d get support from your fellow Malthusian-catastrophe-travelers on the left.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 January 2013 15:00

Antisocialdarwinist - 15 January 2013 01:47 PM

Another policy (in addition to suicide centers) that might help would be to require sterilization as a precondition to receiving welfare or other forms of public assistance. You’d get support from the right because the right hates people on welfare, and you’d get support from your fellow Malthusian-catastrophe-travelers on the left.

I’d support that. Hell I think we should pay the poor for getting sterilized.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

15 January 2013 15:05

Antisocialdarwinist - 15 January 2013 01:47 PM

Absolutely. In the UK, the pay-off from reversing the current housing benefit scheme. I.e. Housing for life, upon sterilisation, instead of free housing and income for you and all your progeny (just breed to qualify) will correct so many social and fiscal problems within just a few years. The problem is we have to keep our politicians in the loop and, well, enough said.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

15 January 2013 18:01

Do we have unalienable rights? If so, is the right to procreate one of them?
If the birth of your child degrades the quality of life of mine, does that not give me an unalienable right to object?
Who would consider it immoral to compensate individuals for relinquishing this “right” and not reproducing? For example, if the central banks were to offer willing teenagers an underwritten and secured “free” capital loan, repayable to the bank only upon death, who would object?
The Catholic Church?
Would you object?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 January 2013 22:26

Death, smoking and pollution: Maybe we’ve been wrong about them all this time

I thought this might help but then I realized that before they die they rack up millions trying to get out of paying.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9598
Joined  20-10-2006

16 January 2013 01:24

Another doomsday thread?  This idea has been done since the first chapter of the Bible and it has yet to come to pass.  You’ll need to get in line with the religious, peak oil, pandemic disease, Tea Baggers, and climate change prophesiers.  Yeah, someday all this civilization will come crashing down.  So what?  It has happened many times before, just pick up any history book to read about it, but if you want give your prediction credibility you’ll need to give an expiration date besides “someday”.  The Chinese call it the dynastic cycle.  Things come and go, misery happens, good things happen.  The party has to end someday, and the bigger the party the bigger the hangover.

I think the planet would do well to have our species go extinct for the sake of all life on it.  Our species thinks the planet is ours to do as we please, but Mother Nature has ways of reminding us who is in charge.

However, Big Nose, if the coming apocalypse is your thing then perhaps you’d like the book, “A Canticle For Leibowitz”.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

16 January 2013 12:10

Skipshot - 16 January 2013 12:24 AM

Another doomsday thread?

No. This is an ultra-right wing, Darwinian survivalist thread.

This idea has been done since the first chapter of the Bible and it has yet to come to pass.  You’ll need to get in line with the religious, peak oil, pandemic disease, Tea Baggers, and climate change prophesiers.

No. In the opening post I stated that everything else is a distraction. This is the only issue. There is no line, just a crowd surrounding and obfuscating the issue.

Yeah, someday all this civilization will come crashing down.  So what?

I’ve become attached to my toys and lusting after young ladies.

It has happened many times before, just pick up any history book to read about it, but if you want give your prediction credibility you’ll need to give an expiration date besides “someday”.

I think I did state “this century”. If I didn’t: This century, probably kick off in Europe by 2025.

The Chinese call it the dynastic cycle.  Things come and go, misery happens, good things happen.  The party has to end someday, and the bigger the party the bigger the hangover.

If you have children, all the clichés and platitudes in the world won’t smother your underlying urge to ensure your genes endure.

I think the planet would do well to have our species go extinct for the sake of all life on it.  Our species thinks the planet is ours to do as we please, but Mother Nature has ways of reminding us who is in charge.

Well I wouldn’t go that far. Disappearing a couple of billion people should do the trick and get everything back in balance. Then I can continue to play with my toys and lust after the young ladies.

However, Big Nose, if the coming apocalypse is your thing then perhaps you’d like the book, “A Canticle For Leibowitz”.

Thanks’ for the recommendation; I’ll put it on my birthday wish list.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6749
Joined  08-12-2006

16 January 2013 14:42

This guy should be sterilized. Or maybe just killed, like you say.

...whose real name is Carlos Walker and who has 11 children by 10 different women.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

16 January 2013 14:51

Antisocialdarwinist - 16 January 2013 01:42 PM

...whose real name is Carlos Walker and who has 11 children by 10 different women.

Poor guy, he’s not going to get his 15min and 15 million for being a douche bag.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

16 January 2013 15:10

BigNose - 15 January 2013 05:01 PM

If the birth of your child degrades the quality of life of mine, does that not give me an unalienable right to object?

We could at least be democratic about it.

http://www.americanliterature.com/author/shirley-jackson/short-story/the-lottery

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

16 January 2013 16:41

Antisocialdarwinist - 16 January 2013 01:42 PM

Well, assuming the women he bred with have only birthed his offspring, then 11 by 10 is still within acceptable parameters. (Providing they all recycle and use public transport). Benefit claims, however, may exclude him from future oxygen rights.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9598
Joined  20-10-2006

16 January 2013 16:42

Answerer - 16 January 2013 02:10 PM

http://www.americanliterature.com/author/shirley-jackson/short-story/the-lottery

Thanks for the reminder!  It’s been 30 years since I read that story and it has been in my mind since then.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

16 January 2013 16:51

Answerer - 16 January 2013 02:10 PM

Democracy is overrated and the lottery option creates too much grief and grudge with surviving friends and family.
A power based meritocracy is, in my opinion, the most viable option.
Democracy’s bulls#*t. Opiate of the masses etc.
It used to be two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Now that it’s two sheep and one wolf, it’s run its course.

< 1 2 3 4 >