‹ First  < 2 3 4

STOP BREEDING OR WE’LL KILL YOU!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  20-10-2006

16 January 2013 16:54

BigNose - 16 January 2013 11:10 AM

I’ve become attached to my toys and lusting after young ladies.

That’s the best reason for saving us, but the planet and natural selection don’t care what form life takes here.  Enjoy it while it lasts, but in the meantime you may want to learn how to sail and ride a horse.

BigNose

BigNose
Total Posts:  525
Joined  20-10-2012

16 January 2013 17:30

Skipshot - 16 January 2013 03:54 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts, but in the meantime you may want to learn how to sail and ride a horse.

Yes, sailing’s a sensible plan. As for horse riding – they’ll be gone long before us.

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

16 January 2013 17:33

Answerer - 16 January 2013 02:10 PM

http://www.americanliterature.com/author/shirley-jackson/short-story/the-lottery

Ooh, stoning. A little too hands on for me. Not too keen on manual labour, pressing buttons is far more civilised when it comes to de-consumerising people.

Not sure what that was all about though – had religious overtones rather than utilitarian.

ChaosRules

ChaosRules
Total Posts:  539
Joined  25-11-2008

21 February 2013 12:49

When one flies over Canada, from coast to coast, one can easily see the obvious- that every square inch of real estate is spoken for.

I agree with the majority of your post except for this sentence (also I’m not sure that 2.6 billion can be shown to be the “correct” sustainable population but won’t quibble on that point). Btw, I am also Canadian (from Montreal, now New Brunswick).

Only a small percentage of land in Canada has any sort of development on it. If you fly over Canada coast to coast (not along the US border), you will see that the huge majority of land is basically untouched. Fly over almost any European country and then you will get what you are describing. Think about it - 30 million people out of 7 billion living in one of the world’s largest countries (by land mass).

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5142
Joined  28-05-2009

21 February 2013 17:09

Population isn’t the culprit. Its lifestyle. Its the culture of entitlement that says the customer is always right. That’s what needs a genocide.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8636
Joined  20-02-2006

21 February 2013 18:36

Brick Bungalow - 21 February 2013 04:09 PM

Population isn’t the culprit. Its lifestyle. Its the culture of entitlement that says the customer is always right. That’s what needs a genocide.

Back in the good old days (1999) when there were only 6 billion of us, the world’s wealthiest 16% consumed 80% of the planet’s natural resources.

[ Edited: 21 February 2013 18:39 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8636
Joined  20-02-2006

21 February 2013 19:19

re. ‘STOP BREEDING OR WE’LL KILL YOU’

Two major U.S. exports that enriched the Founding Fathers - tobacco and rum.  Today, two major U.S. exports are tobacco and coal.  Considering the toxic air in Beijing, Mumbai etc. . .

BigNose

BigNose
Joined  20-10-2012

22 February 2013 12:18

A British drama “Utopia” has just played out on our TV screens here, where a shadowy organisation plotted to control the global population using chemical sterilisation.
They covertly introduced a manufactured, unique protein into the food chain (much like they did with horse meat) and activated the sterilisation process with targeted flu vaccinations. Brilliant!

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

22 February 2013 14:34

gsmonks - 21 February 2013 05:31 PM
Brick Bungalow - 21 February 2013 04:09 PM

Population is the culprit. There are too many humans on planet Earth. Global warming and climate change, pollution and waste, the detritus of our production, all of it is on an unsustainable scale.

Second only to population is Consumerism plus Capitalism. It is Consumerism that has given us Industrial Agriculture, for example, and Industrial Agriculture is incredibly wasteful and toxic. By “toxic” I mean that it ruins everything it touches- quality of life, families, the land, our fellow plant and animal species, everything.

The idea of a growth economy is toxic in and of itself. It’s a toxic, destructive and unsustainable idea based upon corrupt logic and human hubris and greed.

I think this is about right in the long term. Sure, we can keep shitting in our own nest. But not forever. And if we decide to keep doing what we’ve been doing we’d better have a bloody good idea of where we’re gonna go once this place is uninhabitable for 9 billion human organisms. Earth won’t care about us - we’re just another damn species and a difficult one at that. In fact she might be glad to get rid of us. I liek to think that the impact at the KT boundary earth gave a sih of relief. Those dinosaurs were ruining the joint. Maybe what happened to them will happen to us if we keep shitting in our nest and don’t figure out an exit strategy.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5142
Joined  28-05-2009

22 February 2013 15:10

Well, the good news is that we probably will exterminate ourselves. As species who outgrown their niche inevitably do. I’m betting on a super flu.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  20-10-2006

22 February 2013 18:38

Brick Bungalow - 22 February 2013 02:10 PM

Well, the good news is that we probably will exterminate ourselves. As species who outgrown their niche inevitably do. I’m betting on a super flu.

Kurt Vonnegut’s book Galapagos does a fun job of that.  The story, as I best remember, goes:  A group of tourists visit the Galapagos Islands and while there a revolution in Ecuador erupts and they can’t get back right away.  While they are there the news also breaks of a very subtle virus that had the sole symptom of a brief hot flash and attacked the ovum of woman rendering them impotent.  The disease spread quickly and caused such a disturbance that the tourists on the islands were forgotten and a Japanese woman who survived the atomic bombing ended up becoming the last of the species to be fertile.  They were stranded there and she had a daughter that had a birth defect that made her very hairy.  Well, that hairiness helped her survive the sun and cooler water of the islands.  Over time the Galapagos humans evolved to become sea creatures.

Or something like that.

Anyhow, the idea is that life on this planet is at the mercy of the vagaries of the universe and competition from other life forms.  Nothing is permanent, guaranteed, or promised except what we decide between ourselves.

[ Edited: 22 February 2013 20:58 by Skipshot]

‹ First  < 2 3 4